Singapore Expats

Commuting from Bishan area to Orchard??

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
TandD

Commuting from Bishan area to Orchard??

Post by TandD » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 3:13 am

I'd appreciate your opinions on how easy it is to get to work on Orchard Rd if we lived in the Bishan area. Having looked on the map, it seems to be quite far??

We want to live in an area that's near green space. Our first preference is east of Botanical Gardens (D10?) but there doesn't seem to be many condos in the range of 4k.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Commuting from Bishan area to Orchard??

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 10:30 am

TandD wrote:I'd appreciate your opinions on how easy it is to get to work on Orchard Rd if we lived in the Bishan area. Having looked on the map, it seems to be quite far??
9 minutes. Hmmm, how far is 'far'!
http://www.smrt.com.sg/Trains/NetworkMap.aspx

TandD wrote:We want to live in an area that's near green space. Our first preference is east of Botanical Gardens (D10?) but there doesn't seem to be many condos in the range of 4k.
Nassim/Cluny neighbourhood. Perhaps the single most expensive in Singapore :o Perhaps you should be casting a broader net. Oh, and considering what kind of commute time you would fine acceptable.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Commuting from Bishan area to Orchard??

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 10:32 am

TandD wrote:I'd appreciate your opinions on how easy it is to get to work on Orchard Rd if we lived in the Bishan area. Having looked on the map, it seems to be quite far??

We want to live in an area that's near green space. Our first preference is east of Botanical Gardens (D10?) but there doesn't seem to be many condos in the range of 4k.
Very easy, and it's quite close. Just be aware that a lot of the condos in Bishan are a long walk from MRT if that was your intention.

And try this website, it will give you door to door commute instructions: www.gothere.sg

You can also use Google Maps. Google maps is tuned to have you walking farther than Gothere.sg. Gothere will avoid walks more than maybe 100m (quite extreme), but then google might have you walk 1.5km. Also extreme.

TandD

Post by TandD » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 9:57 pm

zzm9980 - Thank you for the link, really useful when I'm looking at some of the properties on '.'. I did try to use google previously but at times it seemed to take you a round about route?? 'Go there' seems to be clearer.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 12:03 am

TandD wrote:zzm9980 - Thank you for the link, really useful when I'm looking at some of the properties on '.'. I did try to use google previously but at times it seemed to take you a round about route?? 'Go there' seems to be clearer.

It really comes down to whether or not you prefer to walk a lot, or a litte. I find Google better for bus/MRT if you don't mind walking a bit more.

TandD

Post by TandD » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 2:11 am

If we were able to live half hr walk from Orchard rd then my husband would walk. Further a field, he doesn't mind combination of walking and public transport if the commute could be no more than 30mins ish.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 8:46 am

TandD wrote:If we were able to live half hr walk from Orchard rd then my husband would walk. Further a field, he doesn't mind combination of walking and public transport if the commute could be no more than 30mins ish.
I'm assuming you aren't already in Sg? A half hour walk in Sg heat can be pretty uncomfortable, especially in work clothes. The current weather isn't normal, wait for the humidity to return.

TandD

Post by TandD » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 8:53 am

No we're not there yet, doing lots of research beforehand in the hope that the move would go smoother especially as we've only got 2 weeks after arrival to find a place.

I had wondered if it would be too hot to walk but also thought that possibly it would be cooler early in the morning? ? Or is that a little optimistic?

TandD

Post by TandD » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 8:53 am

Last edited by TandD on Fri, 07 Feb 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 9:03 am

TandD wrote:No we're not there yet, doing lots of research beforehand in the hope that the move would go smoother especially as we've only got 2 weeks after arrival to find a place.

I had wondered if it would be too hot to walk but also thought that possibly it would be cooler early in the morning? ? Or is that a little optimistic?
It's cooler before 8am and after 7pm, so not really practical unless your husband is working 11 hour days. Lots of the walk ways are covered/shaded, but not all. Especially around condos. Generally only the HDB walkways are well covered.

Don't discount taxis either. That 30+ walking and MRT commute may only be 10 minutes in a $7-8 taxi ride. Likely not outside the budget of someone looking at condos in Bishan :)

TandD

Post by TandD » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 4:03 pm

No we're not there yet, doing lots of research beforehand in the hope that the move would go smoother especially as we've only got 2 weeks after arrival to find a place.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 4:06 pm

TandD wrote:No we're not there yet, doing lots of research beforehand in the hope that the move would go smoother especially as we've only got 2 weeks after arrival to find a place.

http://www.xootr.com.sg
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

TandD

Post by TandD » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 4:37 pm

Apologies, not sure why last message was posted several times (I know I only press submit once).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 4:46 pm

No worries. It happens. Usually in the afternoons as it seems to maybe be a load on the host's servers so time outs and we thing nothing has happened and hit submit again. then all come up with doubles. We normally clean it up when we see it.
:wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers