Singapore Expats

Looking for a native german speaker to teach me the ropes!

Want to learn a new language? Find someone who can help here.
buuzzz

Looking for a native german speaker to teach me the ropes!

Post by buuzzz » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 8:10 am

I am interested in picking up German, but am finding it very hard to do so alone as of now. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to tutor me. I started out with the Rosetta Stone programme but it isn't helping me with grammar not does it give me an acute understanding of the language and how it works. The best way would be to be taught by someone privately, in my opinion, so I am looking for someone who'd be willing to! I am 19 and currently on internship but would love to have sessions perhaps twice a week for 1.5 to 2 hours each time. Anyone interested? :-S

Customary to this forum, I would of course offer English for your German too if you require help in it. But even if you know English already I'm hoping we can still work together.

Please and thanks!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 9:09 am

IMHO* you might struggle with this.

German is a relatively complex language, for Europe. Considerably more complex than say French, especially on the grammar side of things.

So I'd suggest you'd need either a native German, and probably a qualified German language teacher. I'd expect people qualified like that do it professionally won't be cheap.

What you could do is start out with a beginners interactive DVD, like http://eurotalk.com/en/store/learn/german . This is what I did to pick up basic Malay, and it was engaging, fun, and worked. Then if you decide you want to pursue it further, you buy further levels, or:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/sg/sin/lrn/enindex.htm
The Goethe Institute, is like a German cultural outreach programme. They offer language courses, and I know some people who did quite an intense full-time two month course with them.

They have lots of offerings, and even appear to have one online that's worth checking out. As they're 'government linked' they're not doing this to make a profit, so any costs should be reasonable. Plus any teachers will be fully qualified. Plus (finally), learning in a group is usually more fun than learning alone.

Good luck!

(*IMHO. But that said, my opinion is informed by having learned German at school for 3 years (alongside French for 5(?)), and later living in Germany for 3 years :))

Sandra_83

Hey

Post by Sandra_83 » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 12:18 am

Hey,

I am from Austria and just moved to Singapore.

I could teach you some!

Drop me a line.

[email protected]

Kind regards Sandra (30/f)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 12:25 am

Das ist ja sehr schön für jeden etwas dabei. Aber was kann man lehren?