Singapore Expats

Johor Bahru for appliances?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Chris n Michelle

Johor Bahru for appliances?

Post by Chris n Michelle » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 3:33 pm

Hi all,

We are due to move into our new condo tomorrow and need the usual appliances, coffee machine, toaster, iron etc.
Just wondering if anybody knew if it was worth heading to Malaysia to get these sort of things as I have heard that your money would go further there?

Are there any tax issues i.e I may have to pay vat on these goods when I bring them back in etc?
Plan to buy all sorts of stuff as the condo is furnished but need all the smaller bits that you can imagine.

If I would only save a few $$'s then it would not be worth the trip there and back I am guessing?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 3:38 pm

Yes, upon inspection, you will be required to pay duty fee for these items. You should also consider about warranty issues. If your appliance breaks, would you be willing to go all the way there to and fro to deal with it?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 4:50 pm

the lynx wrote:Yes, upon inspection, you will be required to pay duty fee for these items. You should also consider about warranty issues. If your appliance breaks, would you be willing to go all the way there to and fro to deal with it?
I never been asked to pay duty on anything that looks electrical, to SG from Malaysia, whereas I have been asked to pay duty on a hair dryer and a coffee maker and such stuff, only when heading to Malaysia .. (though I managed to get the tax waived .. )

If I remember, worst case, Singapore ICA can ask you to pay the GST - if not duty, when we used to RMA stuff from US and UK and France, in my previous work place .. duty was waived upon production of RMA form, but GST was still levied ..

sudoku87

Post by sudoku87 » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 2:37 pm

the electronics in jb is not any cheaper

Chris n Michelle

Post by Chris n Michelle » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:36 am

Thanks all for your comments, ended up being a mixture between fairprice and the expo fair for some of the bits I need, the rest I will get as I go along

avaloni

Post by avaloni » Sat, 08 Feb 2014 9:35 am

I don't think the electronics are any cheaper. I believe you can get pretty good deals in SG too. If you think about warranty claims, the one-way trip alone might erode your savings immediately.