Singapore Expats

Should I choose another place and lose money or stay?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
HA
Regular
Regular

Post by HA » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:12 pm

I agree with ZZM.

IMO, the good faith deposit is hers to keep if you change your mind. If that were not the case, the agents/landlords will continue to show places right until the documents were sign - clearly not possible.

In addition, $400 is not that big a money in the larger schema of things. I would simply see it as a lesson learnt and move on. $400 is not worth the hassle of involving the small courts/police.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:15 pm

L-Ian wrote:400$. Now she is requiring to keep all my deposit. Not unexpected at all. I offer to find another tenant to replace me but she goes all silent. I just want to make sure I can bring the problem to police/small claims since there is no legal bonding between me and the room but in Singapore a verbal agreement is legal she can claim it, besides the laws favor owners I don't put too much hope lah. I guess I'll just let it be, considered a lesson learned.
If there is no 'legal bonding' [contract?], then what's the basis for her taking your money? Just because she thinks she can, and you won't do anything about it?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:34 pm

Why he gave her any money in the first place?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:36 pm

$400... Really? I thought we were talking thousands here. I can't believe you're wasting our time on such a small amount. You're going to drop more than that on a regrettable night of drinking once you're living here. Just move on.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:37 pm

JR8 wrote:
L-Ian wrote:400$. Now she is requiring to keep all my deposit. Not unexpected at all. I offer to find another tenant to replace me but she goes all silent. I just want to make sure I can bring the problem to police/small claims since there is no legal bonding between me and the room but in Singapore a verbal agreement is legal she can claim it, besides the laws favor owners I don't put too much hope lah. I guess I'll just let it be, considered a lesson learned.
If there is no 'legal bonding' [contract?], then what's the basis for her taking your money? Just because she thinks she can, and you won't do anything about it?
Good faith deposit, which is exactly that. She holds the unit for the OP all in 'good faith' because he really wanted it and had intended to come back and finalize the deal. IMO the bad faith was entirely the OP and not this lady.

L-Ian

Post by L-Ian » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:44 pm

She said can go to the police since I made her lost potential tenants. I'm not sure if I should go through all the hassle for 400$ or not. Besides I'm pretty new here I can't understand laws than her I'm not sure I'll win :( she declined my offer to find replacement tenants also w the reason that she doesn't trust me. I have prepared for this fate I'll just accept it then.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:01 pm

WTF??? Do as she says if she wants it. Go to police. It's 15 minutes. At least they can call her. Then you'll see her reaction.

If I were you, I'd report a robbery. Whether it is robbery or not, you'll be told in police station. Maybe, you have a chance. :)

I always wonder why people in Singapore are afraid to go visit a police station every so often. It's just there for you, you can say what you want - they must listen to you as per their job. If you're wrong, you'll get an explanation.

You pay (or will pay when you start working here) taxes. so its your right to go to police station. And its their duty to listen to you.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:43 pm

The police will do just nothing. They will tell her to go to the civil court and they will be perfectly within their rights.

And even in the civil court (i.e. SCT) I have doubts if she is going to win.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:03 am

Even though they can do nothing, they must create a report if he demands. With the copy of that report he can go meet the landlord and try to scare her (she does not necessarily know that this report is not good even for wiping your ass after toilet - too rough)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 7:35 am

I doubt they have to create any report for a random visit not concerning any criminal offense and if OP makes the story a bit more colorful than it was in reality she may be in trouble herself (is OP he or she?).

I am normally the one who advocates for going to the police station in many conflict situations but this one is so clear not for them that it just makes no sense at all.
Insisting on having some sort of confirmation (leaving alone the report) will rise the eyebrows. They are not idiots and what you actually suggested may be considered as criminal harassment or blackmailing.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:01 am

Well, in that case the police will politely explain everything to the OP. He loses nothing - 10-15 min and he is free to go.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:07 am

Sergei82 wrote:WTF??? Do as she says if she wants it. Go to police. It's 15 minutes. At least they can call her. Then you'll see her reaction.

If I were you, I'd report a robbery. Whether it is robbery or not, you'll be told in police station. Maybe, you have a chance. :)

I always wonder why people in Singapore are afraid to go visit a police station every so often. It's just there for you, you can say what you want - they must listen to you as per their job. If you're wrong, you'll get an explanation.

You pay (or will pay when you start working here) taxes. so its your right to go to police station. And its their duty to listen to you.
What robbery? He made a good faith deposit, and gave her S$400. She kept her end and held the unit for him. Now he's asking for it back. That defeats the entire purpose of the good faith deposit.

No one twisted his arm and forced him to give this money. He could have no given it and taken the risk that someone else would instead lease the unit. The only case this guy would have IMO is if he paid this deposit and then the landlord rented it to someone else anyway, and refused to return the money.

Definition of 'Good Faith Money'

The deposit of money into an account by a buyer to show that he or she has the intention of completing the deal. In most cases, the deposit amount will be a percent of the amount owed.

The money in an account can also be known as "margin" or a "performance bond", depending on the type of transaction.

An example would be a homebuyer depositing money into an escrow account. When this is done, the seller of the home knows that the buyer will fulfill the terms of the contract and make the purchase.

HA
Regular
Regular

Post by HA » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:11 am

I'm surprised there are arguments on this thread for someone making a small $400 good faith deposit and then changing their mind and now complaining.

Good faith deposit is called so for a reason.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:23 am

So good faith deposit need not be formalized?
I can take anything from anyone and then say it was a good faith deposit?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 8:08 am

Sergei82 wrote:So good faith deposit need not be formalized?
I can take anything from anyone and then say it was a good faith deposit?
I think this is exactly the problem - it is not formalized in this case so it can be likely assumed it was paid as a deposit to secure the place. Compare it to the situation where there is LOI involved and by nature of this document (normally not binding legally) the assumption would be very different. IMHO.