Singapore Expats

Things to bring from USA

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 1:31 pm

If you're shipping a bed, be sure and bring sheets and comforters to match because bed linens are different sizes here.

Also, bring big rolls of wrapping paper. That might sound odd, but wrapping paper here is typically sold by the sheet. I just thought of that because it's time to start wrapping Xmas presents.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:17 pm

Yes, this subject comes up regularly. Nevertheless, it is often an interesting questions. Keep in mind that most goods will be more expensive here but you just need to get used to it unless the premium is really high. Some oddities here:

Deodorant typically comes with "skin whitening" advertising. If you don't like the idea of (whatever) chemicals you'll want to bring it from elsewhere. Me, I can't figure out the benefit of whiter pits or why anyone's underarms might be getting darker.

Vitamins can be unreasonably expensive here. But you'll have to refrigerate any that you bring.

Clothes and shoes. Expect your leather goods to mildew, by the way. Buy some kitchen spoons which don't mildew as well.

And check the archives for many more ideas and arguments.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 1:19 pm

scarbowl wrote:Deodorant typically comes with "skin whitening" advertising. If you don't like the idea of (whatever) chemicals you'll want to bring it from elsewhere. Me, I can't figure out the benefit of whiter pits or why anyone's underarms might be getting darker.
http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-ca ... kening.htm

Many women experience underarm pigmentation/darkening. Not sure if it is common among Westerners but for Asians it is quite a problem.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 7:15 pm

Hmmm, interesting, but you can still buy the standard stuff around at least for men - H. Boss, Davidoff etc. (deo sticks) in places like Isetan.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 8:08 pm

Has anybody seen Old Spice Deodorant (Classic) - not the white stuff with ammonium chloride in it around town? I've never been able to find it here, so always get someone to fetch me some when they go to the US (Along with 1 lb tins of Old Bay Seasoning & Triscuits) ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 7:52 am

I'm also a Triscuits fan. I just returned from a trip to the US (after being away from there more than a year) and there are some new brands of Triscuits on the market and there is now a "brown rice" line, which sounds odd but is pretty good. The boxes have also been redesigned. Nabisco should seriously consider getting Triscuits and Wheat Thins into Sg.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:24 am

On rare occasions I have found them in Cold Storage. When I do, I usually buy whatever is on the shelf! They look at me strangely when I check out with 7 boxes of Triscuits! I don't like the new smaller boxes but some of the newer flavours aren't bad. I haven't seen the brown rice ones though. Wheat Thins are also good, but my favourite is Triscuits (originals) can't beat 'em! Maybe my Son in Law will bring some back with him when he returns from his year in Dallas! Although I know he'll already be traveling heavy (thanks to my daughters shopping in between her hitches at work in Angola!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 3:17 pm

Our overseas moving company wouldn't even transport our TVs for us.
So that might kill the conversation right there.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 5:23 pm

Dert42 wrote:Our overseas moving company wouldn't even transport our TVs for us.
So that might kill the conversation right there.
Er but, US TVs wouldn't work here anyway.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 5:41 pm

The newer multi-system ones will. They have dual voltage switches and multi systems like the Singapore versions. Again, it would depend on the brand though. I doubt if a Curtis-Mathis TV will work though (went out of production in 1988). Was probably one of the best American TV's you could buy in the 80's.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 6:00 pm

Yeah isn't it a two-step thing.
- Voltage. Appreciate that's pretty easy to overcome
- The PAL vs NSTC 'thing'. Don't know about that. It used to be insurmountable..

Curtis-Mathis? Is that like an American Bang + Olufson? :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 7:11 pm

JR8 wrote: - The PAL vs NSTC 'thing'. Don't know about that. It used to be insurmountable..
This is pretty much a non-issue now.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 8:26 pm

JR8 wrote:
Curtis-Mathis? Is that like an American Bang + Olufson? :)
Yep, perxactly. My father had one from the early 80's until he died in Jan 2012. It still worked and had beautiful color for a CRT. They were the only TV you could buy with a 5 year no quibble guarantee. B + O or from a non-TV standpoint, Macintosh would be good comparisons.

acad

Post by acad » Fri, 20 Dec 2013 4:56 pm

Is it easy to get a 240v to 110v transformer in Singapore? I have a Philips baby steriliser that can only run on 110V. Thanks.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 Dec 2013 6:36 pm

acad wrote:Is it easy to get a 240v to 110v transformer in Singapore? I have a Philips baby steriliser that can only run on 110V. Thanks.
If you're moving here then it might be cheaper and simpler to order one back home, and get it put in your freight. The below is 1kW which should handle most appliances bar things like bigger hair-dryers etc. US$62 incl p+p. You'll see there are smaller ones, that are much cheaper too.

The guidance used to be, check the max Wattage rating of the appliance, then multiply by 130%. That is the rating you need to happily run an appliance via a transformer.

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-VC1000W-Vo ... er+110+240

p.s. The small trannies you could bring in a suitcase, the bigger ones can be very heavy....

I tried to check amazon.com.sg to get a comparative price here, but it point blank refused, defaulting back to the .com site each time [sigh]...