Singapore Expats

MOM hires firm in India to verify education certs

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

MOM hires firm in India to verify education certs

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 9:23 am

What is your opinion about it, therat?

From our favourite local forum, they are not happy, and I wonder why... :lol:

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:38 am

I don't know how other think but I do support this act.

Provided the company itself is "clean"

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:57 am

Question: Who will watch the watch dog?

But then again this is a better solution than not having any vetting done at all, or having to hire one or two Indian vetting agents under MOM direct payroll, for such volume.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:19 pm

I don't understand why MoM has to do the vetting. Its the employers that are taking the risk by hiring foreigners and if someone with fake certificates comes in and screws something up, its the employers that will suffer. Why do Singaporean locals have a problem with this?

In India most big employers have background check mechanisms in place. Even most banks here have their own background check mechanisms in place.

I read TREmeritus and there locals seems to have a problem with the presence of foreigners, itself and asking for just sending back all of them.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 1:02 pm

Wd40 wrote: I read TREmeritus and there locals seems to have a problem with the presence of foreigners, itself and asking for just sending back all of them.
An entirely reasonable position, surely :D

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 1:24 pm

Agree with Wd40. Those crocodiles from First Advantage are already doing their job. Why MOM wants to spend money on something else?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 1:45 pm

MOM has been hiring firms to do document and background checking for at least the last 7 years that I'm aware of. I've been directly told by one of the Director's of MOM that I had an interview with (via invitation through this board) that they have their own teams in some countries and they have hired teams (agents/agencies) to do the vetting for them. And they are not just vetting before giving a pass. They also are doing backlogged already issued passes as well. I just lost one on renewal (Burmese) as they found out his degree was fraudulent and he'd already been here 2 years. This is nothing new and in fact, I'm made this comment on this forum in the past as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 2:08 pm

Maybe, its good - simplifies and speeds up issuing consequent employment passes?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 2:52 pm

Noticed something weird. This thread is started by Lynx, but when you go to the latest news section or the "view posts since last visit" link and look at this thread it says the author is Therat :???:

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 3:25 pm

Eh? therat started this thread by posting the link to the news article on Indian vetting agency. I was the first to reply to it.

What happened? Bug?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 3:31 pm

Haha, I was wondering how come you all of a sudden calling Therat in the thread and Therat promptly responding :) Now I get it.

The forum doesn't allow anyone to delete a post if another post has been made. I guess, the timing of his deleting the post and you posting was like milliseconds apart and his post was allowed to get deleted.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 4:18 pm

the lynx wrote:Eh? therat started this thread by posting the link to the news article on Indian vetting agency. I was the first to reply to it.

What happened? Bug?
I had no idea.
By the way, I didn't post the link as I know it is not allow.

I only quote some statement from Strait Time

edit to add on

Wd40, I didn't delete or edit the first post and I had no idea how come it turn out this way.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 4:38 pm

Anyway, here is a link to a much earlier post re: vetting teams (this dates from 2009)

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic57825.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers