Singapore Expats

PR Query

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Valhalla

PR Query

Post by Valhalla » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 6:20 pm

Hi, slightly unique situation

I have moved back to Singapore about a year ago. This is my second stint. Married, no kids, Race : Indian, age : 33. Combined Monthly Income ; Exceeds SGD 30,000. We both work in financial servcies

My previous stay here was from 2005 until 2010 (5 years). I had been invited by the ICA to apply for a PR in 2009 and did so. However, by the time the approval came through in 2010 (took 8 months), I had moved jobs to a Singaporean firm which posted me back to India. At the time I had highlighted this to ICA and affirmed that I would be back in a few years. I had in fact highlighted that it was the firm which has asked me to move.The Singaporean firm I work with is a very prominent one and affiliated to the govt.
They said fine my current application would be treated as cancelled, i could reapply when i return to Singapore. As it happens, my company transfered me back in 2013 to Singapore.
Obviously, one option is to wait a for a while and apply but are keen to settle down and have certainty. I feel I have a case for them to consider my prior stay in Singapore as well.

Any inputs appreciated

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:39 pm

Your original application was canceled. Not placed on a pending arrangement. Therefore your application will be a fresh application and will be adjudicated based on current guidelines. Frankly, based on your salary level, assuming that it is correct (Hopefully you dropped a zero) I don't give you much of a chance today. However, if you DID drop a zero and it's combined 300,000 then you "might" have a chance under today's guidelines but frankly, based on what we've seen recently, it still might be iffy. Only thing to do is go for it and see (but only if your figure was supposed to be 300K and not the 30K you put in the original post)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:48 pm

I assume he meant 30k per month or 360k p.a. If so must be at least in with a chance

habeebhashim

Post by habeebhashim » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 8:46 am

-HH-
Last edited by habeebhashim on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 9:17 am

Yeah, I kind of misread the OP, I just kinda slid over that somehow. So that part of my reply can be tossed, but the other side of the reply still stands. :oops:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 9:21 am

If the OP is near "C" level though, I think the odds of success will drop as C level people tend to be periodically poached to other financial institutions and parts of the world (probably how they got here as well). The ICA knows that and to them, it may not seem like a win-win solution to use up a PR slot for someone who, in all probability will not be here in a couple of years. Doesn't mean they shouldn't try, but not to be surprised if that is the result. We had one just time past week shot down in flames.

Most of the Financial listed as needed are middle/lower Senior Management positions. Not C level. Of course I don't actually know where the OP is in the hierarchy.

Valhalla

Post by Valhalla » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks for the inputs guys.My intention this time (as it was last time around) is to definitely stay for long term.The job I have is very good, stable and I have no intention of leaving. When I got the job last time around, it was always clear they were posting me overseas for 2-3 years and the idea was to move back here in the long term and stay here. Things in 2010 was far more challenging and I did not have the bargaining power to tell them I would not do the overseas stint.

On my income, the annual number exceeds annually S$400k for both of us combined. However, as application is in my name and they dont really ask for my wife's income docs. Presume I should include these in anyways. Also, i would say i am in a mid to senior level position now. As i mentioned, my company is affiliated to the Singapore govt and hopefully that counts for something.

Anyways my real question was whether I could make a case for them to consider my prior stay here (2005-10) as evidence of my commitment. I had clearly stated in my letter last time around that I was joining this Sing govt affiliated firm which had requested me to move abroad and I would surely be back in 2-3 years time. The way I see it, I have made good on that commitment I had stated. I have also retained most of my savings in my bank/brokerage accounts here.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:47 pm

It can't hurt. The more data, the easier to digest for them. Again, with evidence that return was always on the cards, it may well be enough to put you over the edge. It's worth a shot, anyway. Just be aware that there have been massive shifts in thought processes at ICA since the last GE which was after your earlier approval. Prepare for the worst and that way anything else is a win. :cool:

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:23 am

Just as a reference and something to think about, if you always had known that you would return you should have just accepted / completed PR formalities then.

Even if you were abroad you could get your REP renewed by getting a company letter that you are posted overseas for official work.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 9:53 am

Apply.
Put together an accompanying letter which explains the entire situation and be honest.
Good luck and keep in touch