Singapore Expats

Beware of Tiger Radler beer

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 5:16 pm

"Radler" (German for "Bicyclist") is a mix of half beer and half sparkling lemonade (like Sprite), basically the same as Shandy.
It seems that both names are now used in Singapore for adulterated versions of the original thing.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 5:22 pm

Hannieroo wrote:It doesn't taste like shandy. It tastes of cheap lemon pop.
Ah well, still an improvement then :twisted:

Looking into it (and it's not that easy to get info on it, bar some flashy graphics)... it sounds like Tiger beer with added lemon juice, rather than lemonade.

Reminiscent of the day (decades ago lol) when it was popular to drink bottles of Sol and Corona with a wedge of lime jammed in the neck.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 6:01 pm

Still is. We do enjoy it at Saint's place at our Eagles Gatherings! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 9:12 pm

the lynx wrote:Just like how Stella tastes better here than in Belgium where it came from, and Guinness too (in Dublin). I could go on with other examples of such beers but please feel free to disagree.
Blasphemy! Dublin is quite possibly the only place on the planet where Guinness tastes like Guinness. Anywhere else is a poor imitation. It comes down to the soft Dublin tap water and bar staff who actually know how to pour a pint correctly. Having said that Connor's stout (served in Harry's at Esplanade) is pretty good.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 9:33 pm

Agreed. I never liked Guinness until I visited Dublin and tried it on hand-pull (vs a stupidly mega-pressurised CO2 tap). Like a totally different beer .

Ditto Stella brewed in Belgium, Vs Stella brewed under license elsewhere (in the UK by Whitbread I think - totally different. The UK imposter is very 'tinny' in flavour.).

'Brewed under license' actually equates to
- This is not the beer on the label
- It likely tastes nothing like it either
- But we're brewing this cheap dishwater in bongoland, sticking a fancy high-end label on it, and selling to you for a premium ...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 8:30 am

Hehe I knew I must have been bordering on taking a piss when I unceremoniously added Guinness into the list. Granted, never been to Dublin yet so have not tried the stout in its rightful form yet.

Apologies to Adda, will retract my statement on Guinness. :D But Tiger still sucks bad in Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 8:42 am

You could start a whole topic on good beers that get bastardised by being 'brewed under license'.

Take for example, Asahi Dry, crisp, light and refreshing whilst packing 5%. But in the US it's 'brewed under license' by [sound effect: nails across chalk-board] Labatts of Canada.

The twist of the knife, is that the bottles are still marked 'Imported'!

p.s. I've seen African brewed Guinness reverse-imported into the UK, big 660ml bottles (itself unusual in the UK). That was in some of the dodgier bottle shops/offies in Notting Hill back-woods. Never tried some... wonder what it's like!

According to BA there are a couple of African versions. This was the first one I looked at http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10544/23134
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (Africa) - Guinness Nigeria PLC
7.5% abv [woof!]. 82/100 reviewer rating! Probably better than the original!

There is even a Malaysian version ... scores 87/100
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16004/42282

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 9:22 am

JR8 wrote:There is even a Malaysian version ... scores 87/100
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16004/42282
Yeah we have Guinnes Anchor Berhad in Malaysia. That's where Asia's supply of Guinness and Anchor come from.
Asia Pacific Brewery in Tuas is where Tiger beer comes from. From what I recalled, it also brews Archipelago.

Edit: Took a look at the websites. Golly! Both also brew Tiger, Anchor and Heineken. And I finally found out where our Bintang and Kilkenny comes from.

APB: http://www.apb.com.sg/key-brands.html
GAB: http://www.gab.com.my/about/profile.asp

Edit(2): A friend of mine is competing to represent Malaysia in GAB's Bartending National finals. Will look forward to watch her fill my pint :cool:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 9:54 am

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/jolly-shandy/79545/
'Jolly Shandy' :o :roll: Rather than adding lemon juice, this appears to be a beer/lemonade mix, hence it's only 1% abv.
Check out some of the reviews.... hehehe...

I read the links. The GAB Wiki entry says they produce Paulaner. I find that very unlikely! The idea of a centuries old mainstay of Bavarian brewing* letting anyone try and imitate their product elsewhere is just, just .... genuine lol! I'm genuinely lost for words. I'm wondering how Beppi would articulate it! :)

* One of the oldest (c1620 or something), most noble, most revered and celebrated brewers. They have their own tent-hall at the Munich Beer Festival. In fact they one of the core mainstay brewers at the festival.