Singapore Expats

Inviting visitors to the rented house

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:41 am

RockyRambo wrote:
x9200 wrote:If you share some areas with her like the kitchen or some bathroom then IMHO it is a privacy issue. She agreed to have you as a stranger in her house and not a bunch of other people she knows nothing about. It's not only your stuff over there and she has full right to decide to whom she is going to show it. Same goes the other way around, so she has no right to bring her guests to you bedroom without your consent but for the fact the rest of the place or some common areas are under her, not yours possession. The only case you might have if you have a separate entrance and share nothing with her.
It's a landed house and I share nothing with her. I have my own room and I am not asking the guest who comes over to share the kitchen or come in the common area/ space. He/she will just use the entrance to come inside the premises. I am also ready to inform her a priori, so it can't be a privacy issue.
You have no control over your guest, therefore you cannot control what they may or may not do. As I and the poster above noted, with only a single entrance through which common property must be traversed, you have been expressly told it a no go.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:44 am

RockyRambo wrote:
Beeroclock wrote:
RockyRambo wrote: Exactly, so that's not explicitly written in my contract that I can't bring guests over hence it is not actionable. It's a case of mutual disagreement between her and myself.
er, not exactly, the interpretation I draw is you need to have a clause allowing you to have visitors with pre notice, etc.
So that also doesn't mean that whatever is not mentioned in the contract could or should be forced upon me. Being chimerical has no limitations whatsoever, so that wouldn't mean that things should be pushed down the throat of the tenant. The moot point is to have both parties abide by the written agreement.
No, it means what is not expressly permitted by the Landlord is NOT permitted. You are using her private property to get to your rental property, therefore she controls access to any private property that you have not expressly rented, therefore, she is able to set any rules about HER property that she likes. Full Stop.

The moot point is your T&A only covers the rental on YOUR ROOM, not the rest of the property. The landlord retains the full rights to the rest of the property. She allows YOU and only you to traverse her non-leased out property to access your room. She has given nobody else permission. She has retained that right by not relinquishing to you in the T&A.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 7:06 am

Rambo, do you think you are permitted to enter her room or rise a 3m high sculpture of Mickey Mouse in front of the house? I bet there is nothing about it in your tenancy agreement.

What counts in situations like this are standard/typical customary habits (what majority of the society finds acceptable, standard) and while it is perfectly acceptable and seeing normal to have guests when you live alone, not so much if you share the place.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Inviting visitors to the rented house

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 8:58 am

RockyRambo wrote: Before I rented it, she however made a verbal mention with a normal hint/ tone that she has requested everyone to keep friends outside but there was never a categorical strict statement from her about it.
You have said it clearly that the LL have told you to keep friends outside. Looking through your responses, if I am the LL, I would definitely put this clause into the contract, or better, not rent it to you if you have expressed concerns, right from the start. When your LL mention this to you, you should immediately reject the offer and look for another place, if you expects visitors, instead of waiting till you moved in, and kick a big fuss over it.

While you are paying rents, do have some respect that the house belongs to the LL, and she has the rights to determine who she allows into the apartment.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 9:51 am

This is a compromise you take by renting just room, not a full property. You're paying less, so you get less rights. Deal with it.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:06 am

Show her the first signs of aggression, and then explain it with your high libido and unsatisfied sexual needs. :mrgreen:

(all this will teach you to aim for renting a whole unit in the future - yes, somethimes even adults can feel themselves as teens in SG: itching in between, no place to do it)

P.S.: My cat was insisting on having a boyfriend, I had to sterilize her on Monday... dunno why I'm telling this, just reminded me. :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:15 am

Invite your guests in when she's not around....

Look you have my full sympathy... When I was a young lad here I rented a room from Mrs Bannargee in Faber Valley. I invited some young lass I had met somewhere over. We were deep into it when she knocked on the door and said "Mr Smith, you're not allowed to have guests stay over you know!"./

The thought had never even occured to me that Mrs Bannargee would be concerned.... to have such a rule in Australia would be unheard of. However, as another poster pointed out, there are local customs with unwritten rules and it appears that this is one of them.

