Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore for a new business venture

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Sat, 01 Feb 2014 8:09 am

austinpowers wrote:ok...here's an afterthought. Since everyone's suggesting that the budgets will be quite tight as far as rentals are concerned, how about if we skip the furnished office rental and I could run things from home for the first 6 months?

I know in Dubai we can't do this because in order to get a business license, you need to show an office contract. What's the scene here in SG?

This way, instead of cutting it short at SGD1500, I could look at SGD2500 for probably a 2bedroom HDB or condo if it comes my way. Makes sense?
You can work from home, don't worry, however the company will need to have registered office address. This is something . / Janus will provide to you for the invoicing purposes. If MOM is going to request additional documents from you such as contract for the office lease, Rik-vin will prepare a document stating that your company is using their registered address.

You don't need an office in Dubai either, you can rent a flexi desk and depending on the Emirate it can be as low as DHS 5,000 (S$1700) per year.

I understand the reason you want to move to Singapore (target: citizenship), but keep in mind that Singapore is much, much more expensive than Dubai. It would be no go for me if the salary is the same in both cities.

austinpowers

Post by austinpowers » Sat, 01 Feb 2014 4:45 pm

stiwi wrote: I understand the reason you want to move to Singapore (target: citizenship), but keep in mind that Singapore is much, much more expensive than Dubai. It would be no go for me if the salary is the same in both cities.
Very true. Since its the initial year, the package i'm starting with is just the minimum. Once we get off the ground, in a year or two, I'll be looking at around SGD8-9K. One step at a time. Like someone else pointed out in an earlier response, my budget will be stretched in every perspective, so im ready for that for now.
"I gotta testify, come up in the spot looking extra fly
For the day I die, Imma touch the sky!" ~ Kanye West