Singapore Expats

CNCC form help!!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
uktospore

CNCC form help!!

Post by uktospore » Fri, 27 Dec 2013 12:16 pm

Hiya, as a fresh expat to Singapore I was hoping you could offer me advise regarding the CNCC form.
I have been offered a job by a top hotel.
I would like to state I have no criminal convictions in any country, I also have been living in Singapore for 2 and a half months on SVP (currently back in the UK)
Here is what the website says regarding the CNCC form

Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (CNCC) is issued by the Singapore Criminal Investigation Department to certify that a person has no criminal conviction in Singapore within a stipulated period of time. It is issued for immigration related purposes only.

CNCC is issued to Singapore citizens, Singapore permanent residents and foreigners who have resided in Singapore for more than 6 months and are above the age of 16.

I have questioned my employer and they have assured me it's necessary (even though I don't fit the required criteria).
My hesitation lies with the fee and the processing time vs the necessity.
It also wasn't a requirement for my partner when he applied and was granted his EP.
Thankyou in advance

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 27 Dec 2013 1:20 pm

Why would they want it? You're neither a citizen/PR nor have worked here before.

Unless they just want a regular certificate of good conduct, which you could get from your own country's police department (probably with less hassle and lower fees).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 27 Dec 2013 6:42 pm

Sounds like an administrator-drone who has to tick a box.

Why not tell them you tried to apply for one, but were told you are not eligible?

Ball in their court. 'I'd love to help, but sorry, I can't. However I can get a 'Subject Access Notice' [UK] from back home if that helps'

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 27 Dec 2013 8:14 pm

i'm not sure if you can walk into PCC and request for this document verbally just coz your employer wants one...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:38 pm

It's clear to me that you need to provide a cert of criminal clearance. IF your home country was Singapore that would be the CNCC whatever.....

As you're not from Singapore supply the equivelant from your home country.

uktospore

Post by uktospore » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 5:51 pm

Thankyou very much for your replies.
I will look further into obtaining a UK check, they're know as DBS (formally CRBs) but I'm not sure they're available for an employee to do for themselves.
I just feel like for such a massive company this is an incredibly awkward way to go about hiring a foreigner, I'm convinced I'm missing something!
I will post an update once it's resolved.
Happy New Year!

uktospore

Post by uktospore » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 6:14 pm

Oh.
Fret not. I was declined.
:(

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 6:46 pm

uktospore wrote:Thankyou very much for your replies.
I will look further into obtaining a UK check, they're know as DBS (formally CRBs) but I'm not sure they're available for an employee to do for themselves.
I just feel like for such a massive company this is an incredibly awkward way to go about hiring a foreigner, I'm convinced I'm missing something!
I will post an update once it's resolved. Happy New Year!

No, they're not. As mentioned they are called Subject Access Notices. You seem to be referring to the 'Criminal Records Bureau'? Not the same thing.
http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Ma ... 0005855548
'Making a subject access request'

re: DBS. Interesting, that's a new thing. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... ng-service
'Disclosure & Barring Service'
This seems to incorporate a 'SAN' type check, but seems broader. It seems to say aim at stopping paedos working in schools, and so on.

You have a right to get a copy of your SAN. I had to do it once long ago, to get a US visa. Pay a few pounds and wait a few weeks. I think I had to go to my local cop shop (Paddington Green - oh the joy) to request it, and prove ID etc ... Things might well have changed. that was about 10 years ago now...