Singapore Expats

Online flight booking sites suck

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Online flight booking sites suck

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:06 pm

I know I can go Singapore to Charlotte NC via LHR.

You think any of those Zuji/Kayak/Expedia sites can work that one out?

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Online flight booking sites suck

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:22 pm

PNGMK wrote:I know I can go Singapore to Charlotte NC via LHR.

Zuji has one for $ 5,330 only (SIN - LHR - Charlotte - SIN)... Just select multi-city/stopover. Not sure what the issue is...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Online flight booking sites suck

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:32 pm

PNGMK wrote:I know I can go Singapore to Charlotte NC via LHR.

I like Kayak for international flights. Try it. I don't book through them though, it's almost always cheaper or better to book through the airline they quote you on. By better, it's about the same rate but you'll have refundable/easily changable tickets. When you book through though services sometimes you can't even select a seat.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:07 pm

I never seem to find these mythical bargains myself. I looked at a simple trip Singapore to Manila and return. Sociable flight times as we are travelling with a 3 year old (i.e. no 3am flights!). Two adults one child:

Cebu Pacific 900 SGD

Singapore Airlines direct 900 SGD

Kayak Singapore Airlines 3,000 USD

Kayak Jetstar 670 USD

Kayak Cebu Pacific returned no available flights when forwarded to the travel agent web site

I went with Singapore Airlines direct and used the few air miles I have to reduce the payment to 600 SGD

I guess if I was prepared to fly in the early hours of the morning I might pick up a bargain.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:55 pm

I book directly with the line if possible but if not for some reason I typically use Zuji. Not that they are any perfect but no major problems so far.
We are going late spring this year to Europe for 2weeks plus, with Emirates this time and exactly the same trip for our whole family was ca S$100 more expensive if booked via Zuji => ~2.5% commission.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 2:29 pm

Steve1960 wrote:I never seem to find these mythical bargains myself. I looked at a simple trip Singapore to Manila and return. Sociable flight times as we are travelling with a 3 year old (i.e. no 3am flights!). Two adults one child:.
You will never find them because of too much demand. Either they won't offer them (regular airlines) or the countless Filipinos who live in Singapore snapped them up already (budget airlines) a year ago. Subscribing to the Cebu Pacific mailing list is still too slow (they have the lowest fares so far). Some Filipinos actually have their website as their home page or follow them on twitter.

The only time they don't have good value is if you're booking late Christmas flights; then, you're better off booking regular airlines.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 3:12 pm

nakatago wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:I never seem to find these mythical bargains myself. I looked at a simple trip Singapore to Manila and return. Sociable flight times as we are travelling with a 3 year old (i.e. no 3am flights!). Two adults one child:.
You will never find them because of too much demand. Either they won't offer them (regular airlines) or the countless Filipinos who live in Singapore snapped them up already (budget airlines) a year ago. Subscribing to the Cebu Pacific mailing list is still too slow (they have the lowest fares so far). Some Filipinos actually have their website as their home page or follow them on twitter.

The only time they don't have good value is if you're booking late Christmas flights; then, you're better off booking regular airlines.
Yes good points. I have picked up really cheap deals with Cebu Pacific in the past but only by booking early and travelling in the early hours of the morning.

This time I was booking for the last week of February, way too late. I kick myself because I have been talking about this trip to Manila for months then realised this week I hadn't booked the flights!! Doh

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 4:51 pm

Steve1960 wrote:I never seem to find these mythical bargains myself. I looked at a simple trip Singapore to Manila and return. Sociable flight times as we are travelling with a 3 year old (i.e. no 3am flights!). Two adults one child:

Cebu Pacific 900 SGD

Singapore Airlines direct 900 SGD

Kayak Singapore Airlines 3,000 USD

Kayak Jetstar 670 USD

Kayak Cebu Pacific returned no available flights when forwarded to the travel agent web site

I went with Singapore Airlines direct and used the few air miles I have to reduce the payment to 600 SGD

I guess if I was prepared to fly in the early hours of the morning I might pick up a bargain.
I could have referred you a deal for sub-300 $ on a regular carrier-SIN-MNL-SIN !!!