Singapore Expats

transportation means singapore - JB

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tiebushan

transportation means singapore - JB

Post by tiebushan » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 3:02 pm

Hi, As far as I know, I can commute between Singapore by train and bus. Is there any other way I'm not aware of?

Also, I wish to know the price and average trip duration of each mean of transportation (during commuting hours on weekdays of course). Thank you very much.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 3:17 pm

Where in Singapore do you need to go?

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 4:44 pm

Most come in on motorbikes I reckon

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 4:51 pm

And of course the humble car.

I did see a couple of cyclists once, but they were tourists not commuters.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 4:54 pm

You can commute pretty much by any means including airplane. Whether it makes any sense is a different story but so is the question without any details.

tiebushan

Post by tiebushan » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 7:13 am

I'm commuting to CBD area (Orchard road). I'm trying to weigh between the cost and the duration of the trip. and public transportation only, since I don't own any vehicle. thanks

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 9:04 am

Ooh... painful. Orchard Road is right in the middle of peak hour maze mess, close to neither Woodlands (Causeway bridge) or Tuas (Second Link), and public transport involves you coming into Singapore by bus through either one, and then transferring into MRT and take long rides (or even change MRT lines in the middle if you take East West Line from Tuas).

And we still haven't talked about your commute from your house in JB to the bridge yet.

Best option, find someone who drives to Orchard and do car-pool. Most convenient and least painful way. Or just rent a room and live in Singapore.

Give yourself 1.5 to 2 hours for public commute from the trans-border bus to your office. Add 0.5 to 1 hour on top of that to your JB leg. And that's without factoring in traffic congestion.

tiebushan

Post by tiebushan » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 9:25 am

so, bus is out of the option? because I've read this quote here on this forum

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html
TragicallyHip wrote:Hi - I wrote this response in another forum so please forgive the "cut and paste". As such there are some points below pertaining to questions/comments people had in that other forum but still relevant to your questions I think.

To answer your questions specifically, A: yes you can get a visa to live in Malaysia and still work in Singapore and B: yes you do need to stamp your passport everytime.

==========BEGIN COPY OF MESSAGE========

I'm an expat with a family and we're building a house in Ledang Heights (right next to East Ledang). I have several friends that are doing the same (nearly all expats) and some are already living there.

When we first starting looking into it, we experienced the same negative responses that I'm reading here. You need to see through the prejudice and clutter to make a decision that works for you. My wife and I both have engineering and architecture backgrounds which helps.

Commute:
Many people don't realize that this development is 7 minutes over the Tuas link, and not north over the causeway. Most people making negative comments about the commute have only driven over on the weekends when traffic is at its worse. During the week (when you and your kids will be coming into Singapore for work and school) you can expect a commute of 35 to 50 minutes into the CBD. My kids attend the Canadian School. When the new campus is completed (near Chinese Garden) their commute will be only 25 minutes (all these times include border crossing/immigration). These are average times that I have personally experienced. The worst traffic is during weekends and holidays (Chinese New Year) and when the odd terrorist escapes from local custody (that one took me 3 hours at the border. Typical weekend traffic is about 45 minutes to an hour at the border - but this is coming from Singapore into Malaysia. Malaysia to Singapore is against the flow of traffic and faster. Remember you will live there and you don't care how long it takes for others to come into Malaysia. You'll be headed into Singapore against the traffic). No problem for someone used to a minimum 1 hour commute (or 2 hours in the snow).

Security
Again, please note there is a difference between JB (Johor Bahru) and Johor (the state). This development is not in JB. It is in a township called Nusajaya, which is the capital city of the iskandar project. These communities are gated and guarded and the entire area is not as highly populated as JB. JB (by singapore standards) has a higher crime rate. However, anyone who has lived outside of Singapore is familiar with employing some common street sense. JB is no more dangerous then any other major city in the world, and Nusajaya is "country living" by comparison. Your commute to Singapore is direct on the highway and there is no need to go down any local sideroads (if this is a concern - it's not for me).

Government and Iskandar project
It is true what one of the posters said - government changes can impact your investment. This is true anywhere in the world. Will they shut down the Iskandar project? Perhaps parts of it. The Iskandar project is huge. On a grand scale it combines several projects into one. For my investment I care only about one of those projects - Nusajaya. This is the "jewel" of Iskandar and the new government offices are almost completed. It would be foolish to kill that part of the project. Could it still happen? Perhaps but I doubt it. Just take a drive around the area and you'll be amazed by what is already built. Ask yourself this question - if the worse case scenario is that you have a beautiful home within a 1/2 hour commute of Singapore CBD and nothing else happens with that development, will you still be happy? That one was an easy one for me.

