Singapore Expats

Advice On Calling Overseas?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Rob_35

Advice On Calling Overseas?

Post by Rob_35 » Sat, 06 Jul 2013 6:03 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can help with this? I have just arrived in Singapore and have bought a local PAYG sim card (Singtel) from a 7-11 here to use for local contacts.

Are there any special numbers I could call that would get a cheap per minute rate to call a friend in Thailand (who uses a Thai mobile) or would I be better off buying a seperate sim card from somewhere else here that would give a better rate than a normal Singtel PAYG sim? I remember a seller at Changi who was selling sim cards that offer really cheap rates on overseas calls.

Many thanks for any help....

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 06 Jul 2013 9:31 pm

Your best bet would be to get a Skype out account that lets you dial phone numbers. Cheaper than any card I have ever used.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 06 Jul 2013 11:52 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Your best bet would be to get a Skype out account that lets you dial phone numbers. Cheaper than any card I have ever used.
For many countries, but not all. Skype to China is a penny or two a minute. To Vietnam, it's 39c a minute unless you buy very large blocks of time that expire in 30 days. And then, the bulk rate is about the same as Google Voice's normal rate.

So definitely shop it around and check the countries before committing.

Michael X
Regular
Regular

Re: Advice On Calling Overseas?

Post by Michael X » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 7:53 am

Rob_35 wrote:Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can help with this? I have just arrived in Singapore and have bought a local PAYG sim card (Singtel) from a 7-11 here to use for local contacts.

Are there any special numbers I could call that would get a cheap per minute rate to call a friend in Thailand (who uses a Thai mobile) or would I be better off buying a seperate sim card from somewhere else here that would give a better rate than a normal Singtel PAYG sim? I remember a seller at Changi who was selling sim cards that offer really cheap rates on overseas calls.

If you and your friend in Thailand both have smart phones there are a bunch of good apps that offer affordable international calling. You'll have to do some research, but I've used an app called Viber. It works well, though I still prefer skype.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 9:10 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Your best bet would be to get a Skype out account that lets you dial phone numbers. Cheaper than any card I have ever used.
For many countries, but not all. Skype to China is a penny or two a minute. To Vietnam, it's 39c a minute unless you buy very large blocks of time that expire in 30 days. And then, the bulk rate is about the same as Google Voice's normal rate.

This is true... and... if you do a bit of research you quickly discover that that the high price countries are high price on any service. It has nothing to do with Skype and everything to do with governments ripping off their own people. Philippines costs 29 cents per minute Skype... and you cannot do much better with other services or calling cards.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 10:21 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

This is true... and... if you do a bit of research you quickly discover that that the high price countries are high price on any service. It has nothing to do with Skype and everything to do with governments ripping off their own people. Philippines costs 29 cents per minute Skype... and you cannot do much better with other services or calling cards.

But Skype still tends to come in higher on those countries. I've seen a few people here just say "Just go with Skype, don't waste your time, it's the best!" but that's definitely not the case in more than a few countries.

Again, the example I used, Vietnam:

Google Voice rates at $0.08 USD per minute, whether to landline or mobile. That's pay as yo go. Skype to Vietnam is $0.33 USD per minute, pay as you go.

You can get $0.10 USD per minute if you buy it in $39/month chunks (and the time doesn't roll over), or $0.056 USD per minute in $45/month chunks.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 1:52 pm

OP, ask for a BIP phone card from those little booths you see at MRT stations. BIP has great audio, no lag and is cheap.

I used to use the Singtel phone cards, but they're not cheap at all. Mind you, that was a few years ago, so perhaps they caught up now.

I'm not happy with Skype, find it laggy and inconsistent. Plus it slowed down my pc. I prefer paying a bit for a decent line than getting a so-so line FOC.

BTW, you get an ok deal using a Singtel line with the 019 prefix, though BIP is still better price/quality-wise.

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:17 am

Has anyone had experience with using the 'callback'cards with respect to quality? I know the inconvenience of waiting for a call back sucks but the rates are amazingly low e.g 500 min to India ( a high rate country) for S$10.
Sanjiv

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:17 am

Has anyone had experience with using the 'callback'cards with respect to quality? I know the inconvenience of waiting for a call back sucks but the rates are amazingly low e.g 500 min to India ( a high rate country) for S$10.
Sanjiv

DrPaulMasters

Re: Advice On Calling Overseas?

Post by DrPaulMasters » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:45 am

Rob_35 wrote:Hi All,

Hi Rob,

if you buy a 'Hi128' (singtel) or a '130' (M1) card, these cards give you $28/$30 of international minutes, as well as a free gift of $100 local minutes. I use them to call home to my friends and family across the world, no lag, good sound quality.

Skype works fine for me, as long as I don't use video cos I have a laptop with a built in videocard, rather than a separate board. If skype audio is slowing down your computer, you might want to think about downloading a registry cleaner - it rinses away all those PUP fragments, and teh interwebz start working properly again

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 18 Aug 2013 6:03 pm

Starhub do a 018 international dial service, $5 a month and your international calls are included in your contract minutes. Not sure if this works for PAYG.
nutnut

jocox

Post by jocox » Tue, 24 Dec 2013 5:54 am

You can search for a pair of free VOIP services that provide access to the free trial period, which is enough to talk. I was looking for more free shares from the companies telephone cards, for example here I talked free week, then have a Skype account there is also a free trial period. You need to look and you will find.