Singapore Expats

Proposing

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 9:26 pm

Making her pregnant will definitely ease the proposal attempt significantly... :roll:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 9:35 pm

Get her (and you) drunk, then propose on the dancefloor of Zouk.

Something similar to what I did.
nutnut

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 9:42 pm

You should only do this once. Put your all into it, I doubt it actually matters what you do providing she knows you tried. Maybe a champagne thing on the flyer. Do not try asking at a stop sign followed by a wedding 12 days later and no diamond for years. Trust me on that one.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 11:43 pm

A few days before taking my girl to a musical at Esplenade, I secretly dropped by the place on my own and picked up one of those folded glossy leaflets they always use to introduce the troupe and market the show. I scanned it all in and modified it so it contained my proposal in pretty bold text. The modification had precisely the same look and feel, same font, same colors, it blended right in with the leaflet. Actually quite easy to do with today's software.

Had the whole thing printed on the same kind of glossy paper and folded it the same way as the original. I kept it hidden on me while watching the musical with my girl later that week.

After the performance had ended, we walked by the Esplenade lobby on the way to the exit, at which point I casually said we should pick up a musical leaflet from the counter. A few minutes later, after reaching the car, I put the leaflet into my coat pocket.

So of course, while taking her home, we're still chatting about the show, how fun it was etc. When we reached her apartment, after we'd got out of the car, I mentioned one the musical character's outrageous red outfit that I knew actually wore a yellow outfit. She took the bait and after a minute or so asked me for the leaflet that we'd picked up earlier so she could use it to prove me wrong. Of course, I slipped her the modified leaflet instead.

Well, the look on her face when her eyes caught my inserted text was utterly priceless. She must have taken half a dozen double-takes between me and the leaflet, speechless all the while. When I went down on one knee, she lost it.

Anyway, she accepted, so yay. :D

Not majorly massive to set up, yet it packed plenty punch and was very rewarding eh.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 8:01 am

Sergei82 wrote:Making her pregnant will definitely ease the proposal attempt significantly... :roll:
I knew you would not be able to resist :lol:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 8:40 am

Steve1960 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:Making her pregnant will definitely ease the proposal attempt significantly... :roll:
I knew you would not be able to resist :lol:
He seriously needs to get laid. Ladies, this is your cue.

:twisted:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 9:12 am

I am struck by the creative heights some guys will go to, all to avoid having to utter the words 'Will you marry me?' :lol:

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 9:26 am

^ This. :wave:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 9:32 am

JR8 wrote:I am struck by the creative heights some guys will go to, all to avoid having to utter the words 'Will you marry me?' :lol:

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 08 Feb 2014 12:03 am

First of all, I agree with the 3 rules PMGNK posted.

Second of all, DON'T buy the ring until she says yes. But if you're going to get the ring ahead of time, please be sure you have her correct ring size. If she says yes, then immediately ask her if she'll accompany you to look for rings the following day (or weekend) because you want to make sure you get her something she'll be proud to wear. Maybe you could both get matching wedding bands.

Lastly, you don't have to do anything fancy and elaborate for the proposal. I know in the movies and on tv that's how it's done, but in real life it doesn't have to be that way. It'll just add pressure on you both. If she really loves you, just getting engaged will make her overjoyed.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Sat, 08 Feb 2014 2:49 am

It depends on your gf's style, is she the type who expects a very public proposal or something more intimate? You should have an idea by now.

My husband proposed to me at our apartment. I was working in Jakarta for 6 months and he visited me every weekend without fail. On my trip back to singapore, he picked me up at the airport. When I open the door, there's a Xmas tree and a banner saying "Marry me?". It's quite simple but that's all I needed.

Return to “General Discussions”