Singapore Expats

SG/ID Infants Travelling with 2 Dual Passports & Citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
xentra

SG/ID Infants Travelling with 2 Dual Passports & Citizen

Post by xentra » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:37 am

Dear All,

I am an Indonesian with SPR and married to a Singaporean. I am blessed with a pair fraternal twins (1 boy & 1 girl) and they are 9 months old.

After I gave birth to them, I thought of applying only Indonesia passports for both of them, but I didn't realized I need to do the application within 30 days after birth. as . I was told to apply Singapore passports first before I can apply for Indonesia passports at the Indonesia Embassy.

Eventually, I got both countries passports for my children. Indonesia passports were given after the Singapore passports. ID government is aware of dual citizenship for my children and I assume the SG government is not aware and should not be informed by ID embassy.

I will travel to Indonesia end of the month without my Singaporean husband and I am concerned which passport should be used for exiting SG/entering ID & vice verse.

Please take note both passports are new and without any entry stamp on it. I am concerned, for example, if ID passports are used during exiting SG, will the custom officer question why no there is no entry stamps? Should use SG PP to exit SG and enter ID? In this case, ID mother traveling with twins SG PP. What kind of implications can it be at both customs?

Next concern:

My children are allowed have dual citizenship till the age of 18 years old. After reaching 18 years of age individuals are forced to choose one citizenship by Indonesia laws.

On the other hand, the registration of NS for male is at the age of 13(or 10?). My husband has not decided whether my boy should serve NS. He is keeping the option open till the 10 years is up. He hopes that Indonesia Government will allow permanent dual citizenship before time is up.

I will really want my children to have Indonesia citizenship for lifetime but also keeping SG citizenship without being caught after they turned 21. If my boy served 2 years NS and (unlucky enough) to have his SG citizenship revoked later, then it is absolute waste of time and opportunities.

Please let me have your views and accounts if you have the situation like me.

Best Regards
:???:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:42 am

Use SG passport to exit SG, ID passport to enter Indonesia. This is quite normal and not a problem. Many countries don't stamp anymore (SG won't stamp your daughter's passport once you show an I/C) so ID shouldn't always expect it. If they ask, just tell them. As long as ID doesn't specifically prohibit dual citizenship for children, the entry officer won't care. Or, just enter on SG passport if you don't care about the longer line. Your kid's Indonesian passport likely says it was issued in Singapore, so the entry office will probably put 2 and 2 together anyway.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:12 pm

Start with the following link to older threads and the linked thread itself. There's a lot of info there:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra4 ... rse#481718

Pay particular attention to posts by "Mad Scientist" as he is VERY well versed in the difficulties between Indonesia and dual citizenship for male children.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers