Singapore Expats

Should I choose another place and lose money or stay?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
L-Ian

Should I choose another place and lose money or stay?

Post by L-Ian » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 7:52 am

I've been searching for a room and 4 days ago found one at Rochor Centre. The place is really convenient so I placed an amount of money in cash and promised to move at the end of Feb (but I've not signed anything yet). The landlady issued me a receipt for the money I handed, stated that it's partially deposit. But later I discovered that Rochor will be taken down by 2016 for highway and the main construction will start at 2015 (mean can be very noisy and dirty). I want to stay for at least 2 years I don't want to settle down then run around again looking for new home!

I understand that I will lose the money if I decided to back out. I also know that I can sign the contract for 1 year only then move out. Should I look for another place and lose the money (I have no prob accept that fate) or stay for 1 year then move out again? If I find another tenant to replace me will the money be given back to me? I need to decide soon :(

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 9:57 am

Why you will lose money if you didn't sign anything and have the receipt?

And yes, the landlady has screwed you like a girl. :(

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should I choose another place and lose money or stay?

Post by JR8 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:27 am

Every contract I’ve seen here is for 12 months (and has a renewal option in it). I’m a little puzzled why you’ve rented a place for a year, and are concerned with what will happen commencing after that term. Of course I appreciate it’s nice to feel you’ll get settled in, and have open options one year hence, but an awful lot can change in a year. Perhaps in a year, knowing the place much better, you will have a screamingly good offer to take up a place in another neighbourhood?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:19 am

HDBs are now limited to 18month approvals for sublet from HDB, so she cannot reasonably give you more than a 1yr term with option to renew subject to HDB approval after.

L-Ian

Post by L-Ian » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 1:17 pm

I've just come here so I don't know much about Singapore laws. That room is recommended for me by a friend (the landlady is his neighbor). After I discovered that Rochor centre would be taken down I tried to require the money back but the landlady wouldn't give said that because I placed the deposit she declined other offers. That's why I think she won't give me back the money if I back out.
Last edited by L-Ian on Tue, 28 Jan 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 1:29 pm

L-Ian wrote:... because I placed the deposit she declined other offers...
So what? Why should it be your problem? You need your own money that she holds!

L-Ian

Post by L-Ian » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 1:45 pm

Since I read that good faith money will be forfeited if I break the deal but I have not signed anything yet so can I take the problem to Small Claims Court if she insists on not giving the money back?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 1:46 pm

Report to police.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 1:46 pm

I guess it is possible because you have the receipt issued by her for the money.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 2:06 pm

X-ref:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic99227.html

i.e. Tell her what you want,
By when.
Give her reasonable time
Spell out the precise consequences of not doing so (police/Small Claims etc).
If needed, do what you say you will.

It's all about providing an exit route out (that meets your needs), rather than immediately starting World War 3.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 5:54 pm

You can try what JR is saying, but IMO you're at fault. She isn't obliged to tell you the building is being torn down in 2016 (although it's rather well known common knowledge) especially since she couldn't legally lease it to you for that long anyway. You put down money for a unit you were happy with at the time, and there is nothing stopping you from occupying it for the legal amount of time you'd be allowed to. Consider it a tough lesson learned. Move in and stay for the year, and spend the time exploring Singapore and find a place you like more to move to.

L-Ian

Post by L-Ian » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 6:44 pm

I know. I have prepared to lose partial or all of the money anyway. But if still has any hope of get some back I'll try my best. Hope this can settle well. :(

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 6:50 pm

How much money did you give her?

L-Ian

Post by L-Ian » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 8:30 pm

Sorry for this cannot find the delete button
Last edited by L-Ian on Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L-Ian

Post by L-Ian » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:04 pm

400$. Now she is requiring to keep all my deposit. Not unexpected at all. I offer to find another tenant to replace me but she goes all silent. I just want to make sure I can bring the problem to police/small claims since there is no legal bonding between me and the room but in Singapore a verbal agreement is legal she can claim it, besides the laws favor owners I don't put too much hope lah. I guess I'll just let it be, considered a lesson learned.