Singapore Expats

Rejection Datapoint

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
datapoin222222

Rejection Datapoint

Post by datapoin222222 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 2:28 am

Hey guys,
I have found this forum really useful during my stay in Singapore so I wanted to give back somehow even if its only providing yet another depressing datapoint.

Me:
Male, 27 Years old, US Citizen, White
Education: BSc Mathematics, Mandarin Certificate, Affidavit from Malay instructor, Industry Certifications
Salary: 9,877 Base, 70,000 variable
Passive Income: 22,000USD per year
Residency SG When applied: 3 Years 2 Months

Spouse:
Female, 30 Years old, Georgian citizen
Education: MSc Microbiology
Employment: None, Raising child

1 son born in 2013

Supporting Documents:

Employer testimonials
Letters from grassroots and fsc detailing extensive volunteer history
Patent papers from US TW
Documents detailing passive income
Letter from MP thanking me for help in constituency
Abstracts and citations for published research

Applied: July 1st 2013
Requested for Family Dossier: July 14th 2013
Rejected: Dec 10th 2013
==============================================

The rejection came as a bit of a surprise but Singapore has become progressively more bizarre during my stay. I am hurt because I specifically gave up the chance of PR in Taiwan because I thought Singapore would be a more stable place to put down roots and have a family. We integrated from day 1 by living almost completely within local circles, trying to learn the national languages, participating in community events , and volunteering. My wife and I really wanted to get to know the country before making such a big commitment, especially considering my child would be NS liable. My EP still has 3 years on it but the dreaded "you can continue living on your current passes" rejection makes it hard to enjoy the time I have left here.

I don't regret anything. Singapore has been good to me. The environment here has made me into a much stronger professional and gave me a safe place to start my family. I am glad the wait is finally over because I can now explore opportunities outside of my current company that I have been turning down to keep a stable work history. Offers have already come in at a higher salary, and some of my contacts overseas have invited me to come interview now that they know I am free. I have spent my entire adult life living abroad and adjusting to uncertainty so I think I will be fine with or without an IC.

Its been fun.

Cheers!

Foreign Trash :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 7:23 am

What was the exact wording of the rejecting? Did it have anything additional such as "You're welcome to continue working on a valid pass" or "You're welcome to reapply in XX months?"

And what is your professional field? The only thing that looks even remotely 'off' is that you seem young for such extensive experience. I wonder if that made them question something, of if they've just really raised the PR bar to the new PEP salary levels.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 9:09 am

Salary: 9,877 Base, 70,000 variable

both a month?

Also, you said it indirectly but to clarify: have you applied all together including your son?

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 9:39 am

Sorry for your bad news.... Seems a decent application but hard to be surprised nowadays. Best approach to PR application is assume rejection and allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised if approved. But it's a bummer if you've turned down other good opportunities while waiting.

Your spouse being from Georgia, could that be a factor somehow? Origin seems one of the critical determinants, so I wonder how the Central Asia countries are considered. Just a thought.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:03 am

zzm9980 wrote:What was the exact wording of the rejecting? Did it have anything additional such as "You're welcome to continue working on a valid pass" or "You're welcome to reapply in XX months?"

And what is your professional field? The only thing that looks even remotely 'off' is that you seem young for such extensive experience. I wonder if that made them question something, of if they've just really raised the PR bar to the new PEP salary levels.
My EP still has 3 years on it but the dreaded "you can continue living on your current passes" rejection makes it hard to enjoy the time I have left here.
x9200 wrote:Salary: 9,877 Base, 70,000 variable

both a month?

Also, you said it indirectly but to clarify: have you applied all together including your son?
Wife not working.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:07 am

I am sorry to hear you have been rejected. I cannot see anything wrong with this application, you even are very engaged in the local community, which I have heard before as a good plus to have. If even you are rejected, I am not sure who they still approve, or if it is just one big lottery.

I guess it is just time for you to look for better opportunities in other places; Taiwan seems like a great place if you can find a position there. Hope you find what you are looking for.

datapoin222222

Post by datapoin222222 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:08 am

No the variable is not monthly(god I wish). Industry is cybersec research. Of course I applied as a family unit. The application was meant to be applied earlier but I wanted to wait until everything stabilized after the birth of my son before submitting an application.

I have considered the age angle being a problem, but my life is extensively documented. There isn't any real way for it not to be because I left the US immediately after graduation with TW and the euro country I worked in being sticklers for paperwork.

The rejection letter came with no additional information. They said "of course you and your family can continue residing on your current passes'.

edit: SMS, that was actually my first guess before my wife's nationality being the problem. Its sad if its the case, but she had been employed overseas before we came to SG. When we ran the numbers it just wasn't worth the sacrifice in time with the family for the extra income at the time.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:22 am

BoC could have a point there.

Georgia is an Assessment Level 1 country...
http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_o ... &secid=165

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 4:44 pm

I think - only think - Singapore is quickly ratcheting down on East Euro origin folk. They let in some real clowns who I suspect have caused problems ever since they came here a few years back (I'm thinking Albanian mafia types). And no, it's not published info - just what I've picked up on the grapevine.

trashmaker

Post by trashmaker » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 4:48 pm

a
Last edited by trashmaker on Tue, 29 Dec 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 7:50 pm

datapoin222222 wrote: Industry is cybersec research.
Does Thomas Lim really pay that well? :D
j/k, and only taking a guess you work at Coseinc :p

Sorry to hear about the rejection. Especially since your overall profile is very similar to mine so I guess I could expect rejection if I were to apply also.

I wonder if they consider you a flight risk since you're a bit young and career has already spanned three countries?