Singapore Expats

My job is going to Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 2:54 pm

on the topic of "MY JOB IS GOING TO SINGAPORE .. "

how about this ??

http://www.tempo.com.ph/2014/01/rp-may- ... tTRL_u9T90

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 3:16 pm

You guys are hilarious.
What happens when the guy comes back to check on his thread and its all filled with USSR, Lao, VN & Cubans? :roll: :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 3:54 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:You guys are hilarious.
What happens when the guy comes back to check on his thread and its all filled with USSR, Lao, VN & Cubans? :roll: :P
he will
a) be more enlightened and agree to the offer
b) amazed at the kind of things the people on this forum know
c) very much kick himself in the butt for not moving to SG earlier

or

d) wonder what the heck happened here .. as always .. :)

PS: since his first and only post, he has been silent .. so .. it's not a wasted opportunity to share 'knowledge' ...

in the same vein, has anybody flown on an IL 18 ? Care to describe how the Landing gear retracts ?? :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 5:46 pm

He'll think he just landed in Miami. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 9:13 pm

If he's a single guy, I'm rather sure he'll come across a few places in SG also filled with Lao and Vietnamese. Probably not any Cubans, but a few Venezuelans for sure. :cool:

JR8, I've flown a lot internally in VN in the past 5 years. Vietnam Airlines is at least better than any US Domestic Airline, except maybe Virgin. Oh, and the Flight Attendants on it are also *hot*.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 9:25 pm

JR8 wrote:Internal flights in VN just filled me with terror. The screaming people, the ballgowns and tuxedos.

Maybe it's changed.

But I have no compelling need to go back to VN for maybe 20 years?...

89 - 95 - 08 ? > '30
Eh? I've flown Vietnam and Lao airlines including the Lao turboprops. Service was better than any US airline and better than Tiger.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 9:38 pm

Maybe it's changed, that wouldn't surprise me. I was just recounting my experience.

My mother used to be an air hostess in the 50/60s. Apart from the Catholic loonies going to Lourdes, the American officials (spooks) going to Berlin, she also recounts the robed Bedouin, on the way to Damascus, kneeling in the aisles pumping up little kerosene burners on which to brew tea.

Haha... would be fun to get a kerosene camping stove out on a US airline flight ... I'd give you 5 seconds.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 9:17 am

zzm9980 wrote:JR8, I've flown a lot internally in VN in the past 5 years. Vietnam Airlines is at least better than any US Domestic Airline, except maybe Virgin. Oh, and the Flight Attendants on it are also *hot*.
Hehehe. I expect it might have improved. I've not really flown any truly cronky airlines in recent years. Berjaya comes close, but at least most of their flights are under one hour.
If VN-air have moved away from Russian jets to Boeing/Airbus that would help too. Agreed... a dolled up VNese bird in an ao dai is something too hot to behold (!?) :)

Eagle:
Eh? I've flown Vietnam and Lao airlines including the Lao turboprops. Service was better than any US airline and better than Tiger.

Well, as per my comments above. Also my last internal flights in Indochina were in 1995... it will have changed.

Your comparison with US domestic is striking, and I agree. Most of my experience is routes like NYC-Cleveland/Chicago, or Miami/Jax-NYC, on Continental and latterly United. The service is terrible. The 'hostesses' are belligerent to the point of being officious and rude ('WHAT, you want a second US$10 can of Budweiser, on this five hour flight!!?'). Ironic, as visiting the US from Europe one revels in the amazing service, and the 'customer is king' philosophy.... but then you take an internal flight, and it's like WTF is their problem!!!?

I suspect like Australia, most US airspace is not open to non-US competition. Hence what you get ...

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 9:28 am

JR8 wrote: I've not really flown any truly cronky airlines in recent years. Berjaya comes close, but at least most of their flights are under one hour.
Yes agree, a few panicky moments and some quite difficult airport approaches they fly such as Tioman. Just the sight of a prop plane makes me queasy.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 9:42 am

Beeroclock wrote:
JR8 wrote: I've not really flown any truly cronky airlines in recent years. Berjaya comes close, but at least most of their flights are under one hour.
Yes agree, a few panicky moments and some quite difficult airport approaches they fly such as Tioman. Just the sight of a prop plane makes me queasy.
or Pangkor :shock:
My husband would say Luckla in Nepal.
Or those Jazz - Air Canada to Vancouver Island
Or husband's favourite airline - Bahamascare

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 9:55 am

Beeroclock wrote:
I'm ok on that Tioman flight. Many of the pilots seem to be Brit/ex-RAF. MAF/SAF too I'm sure.

Here's a small private plane going in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuSV023DIFY

Here the Berjaya flight...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i6OYUzqhRo

Agreed though, that landing is a bit of a 'grin and bear it' moment. Especially when you're arrived, and on later days, from the beach/shore, see what the plane does to get down :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:11 am

PrimroseHill wrote:Or husband's favourite airline - Bahamascare
Piloted by a well known US politician?

:wink:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:23 am

Beeroclock wrote:
well, Prop planes can land in shorter runways, hence the Dash 7 used by Berjaya Air

And they have updated to ATR 72 anyway.

Prop planes make you queasy ? I would rather do a short landing in place like Boracay, for example, in a Dash 8 Prop plane, than a Jet landing fast ..

and for academic purposes, the Prop Planes - i.e. Turbo Props, are a version of Jet Engines, per -se - instead of the fans being ducted in the Jets, they are exposed, in layman's terms.

You should also be worried travelling Jet planes in that case ..

Now, Piston Engined planes are a world apart, from Turbo props.

ATRs, Dash 8, or most of the current prop planes are turbo props ..

And one of the reason why many regional airliners are switching to turbo props, from Jets, is due to the short landing requirement (safety margin in tighter runways) and they do cover the distance faster than jets, in short sectors, vs Jets that have to climb to altitude to reach speed .. and that's just one of the benefit of Turbo Props over jets

and that's the End of History lesson :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:59 am

I seriously think the mods should snip this part of thread on scary air planes and stitch it to this thread (more relevant):

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra6 ... tml#673876

It has derailed beyond sensibility. Let's continue discussing about that once it is on the right track/thread.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:29 am

Speaking of Berjaya Air, has anyone got an update on that? Latest I heard is that they're either being bought over, upgrading their fleet, or have simply ceased flying to Tioman from Changi, all depending on who you speak to.

In any case, they're out of commission until March at the earliest. And this is from a Berjaya Air official, FWIW.