Singapore Expats

Park Connector Network

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Park Connector Network

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 11:14 pm

This park connector network is amazing. I and my wife got bicycles for ourselves, as a new hobby and today we went to Pasir Ris mall and Fishing pond from our place in Tampines.

Its so astonishingly close. It took us like just 10 mins to get there and by bus it would take atleast 30 mins.

Looking forward to doing more of such rides, especially towards Pasir Ris beach, Changi beach and the ECP.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:18 am

I go from Bayswayer (London) to friends in South Ken, takes an hour, and costs maybe £3 on the tube.

I walk, takes 45 minutes, costs nothing. +Lovely evening walk across Hyde Park....

It was something of a revelation when I first figured this out :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Park Connector Network

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 4:15 pm

Wd40 wrote:This park connector network is amazing. I and my wife got bicycles for ourselves, as a new hobby and today we went to Pasir Ris mall and Fishing pond from our place in Tampines.

Its so astonishingly close. It took us like just 10 mins to get there and by bus it would take atleast 30 mins.

Looking forward to doing more of such rides, especially towards Pasir Ris beach, Changi beach and the ECP.
It's actually quite terrible if you go any distance farther than that. Almost all of the overpasses over roads are stairs only. Sucks quite a bit to have to carry your bike up and over them over and over.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 4:23 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:This park connector network is amazing. I and my wife got bicycles for ourselves, as a new hobby and today we went to Pasir Ris mall and Fishing pond from our place in Tampines.

It's actually quite terrible if you go any distance farther than that. Almost all of the overpasses over roads are stairs only. Sucks quite a bit to have to carry your bike up and over them over and over.
And some have poor signage and will leave you wondering where the next segment actually is.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 6:02 pm

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

And some have poor signage and will leave you wondering where the next segment actually is.
Yeah, that too. I got lost for a good 20 minutes one time where Kallang River PC crosses Serangoon road. I still don't know the 'proper' way through, as I cut through some condo.

One of the iPhone map apps of Singapore (City Guide? Or something...) actually labels the PCN though. That helps. (It's the same map that individually labels the name on every condo and commercial building)

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 6:03 pm

JR8 wrote:I go from Bayswayer (London) to friends in South Ken, takes an hour, and costs maybe £3 on the tube.

I walk, takes 45 minutes, costs nothing. +Lovely evening walk across Hyde Park....

It was something of a revelation when I first figured this out :)
Great place to live in London, especially if one travels a lot and wants the best possible connection from the city to LHR.

As for connecting parks and walkways in Singapore, I read an article that the plan is to create a network that goes full-circle around the island.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 6:08 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: It's actually quite terrible if you go any distance farther than that. Almost all of the overpasses over roads are stairs only. Sucks quite a bit to have to carry your bike up and over them over and over.
Yeah, that too. I got lost for a good 20 minutes one time where Kallang River PC crosses Serangoon road. I still don't know the 'proper' way through, as I cut through some condo.

One of the iPhone map apps of Singapore (City Guide? Or something...) actually labels the PCN though. That helps. (It's the same map that individually labels the name on every condo and commercial building)
Streetdirectory too marks PCN and thats what I used. Luckily the route we took was completely besides a canal ending into the beach, so that helped.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 6:26 pm

Bayswater:
aster wrote: Great place to live in London, especially if one travels a lot and wants the best possible connection from the city to LHR.

Yes it is. A lovely 'village within a city'. I used to do the weekly commute up and down to HRW (to Geneva/Vienna/Milan/Frankfurt), the advantage is the highway (M40?) that goes directly there is just 400M away, then 30mins in a cab, and you're at check-in.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 2:28 am

JR8 wrote:Bayswater:
aster wrote: Great place to live in London, especially if one travels a lot and wants the best possible connection from the city to LHR.

Yes it is. A lovely 'village within a city'. I used to do the weekly commute up and down to HRW (to Geneva/Vienna/Milan/Frankfurt), the advantage is the highway (M40?) that goes directly there is just 400M away, then 30mins in a cab, and you're at check-in.
To be honest I was thinking more along the lines of Heathrow Express from Paddington. Just a 15 minute ride, and trains leave every 15 mins. Great by car too so it's all good either way! :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 8:40 am

Yes, that's a more recent thing. What I like about 'the HEX' is it's reliability. It's bloody expensive (most $ per mile than any other train journey in the world), but it runs every 15 mins, and takes 15 mins. Simple. [It's funny how one can almost forget the facilities upon your own doorstep].

Here's another, and I've no idea if it still exists, flying Virgin Business Class, and getting drive-through check-in and being chauffeured right to the Upper Class lounge (air-side)...

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Sun, 22 Dec 2013 4:58 pm

Hi

We live at Pasir Ris (Flora Drive) and use the park connector from the shell garage down to Changi Point Ferry Terminal, go over the small bridge then you are onto Changi Point Beach.

We then take the path all the way to McDonalds at the East Coast Park Seafood Centre (big long run adjacent to the runway), past SAFRA golf course) there and back is 47km for us (30 miles). Get some good cycling shorts as the journeys rips your rear end to bits.

Happy Cycling!

Edroche
Regular
Regular

Post by Edroche » Sat, 25 Jan 2014 2:07 pm

You can cycle on continuous bike tracks from Pasir ris park to fort road. Below is early morning before 8:30. The pasir ris to tampines is quiet until you get to tampines where it is a zombiefest. Tampines to the far side of semei mrt, you are dodging people walking on the bike path or connector looking down at ther phone and not watching where they are going. They also have head phones so they can't hear your bell as you slow down and approach. Then there are the people who do exactly the same thing but are looking at you and don't have a phone or headphones... From semei to ITE technical college is fine. From ITE you use the path until the canal PCN parallel to Bedok Rd. This is where the multiple dog walkers are and some zombies. From here to the ECP underpass near the army barracks is fine as is the rest of the east coast track to town around 8am. They have added around 15 new humps. The connection from fort road to gardens by the bay will be opened by end of 2014 which means the only road you hit from pasir ris to cbd will be shenton beside the ascot hotel.

Return journey during the evenings, same but use the service road along east coast. The park is too busy and lanes are useless in places.