Singapore Expats

Seaview Condo

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Helbel

Seaview Condo

Post by Helbel » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 12:04 pm

Hi Everyone
We are seriously considering an apartment at the Seaview in Amber Road. I have read on the internet that the developers were sued for defects when the condo first opened. Just wondering if any of you have lived/currently live at the Seaview and if you would recommend the place or not?

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Seaview Condo

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 12:54 pm

Helbel wrote:Hi Everyone
We are seriously considering an apartment at the Seaview in Amber Road. I have read on the internet that the developers were sued for defects when the condo first opened. Just wondering if any of you have lived/currently live at the Seaview and if you would recommend the place or not?
No, not personally. But it seems lots of newer condos have the same problem. The "sweet spot" for condos seems to be those build between the mid-late 90s and early 00s. Also be aware Seaview doesn't have a sea view anymore. New condo Silversea is coming up fast and has mostly obstructed it. You'll know that though if you've visited Seaview recently (in the past three months).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 1:01 pm

Thisismyvoice's general point, of December 2011, here...
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra558018.html

is IMO good advice.

It sounds rather like what Americans call a lemon, i.e. serially blighted. (But at least they have a 'Lemon law' to allow rectification.)

I wouldn't buy into something that's blighted, unless I was getting it at a very good discount.

Helbel

Post by Helbel » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 1:14 pm

Thank you so much for your replies zzm9980 and JR8. We will be renting so no financial loss there (husband's employer paying the rent) but just wondering if it is a comfortable/enjoyable place to live. We have visited twice and the facilities look lovely. It's just the comments about the defects that are making us hesitate to go for it.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 1:24 pm

Helbel wrote:Thank you so much for your replies zzm9980 and JR8. We will be renting so no financial loss there (husband's employer paying the rent) but just wondering if it is a comfortable/enjoyable place to live. We have visited twice and the facilities look lovely. It's just the comments about the defects that are making us hesitate to go for it.
If you're renting, get something in the tenancy agreement then that calls for the landlord to be responsible for repairs, etc. and guarantee you the right to peace of mind, etc while there. Make sure it's worded in a way that if the defects do adversely affect you, you can break the TA.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 1:34 pm

OIC.

Might be worth getting access to the estate and trying to discuss the matter with a couple of likely looking residents. IME pensioners often have more time for such matters, and tend to be more involved.

[Many years ago I was considering a property in a London block that had structural issues (subsidence), I used the above approach of trying to button-hole a resident, and on my 3rd or 4th attempt by chance happened upon the secretary of the residents association, who gave me A-Z on the entire issue!].

This is obviously of more value if considering a purchase. But it could also give you a heads-up on the type and scale of any issues that are ongoing.

An alternative is to ask a potential landlord, in light of the published stories of construction issues at the condo, to disclose any matters that might prejudice a tenant's Quiet Enjoyment of his property. You don't need to phrase it like that... just maybe something like are there any outstanding matters re: the building and it's previously reported construction, that might prejudice a tenants peaceful occupation today.

Helbel

Post by Helbel » Sun, 19 Jan 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks again zzm9980 and JR8. Good advice from both of you :)