Singapore Expats

Proposing

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tws183

Proposing

Post by tws183 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 2:37 pm

Hello

I was planning to propose to the gf and was trying to come up with nice romantic ways to do it.
One such idea I had was trying to incorporate the Marina Bay lighting, but that was shot down as apparently it is not allowed.
Other idea was perhaps having the skywriting, but there doesn't seem to be one...or I'm not looking hard enough.

I was hoping on having some kind of Singapore landmark and having a scenic way to proposing, but the options seem very slim in Singapore.

Was hoping I can have a bit of a brainstorming session here. Was hoping to do it in the next week or so...would appreciate any ideas!

Thank you all in advance!!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 2:40 pm

What's your budget?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 2:41 pm

Rule 1 - don't buy the ring unless said GF is involved.

Rule 2 - don't do it in public or crowded places where she may feel obliged to say yes but secretly doesn't want to say yes.

Rule 3 - don't propose by SMS or Whatsapp or Viber.

Get your proposal put on a banner.... lassoo some friends into hanging it from an overpass (china town?) and the propose a walk down the street?

Or maybe hang it on the bridge over the river and go on a river cruise underneath it?

Either way you'll need some help to quickly raise and then lower the banner.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 2:42 pm

I just hope Sergei doesn't see this one!

tws183

Post by tws183 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 2:43 pm

Hopefully not a massive amount!
Maybe somewhere in the sub 500 area...if that is feasible.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 2:46 pm

Take her to somewhere private and romantic and propose to her in intimate way. Unless she likes big flashy show with huge crowd of people, of course, and that says a lot about the woman you're about to marry.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 2:47 pm

Steve1960 wrote:I just hope Sergei doesn't see this one!
:D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 2:51 pm

^^ :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 3:04 pm

Steve1960 wrote:I just hope Sergei doesn't see this one!
I'm struggling with myself. So far the progress is good: I haven't posted anything yet and thus haven't screwed up all the good feelings this guy has. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 5:06 pm

tws183 wrote:Hopefully not a massive amount!
Maybe somewhere in the sub 500 area...if that is feasible.
Spammer in the making.

tws183

Post by tws183 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks for all the genuine answers!

I do also realize that things are expensive in Singapore...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 5:22 pm

the lynx wrote:Take her to somewhere private and romantic and propose to her in intimate way. Unless she likes big flashy show with huge crowd of people, of course, and that says a lot about the woman you're about to marry.
It is an incredibly intimate, once in a lifetime thing. I think the scale of the event is HUGE enough without trying to imitate some Hollywood Rom-Com.

Whilst you're there stammering and inhaling words, I think the most horrible thing would be to have an audience of tourists.

Keep it simple, is my advice!

p.s. I consciously didn't have a ring made in advance. Two reasons A) I thought she should have the say over the design, as it would be her wearing it. And B) having a ring made up, without the recipients knowledge is tricky, particularly on the precise sizing. Rings with stones do not tend to go together with 'resizing' very well. So it's pragmatic to do that when you have full access to The Finger :)

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 5:45 pm

I found what one of my friend did as quite interesting (but nothing Singaporean in that). He took her for a cruise and tipped the performers in the cruise to create a moment in the performance for him to propose. Apparently cruise performers always involve members from crowd in their acts, so this ended up as a nice surprise to her.

PS:- Do it only if you are 100% sure that she will say YES. If not, Please dont spoil the cruise ride for her by proposing.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 5:56 pm

^ This is not about you and her, and that unrepeatable moment.

This is about you playing to an audience of x00 strangers, you knowingly, her not.

Call me British, but I find it ghastly and vulgar!

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 6:13 pm

if you need someone to help you out on that day, i'd be glad to help (physically), maybe hold a banner or bring something over?

Return to “General Discussions”