Singapore Expats

Nationality of baby

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sugarcoatedhaws

Nationality of baby

Post by sugarcoatedhaws » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 11:12 pm

Hi all, am new to the forum. Would like to know if anyone will know the nationality of a newborn baby will follow the father or mother if born here? by a singaporean mother and a foreigner father (married in singapore) ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 11:22 pm

A child, born to a Singapore mother, in Singapore, will be automatically a Singaporean by birth and will incur any and all obligations that come with that birth. Even if the Father registers the birth with his own embassy/consulate, the child will STILL be a Singaporean by birth and will carry dual citizenship up till the time they are 21 and are then eligible to renounce. (if the baby is a male, it will have to do NS if still in the country and you will have to tread very carefully on protocol if you wish to get him out of it. One of those things will be giving up your own citizenship and leaving Singapore to go to the father's or husband's country and applying for the requisite exit permits for the son BEFORE he is 13. Do a search of the Strictly Speaking Forum for more indepth information on that subject.

But the child cannot get around citizenship if you give birth to him here. (overseas birth is a different story.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Nationality of baby

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 3:46 pm

sugarcoatedhaws wrote:Hi all, am new to the forum. Would like to know if anyone will know the nationality of a newborn baby will follow the father or mother if born here? by a singaporean mother and a foreigner father (married in singapore) ?
IF you don't want the child to have SC, give birth overseas and DO NOT register the birth with ICA. Ideally give birth in your husbands home country or make sure it's in a country where the birth can be registered at your husbands own embassy.

This is the sure fire way to avoid NS for male children. However it does not get around the problem of bringing the male child back to Singapore (you'll need a LTVP, education visa or possibly PR for that).

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 9:15 pm

Hmm, we had to register our daughter's birth . . . how does one get around that?

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 10:13 pm

Hey, Happy New Year, V! Wow, it's been a while. How the family? Good I hope.

Not sure why your wife had to register the baby birth if she gave birth outside of Singapore (provided that you registered her birth as a citizen of your country (which one I'm not too sure of considering the amount of time spent in various countries!) Which country was she born in? If Malaysia, there might be some agreement between the two countries, but I don't know.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 8:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey, Happy New Year, V! Wow, it's been a while. How the family? Good I hope.

Not sure why your wife had to register the baby birth if she gave birth outside of Singapore (provided that you registered her birth as a citizen of your country (which one I'm not too sure of considering the amount of time spent in various countries!) Which country was she born in? If Malaysia, there might be some agreement between the two countries, but I don't know.
Hello SMS - - Image - it has been a while.

Our youngest was born in Singapore, Gleneagles Hospital . . . and we had to register the birth fairly well straight up.
(And we decided the poor thing would be an Aussie. :roll: I hope she forgives us in the future . . . Actually they are all Aussies plus another nationality)

How have you been? Still in Singapore . . . the same reason still applies?

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 8:44 pm

One of the two. Son has finished his NS now. But the other still shuffles ever slowly around the house. Although, looking where that idiot in the white house has taken my country, I'm starting to have my druthers.....