Singapore Expats

Adapting to the local culture...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 1:31 pm

To the OP:

If you were to judge by general small talk and casual conversation, most countries (and their citizens) are 'boring'.

When I lived in London, I shared a flat with and hung out most of the time with Londoners. They seemed to live for the pub, the odd bit of football and (for the homeowners) maybe a little bit of gardening. That was on the surface. Dig a little deeper and other, more interesting pastimes became apparent.

The same thing applies here.

Start with yourself. What are your passions? What are the things that interest you most? If you were to start pursuing those seriously (unless they are the kind of pastimes it is logistically difficult to do here - ice skating, obscure sports related to your country of origin etc) and you will soon bump into like-minded people, both expat and local, who you can converse with on a more satisfying level.

Or take a up a new hobby. Try something different. Church activities. Drama. Music. A new sport like Dragon Boat Racing. Wushu. Whatever. Doing something different like this will naturally lead to new, more interesting experiences and people.

When you really open your eyes, there is really no shortage of people with interesting passions in Singapore.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 6:40 pm

+1 Addadude.

There are pockets of people here doing really interesting things. Just need to dig beneath the surface a bit. EG/ look up the edible garden project in Singapore. Who knew? There are also people who volunteer for all kinds of local causes...spend your weekends supporting a charity or two. It will broaden your contacts.

russlan

Post by russlan » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 7:45 pm

Wah. Even this thread has turned into a discussion of food instead of culture - just like I thought.

Chi sin...

Thanks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 1:04 pm

russlan wrote:Wah. Even this thread has turned into a discussion of food instead of culture - just like I thought.

Chi sin...

Thanks.
I know a place that has lots of Russians.,, lol

for thread drift, well those replying are our in house regulars. without them this forum maybe dead ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 1:35 pm

@ecureilx, don't waste your and our time on topics not related to food, shopping and TV. Please.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 3:59 pm

ecureilx wrote: I know a place that has lots of Russians.,, lol
Brix? :cool:

Yes, that is one thing the OP didn't comment on. Besides food, shopping and TV, locals like to talk about their hookers/red light districts! (Maybe this fallse under shopping?) I can't tell you how many times I was asked if I'd been to Geylang and/or OT my first six months here, even by the women.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 5:49 pm

x9200 wrote:@ecureilx, don't waste your and our time on topics not related to food, shopping and TV. Please.
:wink:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 7:10 pm

:lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 10:13 pm

ecureilx wrote:I know a place that has lots of Russians.,, lol

Top 5 Club??

Edroche
Regular
Regular

Re: Adapting to the local culture...

Post by Edroche » Fri, 10 Jan 2014 2:32 pm

russlan wrote:Hey there. I've been to Singapore for almost six months now, and I like it so far, I enjoy my job and the city itself. However, I am struggling to adapt and understand the local culture.

The first thing my colleagues asked me was what are the best brands and good places for shopping in my home country. They seem entirely preoccupied with shopping, food and TV. We can hardly find anything to talk about except shopping, and it seems like they spend most of their weekends stuck in malls. I did some research on that ruthless consumerism and I still fail to understand why they don't think it is degrading and humiliating to live their whole life for shopping, talking about brands and stuff like that.

By now I am feeling completely alone and a total weirdo because I don't waste my time on shopping and food - I would rather write a useful blog post, read a business book, think about business ideas or new opportunities, or simply ride a bike in Ubin. I am so desperate it seems every single person around has absolutely no soul or passion for anything except consuming food and clothes.

Can anyone, please, share your ideas about:
1) What is the way of thinking that forces people to only care about shopping and food? What are their thoughts? What is their life like? I just fail to imagine it.
2) Is there any way to connect with the other kind of people? Any forums/meetups etc.?

Please do not take these questions as an offence. I am genuinely not acquainted with the shopping-oriented lifestyle and way of thinking and I want to understand (if not accept) it.

Thanks.
1. I think that the answer requires you to understand that it is still a developing society. Forget economy. I'd suggest learning something about their culture, Chinese especially, as they are also relatively recent immigrants regardless of what they would like to believe. I found much of this article about China to be very enlightening and promoted my understanding of the locals. http://www.china-mike.com/chinese-cultu ... ut-groups/

2. Work drinks is one reliable place if you have a few expats in the office. Otherwise its all pretty much expat orientated options IMO.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 10 Jan 2014 2:39 pm

I don't understand why this guy is wasting his time on this forum. His place is over here: http://forum.russiansingapore.com/

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 10 Jan 2014 2:42 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I know a place that has lots of Russians.,, lol

Top 5 Club??
top 5 ? no .. the one opposite has more Friends .. :D

No, I was referring to the Russian Cultural Center and their activities .. met a couple of Russians who came on an exchange program and they had made connections via the Russian Cultural Center ..

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Fri, 10 Jan 2014 4:48 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I can't tell you how many times I was asked if I'd been to Geylang and/or OT my first six months here, even by the women.
Just being in Singapore all us "dudes" are guilty for just being in the country because OT is so infamous.

I've already been asked if I've made a visit yet.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 10 Jan 2014 7:34 pm

SINexpat wrote: Just being in Singapore all us "dudes" are guilty for just being in the country because OT is so infamous.

I've already been asked if I've made a visit yet.
well, with a straight face, try asking this "what's good about it ? me and my wife would like to go around explore .. "

the truth is, for many OT = whores, and they just are stuck with that mind set .. and many haven't a clue that the OT tower has a lot of offices, and stuff. . many a good crowd works there during the day time ..

And they loathe to admit they have no clue about OT per se. ..or it's good side ..

same as Lucky plaza - when you say Lucky plaza it is equated to Bars/Filipinos .. when in reality, that place has a an equal if not bigger Indonesian resident crowd, in the apartments above, just for a start ..

ah, well, it is like going to Geylang and insisting you only went there to eat the Kway Teow at Lorong 15 (or lorong 16 ?? :twisted: )

PS: on a similiar vein, post drama, a colleague asked me how safe is Little India .. I asked her if she has been there, and she said she has never been there as it is considered not safe .. *yah right .. *

I told her, even on Sundays, it is less crowded compared to China town, in CNY .. and I told her once when I was assisting handicapped people in China town, we got yelled at for bringing the invalids..