Singapore Expats

Daily Mail special

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 6:43 pm

Hmmm interesting, thanks.
I suppose when I started out I just had an idea. I didn’t imagine it would end up requiring tax-enhancement ‘or wha’ever’.
Also these days don’t you have the issue of the ‘foreign vehicle’ paying high SDLT to purchase your own property from yourself? Oh gawd, it’s all a bit onerous... This is why I’m just about done with property. Sell it CGT-free after 5+ years ex the UK, and stick it in Unilever earning 3% Smile (The future is in laundry detergent!! hehe). As with your scheme, you put the investment portfolio offshore (easy), and it becomes a non-reportable ‘tax-free’ investment.
Yep, me+missus right now. So in a way I’m thinking of extricating myself from a very long-term investment scheme (landlording), swamped in red-tape and taxation, and flip it into something more nimble/mobile and tax efficient. The only downside I see is the lack of leverage (like 85% LTV mortgages), but there comes a point when you desire to reduce your risk position...

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:04 am

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:36 am

If you calculate their basic it's about £200 (pre-tax) per working day.

So a £350 bonus, makes that about '2.75*time'. Which if you consider that means it requires them to work on a bank holiday, and not drink more than a pint or two on Xmas day itself is perhaps not overgenerous.

I take your implied point that the train-drivers/TGWU/RMT can be a very militant bunch, who have something of a record of cynically hijacking the populace by taking action at the most inconvenient days/weeks of the year. But in this case I think it might be more about encouraging drivers to roster for Boxing Day, than risking a walk-out at perhaps one weeks notice.

p.s. Oh, and I used to have a pub-friend who was a tube driver. It is a dirty, dangerous and monotonous job. I expect they get paid a 'good salary' as not a lot of people want to do it. If I spent most of the daylight hours driving a train underground in dirty and stressful conditions, I expect I'd demand decent pay and some compensating annual leave above-ground too :)

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:18 am

I mean the militantcy, striking, holding the customers to ransom. Most of us have stressful jobs, maybe not woking on the underground or in the underground, does that mean that we are all entitled to earn disportionate wages versus input? Or have over 40days off?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 2:44 pm

Well, this results from monopoly-providers, often via unionisation. Just have a look at what happened to Detroit (and of course British-Leyland etc).

Is £46k disproportionate? I'm not sure, if you think about the responsibility and stress, and just 'environmental nastiness' that goes with the job.

From what I see most union members aren't activists. IME most don't really care. But if the head of the union promises them they can get another £350 to work on a day, then yes, I can see why the tide is towards supporting it. [What I believe, I suppose, is most union members are often simply pawns].

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:52 am

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:11 am

when I get bored, I read Daily mail to entertain myself ..