Singapore Expats

My job is going to Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Z2H

My job is going to Singapore

Post by Z2H » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 5:06 am

Hi all

My current position in the UK will be outsourced to Singapore in the near future. If possible I would like to not lose my job and am considering my employers offer to relocate and carry on over there. I work as an engineer in the semiconductor industry and have 2 years experience. I've been offered 4300SD. Obviously my first questions are is this reasonable, and will I be able to live comfortably (just myself). My work site would be towards the east coast so I'd probably have to live in that area.
Any advice is most welcome.
Thanks.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: My job is going to Singapore

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 7:37 am

Z2H wrote:Hi all

My current position in the UK will be outsourced to Singapore in the near future. If possible I would like to not lose my job and am considering my employers offer to relocate and carry on over there. I work as an engineer in the semiconductor industry and have 2 years experience. I've been offered 4300SD. Obviously my first questions are is this reasonable, and will I be able to live comfortably (just myself). My work site would be towards the east coast so I'd probably have to live in that area.
Thanks.
It'll be very tight on that amount. The very cheapest you'll be able to rent on your own (without a room mate) would be half your salary. We'll call it at $500 for utilities, mobile phone, internet, and bus/train fare per month also. Taxes at that salary would be minimal, but let's say $150 a month just to be safe (there is no withholding, this is what you'd owe the following year). So you now have S$1500 per month for everything else, including your food. If you eat well, thats all of it right there. Nothing left either for smoking, drinking, or girls (or guys if thats your thing). If you have a roommate, or eat only in hawker centers, you can make the money stretch a bit farther. It's up to your lifestyle. People definitely live on that amount per month, but not middle-class English lifestyles.

I'd suggest asking for more, or seeing if any kind of allowances are included.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:25 am

zzm9980 wrote:..
plus on a shared living you may bring down rental

in your line you need to ask other allowances ... benefits

in my line we get 90% subsidized flight tickets, on standby, for example. these maybe added incentives generally not mentioned in salary offer

plus, medical can cost a bit or nothing depending upon your employer

the amount is livable but tight, and forget vacation or travel home during peak season etc

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 4:20 pm

Z2H wrote:Hi all

Thanks.
Pretty low but manageable for a single guy - esp. if you need to keep your resume going...

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 9:30 pm

The big thing is, can you put up with living in a shared apartment? if so then it's ok, a room alone will be around $1500 in a nice place with electricity/water/etc bills.
nutnut

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:44 pm

My suggestion would be, look at it from your career point of view. You are just 2 years experienced and very formative stage of your career. Do you see great prospects over here for your kinda role in the semiconductor industry? If yes, then take it. Salarywise it seems right for your experience, for Singapore standards.

Also think about how long you want to stay here and do you see a way to get back into the UK job market after your stint here is over.

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:20 pm

It's not enough unless you're getting your rent paid.
You could get by but just about.

...but what do I know, I don't even live in SG (yet) nor have I been there.

My advice is to negotiate if possible. Ask for 5-6k
The grass is greener on the other side.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 12:38 am

ohmz52 wrote:It's not enough unless you're getting your rent paid.

yeah, I am curious to know for that kind of pay offer Expat benefits apply ..

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 9:22 am

OP's job has been "outsourced".

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 5:26 pm

Your salary is good for a 2 year engineer in the semicon industry in Singapore but I am not sure if you can be comfortable on that salary based on your current lifestyle. You can rent a room alone in a 3BR condominium for about 800SGD to 1500 SGD. Make sure your employer provides comprehensive health insurance since health costs are expensive here. A car will be unaffordable on that salary.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 5:42 pm

ecureilx wrote:

yeah, I am curious to know for that kind of pay offer Expat benefits apply ..
Theoretically I think many companies will say expat benefits are not salary dependent, but depend if hiring manager can convince HR that the specific skills/capability being sought can not be filled in local market. That must be quite rare nowadays unless it's a real niche job. Also in the big MNC's they could justify expat terms for development moves for grooming "future leaders", to give them the overseas experience.

But as a general rule of thumb I'd guess that full expat benefits (housing, schooling etc) would be very rare if salary less than $8-10k/month.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 6:06 pm

If he gets a decent room to rent in a flat then he will be fine.

He will be working like hell anyway so he wont have time to piss his money up the wall.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 7:23 pm

Get a motorcycle licence ASAP if you plan to come over. That's the only affordable private tranportation.

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 7:55 am

Not sure why most ppl here automatically assume that if someone is coming from a Western country, say like in this case the UK, their lifestyle is for sure better than the lifestyle of an average Singaporean and thus costly to replicate in Singapore? This poor chap, if he lives in London god forbid, half of his salary would vanish for a modest accommodation and the rest goes for food, transport and utilities.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 8:43 am

Wrong order -noskich.
If the person works in London, most of his income will be spent on tax, then NI, train into London, unless he/she lives within Zones 1/2. Finally maybe food, accomodation