Singapore Expats

skiing clothes in Singapore

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Eddie the Eagle

skiing clothes in Singapore

Post by Eddie the Eagle » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 11:11 am

I'm going for a conference at a ski resort in the Rocky Mountains, but unfortunately I forgot my skiing clothes back home. So does anyone know about any place where you can buy decent clothes for (alpine) skiing in Singapore?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 12:53 pm

http://www.coldwear.com.sg/ is one such store. There are others but the names elude me at the moment.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 1:28 pm

http://www.outdoorlife.com.sg/ to be honest you should just get some thermals, hat and gloves and wait until you arrive at the destination where they will have a much better and cheaper selction.

The chances of you ending up standing in the freezing cold for more than a few minutes between SQ and your destination is pretty slim, you just jump from one heated environment to another.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 1:45 pm

You could try the salvation army store on Serangoon Road - buy some crap stuff and throw it away when your done.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 5:27 pm

Agree with QRM. If you any choice, why fight the tide and try and buy ski clothing in SG?

I'd seek tips on ski-gear outlets at destination, from local sources. Size up their offering online. Check their opening hours. Have in mind roughly what it is that you need. Then as soon as I arrived I'd drop my gear at the hotel and go and get kitted up.

This after all is what most people do when they go skiing and have to hire gear.

If all you need is something like salopettes, it's going to be straight forward.

There were times when I was skiing in Japan where I'd wear jeans, thick trad Norwegian sweater, and a waxed cotton Barbour hunting jacket on top. Things would get a little frosty when the sun started going down (the damp and then crisp-frozen jacket could stand up on it's own, and the jeans were pretty cryogenic on the nadges), but they did what was needed and saved a spend of £00's.

The order of gear as I bought it over the starting years was:
Goggles, hat + gloves, boots, salopettes, skis + poles, jacket.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 8:01 pm

Most ski lodges in the US will usually have heavily discounted gear, much more than you'd ever get in Singapore. As long as you don't mind the 'off' colors at least. I'm thinking like highlighter yellow or kawasaki green.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 9:59 am

QRM wrote:http://www.outdoorlife.com.sg/ to be honest you should just get some thermals, hat and gloves and wait until you arrive at the destination where they will have a much better and cheaper selction.

The chances of you ending up standing in the freezing cold for more than a few minutes between SQ and your destination is pretty slim, you just jump from one heated environment to another.
Good tip. Thanks.