Singapore Expats

Income tax payment question

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Income tax payment question

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 8:31 am

I submitted my tax return for 2012, I opened an IRAS on line account and back around (probably) end July / beginning August I saw the final tax assessment amount on line.

I then did nothing, just waited for the formal tax invoice to arrive in the post. It didn't and although the money was sitting in the bank waiting to be paid I did nothing. I was lazy.

I still didn't receive any communication by email or post from IRAS but on 28th November my bank advised they were withholding money at the request of the tax office and sure enough when I looked at my account on line it showed as a unavailable funds.

This was my first tax payment so my question is, is this normal? For the tax office to send no letters or invoices. Its all paperless here? I know I was lazy I admit it but I still think I should have received some kind of written correspondence.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:09 am

Did you possibly change addresses during the whole process? SingPost isn't the greatest at forwarding mail even when you request it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Income tax payment question

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:16 am

Steve1960 wrote:I submitted my tax return for 2012, I opened an IRAS on line account and back around (probably) end July / beginning August I saw the final tax assessment amount on line.

I then did nothing, just waited for the formal tax invoice to arrive in the post. It didn't and although the money was sitting in the bank waiting to be paid I did nothing. I was lazy.

I still didn't receive any communication by email or post from IRAS but on 28th November my bank advised they were withholding money at the request of the tax office and sure enough when I looked at my account on line it showed as a unavailable funds.

This was my first tax payment so my question is, is this normal? For the tax office to send no letters or invoices. Its all paperless here? I know I was lazy I admit it but I still think I should have received some kind of written correspondence.
Normally you should get paper mail with your tax assessment. However, this will essentially just be a print-out of the assessment you can view online through the mytax portal. And, well, the post here is not 100%, so things can get lost sometimes. The tax assessment also has a deadline on it, if you care to read it. I think payment within 30 or 60 days of assessment date, if I am not mistaken.

Bottom line is, pay as quickly as possible, notify IRAS of your oversight, and that should close the case.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 3:44 pm

No didn't change address.

No need to pay, the money was automatically deducted from my bank account at the end of November and sent to IRAS!

I guess it must have just got lost in the post. I will be more pro active next year.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 4:10 pm

Yeah, its better to be proactive. You can download the NoA online and also pay online or via AXS machine, its so simple and hassle free.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 5:11 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yeah, its better to be proactive. You can download the NoA online and also pay online or via AXS machine, its so simple and hassle free.
I was all set up and clued up to do it but got lazy and waited for a piece of paper to hit the door mat to trigger me to pay :oops: