Singapore Expats

Potential Move to Singapore - Have a few questions

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:23 pm

x9200 wrote:This is you Sergei, but I bet the HDB rules have been created for some more typical inhabitants of this country and many of them will not provide any proper care of their pets. They will not do regular veterinary checks, they will allow them to roam freely and breed as they wish. As cats are more independent animals this problem will be more with them, not the dogs.
Interesting analogy with racism in some local policies: why banning all cats altogether if some people don't look after them properly. Because of a few cats all cats should be affected? Racism??? Or what is more correct term... animalism? Is there any proper term for it? :mrgreen:

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 2:38 pm

Sergei82 wrote: Interesting analogy with racism in some local policies: why banning all cats altogether if some people don't look after them properly. Because of a few cats all cats should be affected? Racism??? Or what is more correct term... animalism? Is there any proper term for it? :mrgreen:
Many laws anywhere are exactly this. Protecting the 'common good' and catering to the lowest common denominator.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 4:32 pm

- Big dogs are not allowed in HDBs (90% of all housing) and most condos (7% of all housing).
- Big dogs must be muzzled and on a leash at all times in public.
- Many locals dislike or are afraid of dogs and will avoid anyone with a dog.

I recommend you reconsider your plan to move the dog.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 5:28 pm

My condo in Hillview allows dogs, as do the neighbouring condos in this area. I myself have two, a 17kg bitch and a 23kg dog, which I guess is considered large by many accounts. I don't muzzle either when I go on the street and have never been told to.

I see people walking up to three adult labradors/retrievers, which is a lot of dog for one flat - my condo has no restrictions on number of pets per household.

Having said that, ridgebacks can be fairly imposing and if your condo neighbours feel afraid, I'm not sure what they can do to make your life difficult.
beppi wrote:- Big dogs are not allowed in HDBs (90% of all housing) and most Condos (7% of all housing).
- Big dogs must be muzzled and on a leash at all times in public.
- Many locals dislike or are afraid of dogs and will avoid anyone with a dog.

I recommend you reconsider your plan to move the dog.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 5:36 pm

I know of at least 2 ridgeback imported into Singapore. So, unless things have changed recently, they are not prohibited.
Look for a condo with large grounds (make sure they also allow you to walk your dogs in the grounds), a condo near a park area (east coast, mcritchie, seletar etc) or a landed property. Preferably a landed property like a black and white house where there really IS land - not just a concrete slab.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 6:34 pm

beppi wrote: - Many locals dislike or are afraid of dogs and will avoid anyone with a dog.
Shouldn't this be considered a bonus? Less people trying to 'blur' walk through you.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 6:54 pm

Do any of you know if you can "hire" a dog to walk? I often look after our neighbours dog when I'm on leave and would love to get out and about in Singapore with a dog.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 8:49 am

CaptainBullus wrote:Do any of you know if you can "hire" a dog to walk? I often look after our neighbours dog when I'm on leave and would love to get out and about in Singapore with a dog.
I'm pretty sure a lot of dog owners here would love to hire you to walk their dogs instead.

houmack

Post by houmack » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 3:53 am

Thank you all for your feedback. It's going to be a tough decision to make, when I have to make it (probably this weekend). Thankfully the Company I work for would take care of all the logistics and help with the transition. It's really good to get the insight on the culture as described by you guys.

RE: Muslims and dogs... I'm a born Muslim, now atheist. Not ALL Muslims think dogs are "filthy" animals. It depends on the type of Muslim and personal/family beliefs. I was born in Iran and have had dogs there and still have family there with dogs. Iran, as a country, is very open to pets. So it’s more of a personal issue, I would say. (But I’m an Atheist, so I would say that.)

Anyway – Appreciate all the feedback.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 08 Feb 2014 3:46 am

There are dogs all over the place in Batam. There is even one that runs across the fairway at Tering Bay and runs off with your golf ball.