Singapore Expats

New job in Singapore - advice needed!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 9:09 am

zzm9980 wrote: The joke about them being cheaper than a girlfriend is also partially rooted in truth. Singaporean girls are notoriously materialistic (Not all, but plenty. IT's the culture) about wanting expensive gifts, fancy dinners, etc. Anything that's pricey in Singapore. So you'll probably pay less-per-romp by just hiring the OT girls for the night.

Humor is much less funny when spelled out :(
well, somebody said, you pay for the girl to LEAVE .. LOL

btw, OT has some super pricey Girl bars - and a girl drink can go anything from 50 to 150

so, if you are into cheap drinks for yourself, and can avoid the temptations (of female kind and the best-of-both-world kind) then OT is an ok Place to go ..

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 9:33 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Bubacus wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: The bars and girls are cheaper in a place called Orchard Tower than normal bars and normal girlfriends (per-drink and per-lay, respectively). Just a pro-tip. :)
LOL. Thank you for the tip, but it's a little unusual for me to purchase 'girlfriends' so i'll stick to the cheaper bars in Orchard Tower :)
Haha sorry. Just a lot of tongue in cheek humor. Sometimes it's lost in text, or if someone's first language isn't English (not sure in your case). Orchard Tower has a lot of bars where the "working girls" go. The drinks are also among the cheaper ones in Singapore, as it's assumed you'll also being buying watered down drinks for the girls.

The joke about them being cheaper than a girlfriend is also partially rooted in truth. Singaporean girls are notoriously materialistic (Not all, but plenty. IT's the culture) about wanting expensive gifts, fancy dinners, etc. Anything that's pricey in Singapore. So you'll probably pay less-per-romp by just hiring the OT girls for the night.

Humor is much less funny when spelled out :(
*thumbs up*

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:10 am

ecureilx wrote: btw, OT has some super pricey Girl bars - and a girl drink can go anything from 50 to 150

so, if you are into cheap drinks for yourself, and can avoid the temptations (of female kind and the best-of-both-world kind) then OT is an ok Place to go ..
If we ever meet for drinks, ask me about the time I spent 1.9 million rupiah in < 10 minutes on 26 Lady-drink shots in Jakarta... :D :cool: Yeah, it was a case of being a bit tipsy, misplacing a decimal in my head during the cost conversion, and being... "distracted".

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:17 am

zzm9980 wrote:If we ever meet for drinks, ask me about the time I spent 1.9 million rupiah in < 10 minutes on 26 Lady-drink shots in Jakarta... :D :cool: Yeah, it was a case of being a bit tipsy, misplacing a decimal in my head during the cost conversion, and being... "distracted".
Oh and pray-tell what might have 'distracted' you? :twisted:

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:29 am

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: btw, OT has some super pricey Girl bars - and a girl drink can go anything from 50 to 150

If we ever meet for drinks, ask me about the time I spent 1.9 million rupiah in < 10 minutes on 26 Lady-drink shots in Jakarta... :D :cool: Yeah, it was a case of being a bit tipsy, misplacing a decimal in my head during the cost conversion, and being... "distracted".
Did you f### her after? :mrgreen:

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 1:11 pm

zzm9980 wrote: If we ever meet for drinks, ask me about the time I spent 1.9 million rupiah in < 10 minutes on 26 Lady-drink shots in Jakarta... :D :cool: Yeah, it was a case of being a bit tipsy, misplacing a decimal in my head during the cost conversion, and being... "distracted".
Ouch. Reminds me of 4 years ago in Wan Chai and a bar bill of 1,000 SGD under very similar circumstances.

I had a strong word with myself the next day. At my age and with all the International travel I had experienced I should not have allowed myself to be suckered despite being tipsy!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 2:57 pm

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:If we ever meet for drinks, ask me about the time I spent 1.9 million rupiah in < 10 minutes on 26 Lady-drink shots in Jakarta... :D :cool: Yeah, it was a case of being a bit tipsy, misplacing a decimal in my head during the cost conversion, and being... "distracted".
Two girls from Bandung, and the dancers on stage. God I need to visit Bandung.

edit: it was Mali-boro if any of you visit places of ill-repute in Jakarta. Highly recommended. :cool:
Last edited by zzm9980 on Wed, 29 Jan 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 2:57 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

Nope.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 2:59 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: If we ever meet for drinks, ask me about the time I spent 1.9 million rupiah in < 10 minutes on 26 Lady-drink shots in Jakarta... :D :cool: Yeah, it was a case of being a bit tipsy, misplacing a decimal in my head during the cost conversion, and being... "distracted".
Nope.
Not drunk enough, huh?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 3:02 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:

edit: it was Mali-boro if any of you visit places of ill-repute in Jakarta. Highly recommended. :cool:
Maliboro is the famous shopping district in Jogya, like Orchard. But didn't walk far enough to find the OT-equivalent at the end of Maliboro.

Just saying.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 4:01 pm

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote: Oh and pray-tell what might have 'distracted' you? :twisted:

Maliboro is the famous shopping district in Jogya, like Orchard. But didn't walk far enough to find the OT-equivalent at the end of Maliboro.

Just saying.
Oh, it's also the name of a dance club/spa/karaoke place in Jakarta. Probably named after that, although they have lots of spoofed 'Marlboro man' signs outside, so I wasn't sure if it maybe it was named after him.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 4:02 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote: Did you f### her after? :mrgreen:
Nope.
Not drunk enough, huh?
There were two, which to choose? I'm indecisive.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 4:10 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Nope.
Not drunk enough, huh?
This means both are semi-ugly. You had to get back to doing more shots. :)

NikaAddis

Post by NikaAddis » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:16 am

I think your deal sounds pretty good. Since you're single I would def recommend to share a flat with someone, especially since you're gonna have your own bathroom. CQ is central and offers a lot of bars, etc.
As for your sports activities, most flats/condos have facilities such as pool, tennis court, basketball court, gym. So you won't have extra costs for that. Ask your friend what facilities you'll be able to use for free.
In the first couple of weeks you'll spend a lot buying stuff for the flat, getting internet, going out to meet people, etc. Since you're single and like to go on dates this can turn pretty expensive, too. We try to cook and eat at home and only go out for drinks during happy hour (instead of going for dinner and drinks). Also when it's a bigger party it's easier to gather at home for some pre-drinks instead of spending the entire night drinking in bars :).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:08 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote: Not drunk enough, huh?
This means both are semi-ugly. You had to get back to doing more shots. :)
I assure you not. I'll tell you about it in person once I'm drunk enough some day. Or, we can go to Jakarta together.