Singapore Expats

Triple Layer Chocolate cake

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
valleyman
Regular
Regular

Triple Layer Chocolate cake

Post by valleyman » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 5:27 pm

I am looking for a place to buy a triple layer chocolate cake. The really sinful, moist, chocolaty variety - the types you see on cookery shows. Not the regular fluffy ones.

Any recommendations ?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Triple Layer Chocolate cake

Post by JR8 » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 5:53 pm

valleyman wrote:I am looking for a place to buy a triple layer chocolate cake. The really sinful, moist, chocolaty variety - the types you see on cookery shows. Not the regular fluffy ones.

Any recommendations ?
Thinking aloud: You know, sometimes I wonder if I should set up a cake-baking company selling the real product.... <stares>

In my experience most cake retailed in SG is absolute sh ... sh ... of a shocking quality. No butter, but margarine. No cream, but some ultra-white spray on stuff. Not real chocolate, but stuff with such a low cocoa content it doesn't even taste like chocolate.

As a result I will almost always decline cake here, unless I feel obliged to take a piece for the sake of politeness (then you take a bite, and lose the rest somewhere on the property).

Decent cake here is where you either have to go full-end expat, or bake it yourself.

If you're in any way up for baking one yourself I'll post a recipe. In fact I've posted it before 'Nigella's triple chocolate [fudge?] cake'. Serve that up warm with a scoop of good vanilla ice-cream (or ginger ice cream) on top and most people (never mind SGns) won't know what's hit them. It's like the uncut 'crack version' of chocolate cake :-D

p.s. You could layer it once with something like bitter cherry jam. But as with many things, 'less is more'.

------------
edit to add
------------

http://www.food.com/recipe/dense-chocol ... son-137303

I note a reader comment: 'I love this cake. As Nigella says: "the essence of all that is desirable in chocolate - dark intensity isn't toyed with nor upstaged by any culinary elaboration. The plainest of plain loaf cakes - damp, heady, aromatic!" What can I say?'

It might be plain, but it's 1st rate quality ingredients speak clearly for themselves.

It also might look a little quirky (it's pitched at adults really, and it's almost a fudge cake, more so than a children's party piece where they need the Disney type wow-visuals)...

I've done various versions of this cake. Including a pretty x-rated one incorporating halved cherries poached in rum. The remaining rum then getting flambéed on top :-)

Nigella, great chef, great writer. [Respect!]
See Google/Images of it here... http://tinyurl.com/l7rlp34

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Sat, 01 Feb 2014 8:13 pm

I think you need to make a trip to Awfully Chocolate, their chocolate cake is pretty good. http://www.awfullychocolate.com/Singapore/pdt.php

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 01 Feb 2014 8:39 pm

snowqueen wrote:I think you need to make a trip to Awfully Chocolate, their chocolate cake is pretty good. http://www.awfullychocolate.com/Singapore/pdt.php
They seem reluctant to disclose what ingredients they use. Not a good sign to me...

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Sat, 01 Feb 2014 10:00 pm

I bake that chocolate cake :P