Construction Quality and cost
You get what you pay for but don't confuse total cost with Construction cost. Just because the total cost is cheaper than singapore does not mean the quality is worse. The reason things are cheap in Johor is because the land is cheap. The next variable you have to play with is the construction cost and this will vary by developer. You don't want to go cheap here or you will get some of the problems that others have posted about above. Make sure you go with a reputable developer. The only way to do this is look at existing homes. Also make sure your contract is ironclad - deadlines, materials, etc all need to be included in the specs. Be very vigilant about this. Saying floors are "hardwood" is not descriptive enough. You need to know type of wood, plank thickness and length, etc or you will end up with parquet veneer.

East Ledang is actually of good quality. I've checked it out myself. It's not top of the line (finishes, etc) but its very good value for money. We decided on a custom designed home on a larger piece of land so we are building in Ledang Heights. There you can get much bigger plots and can build your dream home. Ledang East has smaller plots and smaller homes. Still - that's a personal decision. If you like what you see then go for it. Although it's not advertised there is still plenty of land available 3rd party at Ledang Heights. It's 100% sold to other investors so the people in the office there won't bother mentioning it to you.

Can you get cheaper housing? Of course! Price is based primarily on land so it's all about location, location, location. Ledang area is prime for a very good reason. It is the closest (as the car drives) residential community to the Tuas link. It is also a beautiful sprawling gated community. Just take a drive around there to see all the amenities going up. Marina, commercial district, etc.

Schools
We'll have to wait and see. There are already some signed deals that see International Schools in the area but that's about 2 years away. For now you need to make your decision based on a commute for kids into Singapore. This commute will vary depending on school location - see above for our personal commute times.

Immigration
How do you retain your EP? PR? etc. There are lots of options to this and a bit too long to add to an already long post. But it's not a problem. You can send me a message separately and I'd be happy to talk you through it.

Final Analysis
Taking all of the above into consideration the decision was easy for us. We're moving into an 8000 sqft custom designed Balinese villa on 30,000 sqft freehold land complete with landscaping, pool and 2 dogs. Total cost less than my 1300 sqft condo in Singapore. Yes, I will be saving money and increasing quality of living
is it possible to commute in 30-35 minutes as mentioned in the quote? and are all that's said in the post true? I want to compare how much I would save to stay in JB instead in SIngapore, so I need to know if the saving in accommodation can cover for the spike in transportation cost and time. thanks

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:21 am

This CBD from the text you quoted is actually the actual CBD in Raffles. Orchard is NOT part of the CBD (more aptly, CSD - central shopping district). The author lives in Nusajaya, which is true, only 7 minutes away from Tuas Link, drives own car (hence time and convenience factors are on his side) and he conveniently forgets that during peak hours on weekdays, A LOT of people are commuting from Malaysia to Singapore for work. And that post is an old post.

1. So you're gonna live in Nusajaya?

2. You're driving your own car?

3. You're working in the actual CBD?

If no to even one of it, I'm not discouraging you but I need to give you reality check. I know too many Malaysians who wakes up at 5AM to battle jams into Singapore (both entry points) to arrive CBD by 8.30AM or 9AM. Finishes work at 8PM (OT culture) and battles the same jam out of Singapore. And they reach home in time for dinner, shower and zzz, only to wake up early the next day. Taking public transport is even worse.

True, you will save money. But you will have no life after work hours. When you're in your 40s, you will have nothing in your memory of your 20s and 30s except a fat Malaysian bank account, if that matters to you anyway.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 11:09 am

the lynx wrote: ...
And God forbid if OP decides to drive here .. Parking in CBD can set you upwards of 20 $ or more a day .. since a few car parks have become Development sites ..

Plan B for those who are trying to save $ for parking is to park far away from CBD and then ride a Park and ride -

tiebushan

Post by tiebushan » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 11:42 am

I dont own any vehicle and I work in Orchard Road, thanks for pointing that out for me that there are some differences between my condition and the guy posting the quote.

So, for my case, would it take more time to take the bus compared to private car? because both are going through the same road right? and what about the cost and time? From the "no social life" part, I'm assuming it'd take more than an hour to complete the trip back to home? what about the train? is it any better?

thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 1:25 pm

A car could conceivably take longer than the bus/mrt solution depending on the peak timing. Buses have bus lanes, cars have other cars with drivers (I use THAT term loosely) who are not known for their safe driving habits and tend to create total chaos with the accordion effect when on the highways.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 1:46 pm

I think the fastest option would be the motorbike - somebody mentioned it already.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 2:00 pm

x9200 wrote:I think the fastest option would be the motorbike - somebody mentioned it already.
just remember the bike-shelters, when the Sky Juice comes crashing from up ..

Safety on BKE ? generally, when surrounded by a lot of J Plate bikes .. it's not the best thing to ride another bike, with the J Plate bikes .. the J Plates do amazing tricks .. to get past

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 2:08 pm

FYI, there is a bus service to/from JB at Newton.

http://www.causewaylink.com.my/singapore-bus#/-1/

Bottleneck would be Fortress Maximus (aka Woodlands Immigration and Customs).

Getting a motorbike + raincoat looks very attractive all of a sudden.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."