Singapore Expats

Online grocery ordering

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
SINexpat

Online grocery ordering

Post by SINexpat » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 5:48 am

Hi Folks, first post here.

I'm moving to SIN right after the New Year. Curious about the food shopping.

Noticed there is online orderings with delivery to the condo. Any input on who is the "best" to use?

Haven't picked my condo yet but it will most likely be in the Tanjong Rhu area if location makes a difference.

Looking forward to being in Singapore finally. Been in China last 4 years.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 6:52 am

Cold Storage delivers groceries from online orders for a $7 fee. It's great to use if you are ordering lots of heavy stuff, such as laundry detergent, cases of soda, etc. someone from the store will call you if the item you ordered isn't in stock and will recommend substitutions and you can say yes or no. Depending on what time of day you place the order, it'll be delivered the following day or two.

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 6:57 am

thanks bedok, do they set a time to deliver?

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 7:44 am

Yes, typically you'll get a time range, such as "between 1-4pm" or "9am-12pm" or something like that. I think on the Cold Storage website you can select a preferred delivery time.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:24 am

If you are moving to the Watten Estates area there is a small outfit called Heng Heng which is located in the Greenwood shopping area. They'll get what you want.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 3:39 pm

Tanjong Rhu is very close to Kallang Cold Storage in Kallang Leisure park - just a short walk or bike ride across a pedestrian bridge or a short cab ride. You can go in there stock up and they will deliver - or just take a $4 cab ride home.
Alternatively, Sin Aik in Tanjong Katong Road South is a small provision store but they have EVERYTHING, cheaper and they also deliver. You can order over phone or buy and they will deliver. All free delivery.

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 4:06 pm

Great info! Thank you.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 4:13 pm

We use fairprice online and generally happy with it. Fairprice is a lot cheaper than CS if your cost conscious. If you get OCBC plus credit card they rebate the delivery fee for orders over $150, which I always do. It's a super option if you're living without a car to buy all heavy eg liquid and bulky eg toilet paper items. I wish I started doing it earlier but having kids prompted us to start. Tend to buy meat, fruit and veg fresh but everything else online.

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 7:18 pm

beeroclock, it's just me but as you mentioned that carrying things like bottled water/soda etc seems easier to do online and get delivered.

My schedule is such with work and going to the gym that having this option is perfect.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:53 pm

SINexpat wrote:beeroclock, it's just me but as you mentioned that carrying things like bottled water/soda etc seems easier to do online and get delivered.

My schedule is such with work and going to the gym that having this option is perfect.
In my experience the online selection isn't always as good. We wound up doing what Beer did, going to Fairprice and just using the free delivery option for everything except the perishables.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 15 Dec 2013 8:23 am

Both Cold Storage and Fairprice are generally ok (I used them both for online delivery).
One of our regulars also recommended Redmart, but I have no personal experience with them: https://redmart.com

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:41 am

x9200 wrote:Both Cold Storage and Fairprice are generally ok (I used them both for online delivery).
One of our regulars also recommended Redmart, but I have no personal experience with them: https://redmart.com
I used to use cold storage and have now switched to Redmart. The key two reasons are
1) They are free delivery after $100 (i think)
2) Their delivery slot is at a 2 hour slots (Cold Storage is a 4 hour slots). It makes receiving delivery on a weekday after work, a lot easier.

Based on experiences, they generally don't call if they are missing some products (Cold Storage will always call if they don't have a certain product). I usually eye-ball if I received everything while my colleague will check the list. he said he had a few missing items and/or dented items, but I don't really have that problem.

Overall, I think its useful if you need basic and heavy essentials like washing powder, bottled drinks, etc.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:44 am

For Baby milk powder and Diapers, use these guys:

http://luvbabies.kimsang.com.sg/

They are cheaper than supermarket prices.

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:14 am

wd40, I'm single and my daughter is in college in the US. Won't be ANY diapers in my future. lol

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:27 am

Could be some in your future if you have a daughter. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers