Singapore Expats

Racial zoning

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:24 pm

Blocks in my area are also ok :)
I also tried the area around simei mrt and that also looks good. So I guess, Indians wont be affected so much afterall
Last edited by Wd40 on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:30 pm

Sergei82 wrote:F###C#K... my block still can! Phew... I hope, this remains the case in February 2015.
Yes, but if your landlord gets approval expect them to raise rent since supply is being cut.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:39 pm

Wd40 wrote:Blocks in my area are also ok :)
I also tried the area around simei mrt and that also looks good. So I guess, Indians wont be affected so much afterall
well, I am sure HDB will be sending notes reminding all tenants to be registered .. see what happens after that ..

Thought you are buying a condo ?? LOL

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:44 pm

I thought, legally all owners need to seek approval for renting out their flat and they need to provide details of the tenants. Its on the basis of this that the tool is currently working. I dont expect HDB sending out any notices. If they need to send out, that means they should also fine those owners.

Me buying condo here? Lol, no way. My one leg is already in India, I have remitted all the SGD that I had accumulated, to Indian NRE account last month. I am already planning which car to buy once I get to india. I have to say, my job situation is mainly responsible for this. My current job is good only until Mar this year. The possibility of getting a similar paid job, looks tough.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 7:27 pm

Sergei82 wrote:F###C#K... my block still can! Phew... I hope, this remains the case in February 2015.
It's all a bit odd. Like having Goebbels goose-stepping about demanding who can live where, whilst demanding it's all free and fair, and in fact all quite like Switzerland (ooh la la!). Is this the tyranny one has to endure for getting 10 cents off a $1m concrete box?

If you had the possibility of living in say:
-Europe (perhaps England, Germany, Spain?)
-America (USA, Canada?)
-Asia (Korea, Japan, Vietnam?)
-South America (Argentina, Brazil?)

.... why would you choose to live in a place like Singapore?

p.s. Afterthought. Maybe that's it. Choose. No one chooses to come here, it's the hand they're dealt.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 7:56 pm

JR8 wrote:
p.s. Afterthought. Maybe that's it. Choose. No one chooses to come here, it's the hand they're dealt.
I chose to come here. Now I choose to leave :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 8:10 pm

AngMoG wrote:
JR8 wrote:
I chose to come here. Now I choose to leave :P
I agree. I'm out of here soon too. There s nothing I'll net-net take from here, barring a wife who is only too happy to leave.

I won't shed a tear. This is a bastard of a country. It engenders absolutely no fondness at all. Everything is monetary and merciless. A spurned bitch of a partner. I don't think I expected to see life boiled down to such immediate, and self-interested actions.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 8:22 pm

JR8, don't be shy, go ahead, speak your mind.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 8:33 pm

And now let's hear you speak yours.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 9:57 pm

Well, I too, chose to come here. And while Singers may not be perfect, it's still stacks better than the devolving crap-hole in Western Europe I used to live before coming here.

I guess I don't sweat the small stuff so much eh.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:12 pm

Max Headroom wrote:Well, I too, chose to come here. And while Singers may not be perfect, it's still stacks better than the devolving crap-hole in Western Europe I used to live before coming here.

I guess I don't sweat the small stuff so much eh.
I (we) don't derive our income here. In a way our being here is discretionary.

Perhaps you can see how the table turns in such a situation. We're not privileged to get 'the package' to move here, rather, we're burdened to exist here without one.

Don't get me wrong, there have been and are fun times. Just, as they say, 'the time to go has come'...

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:32 am

I did not expect JR8 could ever say something like that, considering how long he is on this forum and how active he is here...

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:00 am

It still boggles my mind that the powers that be have conned the rest of the world into believing it's a "free market" here. Nuh-uh as my daughter would say. But it astounds me more that people put up with being told who they can and can't rent to by their government to this degree. I can see rules around not renting to illegal immigrants etc but really!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:02 am

Its diminishing for all of us, no question in that.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:14 am

Sergei82 wrote:I did not expect JR8 could ever say something like that, considering how long he is on this forum and how active he is here...
Hehehe... when you're self-employed/work-from-home, it's nice to have a virtual office water-cooler :)

My local wife has nil desire to retire here (quite the opposite). I think this is a great place to spend some time, but like many people find it a place to come, work hard, progress your career, make some $, travel, and then leave.

I suppose for us the scales have quite recently tipped. When considering:
- reasons for being here
- prospects/opportunities here in the future
- quality of life
- cost of living here versus elsewhere
- two deaths and two major healthscares in the family this past year or so.

It's very easy to just coast along in life. No real plan, or goals, just work work work. How do you gauge when you've arrived, if you don't know where you're headed for? I suppose this past year I've been rather forced into making some kind of assessment as to where we want to be headed next, and that covers everything else, as well as the geography of it.

p.s. When I worked on Wall St, the industry had a major shake-out in 2001. My employer shed thousands, including me. We had that awful period of terror, maybe two weeks but it felt longer, as they started axing people from the very top, and then progressively downwards.
I remember one man, his grand-father was one of the core few who founded the bank back in the 1920s. His name might have been on the door, but he took a bullet. I recall his having a conference call to announce it to his global division, and him starting with the poignant line - 'There is a time to come, and a time to go, and my time to go has come'.
Last edited by JR8 on Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussions”