Singapore Expats

help needed for relocating with older children

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 8:49 pm

movingtospore wrote:There is a down syndrome association in Singapore - you might want to contact them about support programs through local community associations etc. I've not heard of any International Schools with support but there may be some and I just don't know. My guess is that the local system would actually be better for this - your child probably wouldn't be part of the regular stream but there should be some options. Check out minds.org.sg - they could put you in touch with others.
Local schools will not be better including MINDS. Check Dover Court Preparatory School. There are also some other that could be googled out.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 9:01 pm

The problem with local schooling is that as foreigners you get put where they can fit you in. Add to that additional needs and you could end up trekking across the island every day.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 9:09 pm

It is very hard to get any sort of special needs assistance in Local schools unless you really really push. And if you are trying to get your child into a local school I fear they just may flatly refuse you. They will refer you to the special school. I believe your child is 12, so they would not admit him into P6 (which is his age appropriate year) as there are no admissions in p6 allowed. So he could go down a few years. But I suspect it will be a flat 'no' and that you will be redistricted to special schools or to International Schools. I know that if you have an assistant with your child (this is not an expensive undertaking in Singapore) in school, they can usually attend International School.
But I suspect, it would be better to have your child's special needs specifically catered to by a what they call here a 'special school'.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 1:17 pm

I looked at Dover Court but the classes got considerably smaller as you go up in age. It's a great little school for younger ones. It reminded me a lot of UK school.
You have to decide if you want to stay in the A Levels or go IB. My daughter decided that IB is better suited for her. Look into a Tanglin for your oldet one but that may have a 2-3years wait list or UWC /OFS.
What about the littles in SAIS? That's essentially a UK school, it's COGNITA owned. My daughter used to go to one of their independent school in North London.
My daughter does a lot of sports here, like you said, unlike theUK when the weather gets in the way. She has started doing charity runs. She do some volunteer work as well, sort of meals on wheels. She does netball at Kallang. She does swimming for her school and she is thinking about picking up tennis again
It's cheaper & it's easier to get around here,and I do not go into my protective mother mode when goes out here unlike London.
And she goes to gigs here too.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 9:05 am

Hi fivegomad,

Regarding your DS child, I have replied you on the other thread. I will stick the topic of DS education in that thread to avoid splitting the topic.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra6 ... tml#674574

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 9:42 am

@5gomad

If you don't already have one, you should find a relo checklist. Try Googling on 'international relocation checklist'. In my experience when you instruct an international relo company, they'll usually give you a copy of such a thing, but you might not have reached that stage yet.

Examples:
http://www.interdean.com/moving-home/yo ... heck-list/

http://moving.about.com/od/movingcheckl ... cklist.htm

www.crownrelo.co.nz/Advice/Moving-Checklist.aspx?

There are *many* other examples from the Google search. I'd usually read several and make a hybrid for my own precise circumstances.

This gives you some basic framework, to add to, on which to plan your schedule. So much easier than facing a random-blur!
-----------------------------------------------------------

-- I do something similar with packing for a holiday. I have my own customised 'Packing list' in an Excel spreadsheet. - But wait - , it gets more nerdy :) I have versions for SCUBA trip, beach holiday, and long weekend. It started from the SCUBA one, where the packing was maybe 100+ items, almost all vital, and the overall luggage was subject to strict/$ weight restrictions. The other hybrids followed.

It really makes packing for a trip SO much easier, as you just tick, tick tick through the entire list.

From underwear, to your (re-inspected) dive-mask etc, to checking/noting local FX exchange rates, to a final check on boiler/hw, windows and doors secured etc*100. It's funny, as once you have done it, it's hard to imagine being without it...

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 8:28 pm

katbh wrote:It is very hard to get any sort of special needs assistance in Local schools unless you really really push. And if you are trying to get your child into a local school I fear they just may flatly refuse you. They will refer you to the special school. I believe your child is 12, so they would not admit him into P6 (which is his age appropriate year) as there are no admissions in p6 allowed. So he could go down a few years. But I suspect it will be a flat 'no' and that you will be redistricted to special schools or to International Schools. I know that if you have an assistant with your child (this is not an expensive undertaking in Singapore) in school, they can usually attend International School.
But I suspect, it would be better to have your child's special needs specifically catered to by a what they call here a 'special school'.
That's kind of what I meant, a specialized school. Many of the international schools also will not take a special needs child. It's quite rubbish...