So in the future I stuck to inviting girls over when Mrs Bannargee was NOT around and screwing them all over the rest of the house just to spite her.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:36 am

PNGMK wrote:
So in the future I stuck to inviting girls over when Mrs Bannargee was NOT around and screwing them all over the rest of the house just to spite her.
LOL Mrs. Bannargee probably did the same on your bed when you were not around!! :o
Last edited by QRM on Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:37 am

PNGMK wrote:So in the future I stuck to inviting girls over when Mrs Bannargee was NOT around and screwing them all over the rest of the house just to spite her.
:lol:

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:27 am

PNGMK wrote:Invite your guests in when she's not around....

Look you have my full sympathy... When I was a young lad here I rented a room from Mrs Bannargee in Faber Valley. I invited some young lass I had met somewhere over. We were deep into it when she knocked on the door and said "Mr Smith, you're not allowed to have guests stay over you know!"./

The thought had never even occured to me that Mrs Bannargee would be concerned.... to have such a rule in Australia would be unheard of. However, as another poster pointed out, there are local customs with unwritten rules and it appears that this is one of them.

Hopefully, Mr. Bannargee did not mistake some of the stuff in that house for leftover hair gel.

To get back on topic, I am a landlord and have not allowed any male visitor to stay for the night with our female tenant. This has been communicated to her early via a set of house rules (which includes save electricity by not turning on aircon when not around, cleaning the kitchen after use, no male visitors etc etc). We have allowed her parents to visit her and stay with her for a few weeks while they were on vacation. I believe that it is common for landlords who are renting out a room to disallow visitors with some exceptions for family.

RockyRambo

Post by RockyRambo » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 2:40 pm

To all of the posters on this thread,

I apologize sincerely for providing the wrong information. She is not the landlord or the landlady. She is just the main tenant who is subletting the house. She has sublet it to me. I have neither communicated nor met with the land lord/ landlady. I have not signed an agreement with the landlord/lady. I have signed an agreement with the main tenant only and that agreeement is between two parties (me and the main tenant).
Now, can a main tenant impose such a condition on me which has never been communicated to me by the landlord himself/herself? and is not mentioned anywhere on the contract. She did NOT inform me beforehand when I was renting. She had just made a verbal hint to it but didn't come out as strict and categorical as she is doing right now. Also, my agreement doesn't say that I can't use the deposit money in place of my one month rental , should I wish to leave. The communication of the main tenant with me has been very acerbic and imposing. I don't think so I should listen to the demands of the main tenant like this.!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 2:46 pm

Maybe she wants to have sex with you herself, you've yet to realize that! :D

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 3:01 pm

That opens a whole different question, whether the room was even legally sub-let... have you seen her tenancy agreement to confirm she can sub-let a room?

RockyRambo

Post by RockyRambo » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 3:09 pm

AngMoG wrote:That opens a whole different question, whether the room was even legally sub-let... have you seen her tenancy agreement to confirm she can sub-let a room?
No I have not. Now, what she is doing is, instead of communicating with me directly, she is directing me to an xyz email id for any queries. She is saying that she is not supposed to communicate with me on this as she herself is a sub tenant and I can't come up with demands and expecatations from her.
My guess is she might have the sub letting agreement from the landlord. Then what should I be doing? Why should i be listening to the demands of the main tenant?
Moreover, my agreement does not explcitly say that I can't use the security deposit in place of a month's rent, should I wish to terminate

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 3:12 pm

Mmm...

Ok - I've been a main tenant before and sub-let a room out.

I had a simple rule, "no hookers or drugs".

Of course the first time I was out of town, that rule went out the window. Along with half my moveable furniture. I was awoken at 3am in China by the condo guard calling my phone to ask me; "Mr Smith, why are you throwing your furniture out the window into the pool?". My idiot sub-tenant had brought a hooker in, had a dispute over payment. She (he) had pushed him out of the flat, locked the door and proceeded to trash the place!

So yeah... there are reasons for the main tenant to exercise control... quite probably because they fear losing their bond or their tenancy.