Singapore Expats

ADSL and Fibre?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
aquarianx

ADSL and Fibre?

Post by aquarianx » Sun, 02 Feb 2014 11:21 pm

Hi,
Thank you for all the useful information in this forum.
I have one specific question. I am moving to Singapore later this year. I like to know if it is possible to have fibre broadband from someone else (say myrepublic) and still be able to get MioTV. I gather that Singtel require you to be connected to their home line. In that case is it possible to have an ADSL bundle with Singtel and a myrepublic fibre broadband? Thank you.[/b]

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: ADSL and Fibre?

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 10:11 am

aquarianx wrote:Hi,
Thank you for all the useful information in this forum.
I have one specific question. I am moving to Singapore later this year. I like to know if it is possible to have fibre broadband from someone else (say myrepublic) and still be able to get MioTV. I gather that Singtel require you to be connected to their home line. In that case is it possible to have an ADSL bundle with Singtel and a myrepublic fibre broadband? Thank you.[/b]
Yes, completely possible. Before you do that though, why do you want Mio TV? It's a terrible service and mostly universally hated. If you tell us you're an EPL fan, there is still a better option:

MyRepublic and ViewQuest have a caching/dns feature on their fiber lines so you can stream video from almost any country without a VPN. For EPL, this includes Al Jazeera Sports. You can sign up for them and stream the video. IT's much cheaper and better quality than MIO Tv.

aquarianx

Post by aquarianx » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 2:08 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I had a look at MioTV and Starhub when I visited recently. The picture quality and box quality were better for MioTV I thought. I will still be using netflix , hulu etc. I will need access to as many tamil channels as possible and MioTV has the best options there.

The reason I prefer VQ or MR for broadband is the presumed low latency for international websites. I am open to suggestions though.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 2:23 pm

aquarianx wrote:Thank you for the detailed reply.

I had a look at MioTV and Starhub when I visited recently. The picture quality and box quality were better for MioTV I thought. I will still be using netflix , hulu etc. I will need access to as many tamil channels as possible and MioTV has the best options there.

The reason I prefer VQ or MR for broadband is the presumed low latency for international websites. I am open to suggestions though.
VQ and MR are your best options by far for broadband. The three major ISPs (Singtel, M1, and Starhub) all use transparent proxying on your HTTP and HTTPS connections, causing all kinds of issues. MR and VQ both have options for this kind of thing:
https://secure.myrepublic.com.sg/add-ons/teleport.php

I can't help on Tamil TV, sorry. Just know Mio and Starhub both are terrible. See if someone sells a cheap Android powered IPTV box with Tamil channels you could buy? Maybe in Sim Lim or Little India.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 8:29 pm

aquarianx wrote:I will need access to as many tamil channels as possible and MioTV has the best options there.
Frankly, I have 3 of the 5 available on Starhub and I find 1 local Tamil and 2 India Tamil stations are far too much aready.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aquarianx

Post by aquarianx » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 1:12 am

@ zzm9980

I have used the various sites such as YuppTV in the past. I intend to come back to a normal set-top box because of the ease of use as well as the consistent quality.

Most fora seem to agree that MR and VQ offer a better broadband experience. I still like the discounted bundles offered by Singtel for example. The kids channels are also useful.

@ sundaymorningstaple

The couple of channels is enough, it's the ease of use (for the Mrs and the in-laws!) that makes it preferable.

So, it is possible to have fibre broadband from MR and VQ and still have a TV, home phone, mobile bundle from Singtel then. Any links to this please?

aquarianx

Post by aquarianx » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 1:13 am

MioTv does have more Tamil channels that starhub!
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aquarianx wrote:I will need access to as

many tamil channels as possible and MioTV has the best options there.
Frankly, I have 3 of the 5 available on Starhub and I find 1 local Tamil and 2 India Tamil stations are far too much aready.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 6:44 am

aquarianx wrote:MioTv does have more Tamil channels that starhub!
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aquarianx wrote:I will need access to as

many tamil channels as possible and MioTV has the best options there.
My whole point. Starhub has 5. I get three of them. I find that 3 is more than enough. I could care less how many more MioTV has as three is more than sufficient.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aquarianx

Post by aquarianx » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 1:37 pm

If I do decide to go with Singtel, if only for the better over-all bundle, how do I get it with fibre broadband from someone else please.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 2:34 pm

I'd be interested in knowing that as well, as that's what's always stopped me from jumping to VQ or MR as well. Also, would the set top boxes for MioTV or Starhub even work on a VQ/MR fibre line? I have my doubts as you wouldn't have access to their servers I'd think.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 6:27 pm

Singtel can also bring MIO TV in over an ADSL phone line. That is how they do it for residences without fiber hookups (few now).

SMS, if you call ViewQuest or MyRepublic they would probably be more than happy to walk you through it and give you the best way to do it. They're very un-Singaporean with their customer support. They actually help people and seem to go out of their way to do it. You can even PM them on the hardware zone forums for pretty quick responses.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks. My Starhub contract is already up for renewal but as all are on a single bill (mobile, 200 mbps Fibre, TV grouping) I'd like to be able to keep the phone without recontracting but ditch the broadband but keep the Starhub package. Will be interesting to see what they can do.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 8:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Thanks. My Starhub contract is already up for renewal but as all are on a single bill (mobile, 200 mbps Fibre, TV grouping) I'd like to be able to keep the phone without recontracting but ditch the broadband but keep the Starhub package. Will be interesting to see what they can do.
I just did similar, I ditched broadband and internet (took up ViewQwest, which rocks!) still have phones, didn't have to break contracts or recontract or anything of the sort.

Just my tuppence worth
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for that! :cool:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:04 am

My Republic also seems to give you $200 credit if you had to terminate an old contract to switch over:

https://secure.myrepublic.com.sg/pricing.php

and scroll down a bit.