Singapore Expats

Alcohol Ban in Little India ......... Job Done ......

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:50 pm

So, there was no riot in Little India over the weekend. It must have been the alcohol.

They should make it a permanent arrangement, it seems it was obviously the issue - otherwise, business as usual.

/sarcastic
nutnut

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 1:16 pm

nutnut wrote:So, there was no riot in Little India over the weekend. It must have been the alcohol.

They should make it a permanent arrangement, it seems it was obviously the issue - otherwise, business as usual.

/sarcastic
and the businesses / Restaurants there too had a healthy problem .. no customers .. :) so better to ask them also to pack up ..

/sarcastic

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 1:31 pm

CNA showed report in the morning where some shop owners in LA were reporting a large increase (IN-crease, not DE-crease!) in earnings. :???:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 2:00 pm

I have the 'Perfect-for-Singapore' solution :twisted:

Restrict alcohol sales only to those with a pink (or maybe also blue) I/C.

Only allow unrestricted alcohol sales at select establishments with special 'unlimited' alcohol permits, which coincidentally will be carefully controlled and only sold to those locations frequented by 'desirable' foreign talent and tourists, say in the Quays, MB, Orchard, etc areas. (And owned by an SME that Temasek etc. has ownership in!)

With a few more ideas like this I fancy I could be an MP on this little red dot.
:P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 2:09 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I have the 'Perfect-for-Singapore' solution :twisted:

Restrict alcohol sales only to those with a pink (or maybe also blue) I/C.

Only allow unrestricted alcohol sales at select establishments with special 'unlimited' alcohol permits, which coincidentally will be carefully controlled and only sold to those locations frequented by 'desirable' foreign talent and tourists, say in the Quays, MB, Orchard, etc areas. (And owned by an SME that Temasek etc. has ownership in!)

With a few more ideas like this I fancy I could be an MP on this little red dot.
:P
And rename the country to -> "choose a name from Sandpit" .. + pore .. Mideast-pore ??

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 2:40 pm

ecureilx wrote:
And rename the country to -> "choose a name from Sandpit" .. + pore .. Mideast-pore ??
Why do that? I don't get it.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 2:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
the idea of Liquor permit for drinking is common in a middle eastern country .. I don't know about other countries

While visiting my cousin, my cousin said he has a liquor permit, allowing him to buy and consume liquor .. funny, it wasn't ..

PS: Sandpit = Middle East ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 3:28 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
the idea of Liquor permit for drinking is common in a middle eastern country .. I don't know about other countries

While visiting my cousin, my cousin said he has a liquor permit, allowing him to buy and consume liquor .. funny, it wasn't ..

PS: Sandpit = Middle East ..
Oh, Liquor permits are used in the US too. I also know they're used in India, as i know someone who makes a lot of money due to family connections which allowed him to get one. In fact, I just assumed any business here that served liquor had one too. My mistake then. :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 4:06 pm

I don't remember having to get a personal Liquor permit, to buy & consume booze, when I turned 21. :o Did I miss something there or had a Whoosh????
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 4:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't remember having to get a personal Liquor permit, to buy & consume booze, when I turned 21. :o Did I miss something there or had a Whoosh????
No, but a business needs one to sell. Was squirrel talking about personal permits? If so then I missed that, and he understood my original joke.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 4:19 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't remember having to get a personal Liquor permit, to buy & consume booze, when I turned 21. :o Did I miss something there or had a Whoosh????
No, but a business needs one to sell. Was squirrel talking about personal permits? If so then I missed that, and he understood my original joke.
I was referring to permits for consumption.. :)

BTW, in Singapore, to sell you need permits anyway, and must paste the large notice, if you allow people drink on your premises, something like .. "is allowed to sell intoxicating liquor .. " not that anybody even bothers to see it ..

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 4:37 pm

Yeah, UAE you get a special permit for personal buying with set limits. It worried me when it was on our moving list.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 6:44 pm

Sergei82 wrote:CNA showed report in the morning where some shop owners in LA were reporting a large increase (IN-crease, not DE-crease!) in earnings. :???:
Naturally, of course! After a riot and people getting killed (or was it just one?), and the news being reported around the world: With alcohol being banned, despite most people going there for shopping, and Food W/Beverages ... despite ALL of those considerations, trade is up!

Amazing isn't it!

It's like they banned the Indians from Little India, dissuaded the majority of people from visiting, and yet everything is suddenly running at 150%!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 9:24 am

JR8 wrote:Naturally, of course! After a riot and people getting killed (or was it just one?), and the news being reported around the world: With alcohol being banned, despite most people going there for shopping, and Food W/Beverages ... despite ALL of those considerations, trade is up!

Amazing isn't it!

It's like they banned the Indians from Little India, dissuaded the majority of people from visiting, and yet everything is suddenly running at 150%!
well, it was a bit annoying when CNA was doing hour by hour update, that there were no incidents in LI, and then "so far, no violations occurred .. " etc

And then, when I was at a charity lunch on Sunday, a SG'n asked how is Little India, and I went "same same .. " and she was like "oh, I never been there, I am so scared and terrified to go there, even before the riots. All my friends say it is unsafe .. "

I am like "REALLY ?" and I told her nicely, compared to China Town during the CNY month, Little India is not that packed, even on the worst crowded day of the year ..

Yes, there are a lot doing 'tourist' visits to Little India I guess .. and making up the numbers. Including some volunteers who decided to distribute Ice Cream as a show of Friendship to "INDIAN FRIENDS .. "

PS: Sometime ago, I wrote about a few locals, who claimed they were terrified to go to Little India, and surprise Surprise, saw a few of them in Mustafa, and they said with a silly look on there face, that, Only Mustafa can find almost everything .. especially late night ..

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 9:53 am

I've had a couple of local friend-girls (not girl friends) who were telling me they've never been to Little India, because they're very scared (ages: late 20s, early 30s, one Chinese, another Malay).