Singapore Expats

Negotiating furnishing of condo

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 1:30 pm

I've e-mailed the manufacturer of our air-con, asking whether it needs periodic servicing, used or unused.

Let's see if they reply.

Search By

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 2:47 pm

SINexpat wrote:
Oh really?
Really.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 3:25 pm

JR8 wrote:I've e-mailed the manufacturer of our air-con, asking whether it needs periodic servicing, used or unused.

Let's see if they reply.
What will this prove? Nobody said it needs it frequently if not in use but surely you need some periodic check even in such a case. My guess would be once a year.

You purposely ignore all the explanations and just ask again and again the same questions without even trying to address the raised points.
Not nice.

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 8:18 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:I've e-mailed the manufacturer of our air-con, asking whether it needs periodic servicing, used or unused.

Let's see if they reply.
What will this prove? Nobody said it needs it frequently if not in use but surely you need some periodic check even in such a case. My guess would be once a year.

You purposely ignore all the explanations and just ask again and again the same questions without even trying to address the raised points.
Not nice.
Consider how many in the US have cental A/C units and NEVER get them "serviced" for BS cleanings. Compare that to SG population.

I think that's a pretty good sample size to show how stupid this A/C quarterly service is a waste of time and money.

In the US if people had to start getting units serviced quarterly there would be a revolt and people would look for alternative. No idea who and how someone started this in SG but it's a complete rip-off.

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 8:19 pm

kookaburrah wrote:
SINexpat wrote:
Oh really?
Really.
As they say, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 8:47 pm

SINexpat wrote:
x9200 wrote:

Let's see if they reply.

Not nice.
Consider how many in the US have cental A/C units and NEVER get them "serviced" for BS cleanings. Compare that to SG population.

I think that's a pretty good sample size to show how stupid this A/C quarterly service is a waste of time and money.

In the US if people had to start getting units serviced quarterly there would be a revolt and people would look for alternative. No idea who and how someone started this in SG but it's a complete rip-off.
Again, it's not only about the REAL need of servicing but the risk management from the LL's side. I already asked this question at least twice: how the LL could be assured that this rather expensive piece of equipment is properly maintained? A professional assessment will also cost money.

Also, as already pointed out, it is not the same climate here and in the US. High humidity takes its toll also on the A/C. If you use some ordinary fans in your flat and you clean them by yourself you could see what gets deposited on the grill. It's like a sticky mass of fine dirt and fibers. All the metal grill fans we had sooner or later corroded just because of it.

All this provides some justification to such clauses. I am not saying this is fair, it is definitely a collective responsibility for some irresponsible individuals but so is the obligatory 3rd party car insurance and hundreds of other legal/social constructs.

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:23 pm

x9200 wrote: I already asked this question at least twice: how the LL could be assured that this rather expensive piece of equipment is properly maintained? A professional assessment will also cost money.

Also, as already pointed out, it is not the same climate here and in the US. High humidity takes its toll also on the A/C.
1. Your question assumes the cleaning is needed. There is nothing to assure either the unit cools or does not. Your question is rhetorical and makes the assumption the service was needed to begin with.

2. Singapore is not the only country with humidity. The claim that SG has different climate than in US is bogus to justify "servicing" of A/Cs. Also, you don't see massive pine and tree pollen during spring like in the US and yet NOBODY gets there units "serviced". But yet the A/Cs all work fine year after year.

Get past your paradigm. The quarterly service is not necessary.