Singapore Expats

Moving to USA from SG - moving a small amount of stuff

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
estafette72

Moving to USA from SG - moving a small amount of stuff

Post by estafette72 » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 8:07 pm

Hello all,

I'm repatriating to the USA in June and have begun to look for shipping options. I've looked into full-blown international movers, and the quote(s) for shipping our stuff (mostly Ikea) was pushing US$4,000 before taxes and insurance. All the furniture in our flat isn't even worth that much. So, we've decided to sell as much as we can.

But, there are things that we don't want to sell, such as books, household items, dishware/glassware, etc. I reckon 6-10 boxes worth of stuff. What do you recommend we use to ship it to the US? I'm sure Fedex/UPS/DHL prices would be astronomical. Are there smaller moving options? Anybody have experience with air freight?

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

nakatago

Re: Moving to USA from SG - moving a small amount of stuff

Post by nakatago » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 8:17 pm

estafette72 wrote:Hello all,

I'm repatriating to the USA in June and have begun to look for shipping options. I've looked into full-blown international movers, and the quote(s) for shipping our stuff (mostly Ikea) was pushing US$4,000 before taxes and insurance. All the furniture in our flat isn't even worth that much. So, we've decided to sell as much as we can.

But, there are things that we don't want to sell, such as books, household items, dishware/glassware, etc. I reckon 6-10 boxes worth of stuff. What do you recommend we use to ship it to the US? I'm sure Fedex/UPS/DHL prices would be astronomical. Are there smaller moving options? Anybody have experience with air freight?

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)
Related thread: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic88935.html

Contains still-relevant info.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 8:46 pm

I've evaluated this recently and while Seven Seas seems cheaper possibly, for me it wasn't that much cheaper and Singpost was a hell of a lot faster. I'm only sending two-three "Size 5" boxes purchased direct from Singpost, about 10kg each. It's 7-10 days.

I think Seven Seas might get cheaper in bulk.