Singapore Expats

UK resident looking for work in Singapore - advice welcome

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Mli2

UK resident looking for work in Singapore - advice welcome

Post by Mli2 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 4:01 am

I am a qualified Accountant who is looking for work in the Singapore.

I have been sending off my CV and applying for jobs but without success at the moment. Some recruitment agencies have suggested that I would need to be resident in Singapore before they will consider me.

Does anyone have any experience of securing work in Singapore from the UK who can offer some advice as to the most effective route in.

Appreciate any help.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 9:29 am

Hi MLi2,

What niche skills are you offering? What do you offer that local accountants don't?

Consider it like that. Why should an employer that needs an accountant in two weeks, be speaking to some chap half way around the world, who likely can't arrive for 3 months?

Physically coming here for a couple of weeks, and lining up a list of interviews is one thing some people do. Having a clear UK-exit/SG-arrival plan, also demonstrates you can move in double-time if required.

HTH

Mli2

Post by Mli2 » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 5:51 am

Thanks for responding...

My niche skills include - leadership / project management / multinational experience / Insurance & Engineering background.

The is combined with high performance 'soft' skills such as people management / effective decision making / time management.

I already have friend who work/live in Singapore and who would support my transition to cut down the time required to move (1 month) and adjust to life in a new country.

The question you ask is absolutely valid and all I am looking for is for someone to understand that I am a determined and intent on proving my quality in this new environment.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 6:03 am

Mli2 wrote:Thanks for responding...

My niche skills include - leadership / project management / multinational experience / Insurance & Engineering background.

The is combined with high performance 'soft' skills such as people management / effective decision making / time management.

I already have friend who work/live in Singapore and who would support my transition to cut down the time required to move (1 month) and adjust to life in a new country.

The question you ask is absolutely valid and all I am looking for is for someone to understand that I am a determined and intent on proving my quality in this new environment.
Your skillset doesn't sound very niche and would be very easily filled by locals.

I'm sorry but with the current anti-foreigner backlash, your chances are slim.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:21 am

Just to tag on... you didn't mention if you have any Asian experience. Things tend to be done somewhat differently, and that may be another reason you are getting responses.

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 2:38 am

Maybe tailor your CV to individual roles to which you are applying to.

Send off brief covering letters along with the CVs?

Lastly, it's all a waiting game, you will find something eventually.
The grass is greener on the other side.