Singapore Expats

Dishwasher and washing machine at the same time

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
telynola

Dishwasher and washing machine at the same time

Post by telynola » Sat, 11 Jan 2014 1:40 pm

Hi there,

I just have one cold water pipe in my kithen where the washing machine is plugged. And I would like to buy a dishwadher. Do you know a good DIY store where I could find what I need for that ? Or at least any advice on a good plumber who could fix that for me ? For what range of price ?

Thanks all.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 11 Jan 2014 2:18 pm

You need something like this:

I believe the DIY store in Guthrie House should have and the one in Jurong Point should have it too.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 11 Jan 2014 3:46 pm

I bought one of these from a neighbourhood store that sells mops and buckets and everything else! It cost me about $10 and it screwed on very easily, I actually bought two and to feed 3 devices (fridge freezer, dishwasher and washing machine) from the same tap :)

Also, you may need to get a 'y' pipe for your waste, I got a 't' pipe and a 90 degree bend stuck together to create two vertical inputs, I bought it in a plumbing supplies shop on Joo Chiat road - Dishwasher and washing machine both need a waste - it only cost me $2-$3 in total, the guy there even gave me a hug included! I think he wanted to see if his arms would go around me.

so $15 willl see you right and save you an expensive plumber visit. (and maybe get a cuddle from a big Malay chap if you are lucky)

nut2
nutnut

telynola

Post by telynola » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 2:34 pm

x9200 wrote:You need something like this:

I believe the DIY store in Guthrie House should have and the one in Jurong Point should have it too.
What's the name of the hardware store in Guthrie house and Jurong point ? I have been looking for this "splitter" in various Homefix or Selfix but having hard time to find it. Same for the Y pipe for the waste...

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 8:00 pm

homefix and selfix won't have these kinds of things, you need neighbourhood shops! best around Joo chiat if anything.

Hardware stores seem to work differently here than back in the UK. You can buy stick on hooks and screw drivers, but, no useful parts.
nutnut

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 12:54 am

There is a pretty decent plumbing supply house at 30 Kelantan Road near Jalan Besar. It's on the first floor of the HDB estate near the road. I've bought all sorts of stuff there for plumbing projects.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1.305836 ... GYMAFR32hA

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:23 am

telynola wrote:
x9200 wrote:You need something like this:

What's the name of the hardware store in Guthrie house and Jurong point ? I have been looking for this "splitter" in various Homefix or Selfix but having hard time to find it. Same for the Y pipe for the waste...
Thank you for asking. Try this:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22guthrie+house%22+D.I.Y.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22jurong+poin%22+D.I.Y.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 7:23 pm

I saw the tap splitter today in a DIY store in Jem.