Singapore Expats

Can foreign citizens be trusted to defend Singapore?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 7:20 am

Mad Scientist wrote:smoko : you are hell bent to get the answers you want to hear eh?
"OK Smoko, you've made good points. You've convinced us! We're going to exempt you/your kid/whoever it is you care about from his NS service. "

---Singapore ICA

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 9:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:AMG, you might be surprised. The are large numbers of US Green Card holders in the US military. As you are aware of, I'm sure, the US military has been a voluntary military since the end of the VN war. Considering they are not required to do military service at all as a Green Card (PR) holder, it says alot about PRs doesn't it? Sure there are a lot that wouldn't be great, but as cannon fodder, they'll do. They can spend the whole hitch peeling spuds. Once in, they will do with you as they wish. Not a real security problem.
Is a substantial fraction of the US GC holders seeing their PR status as a stepping stone similar way some SG PRs do?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:21 am

Sure they do. Without a doubt. Why not cut the waiting time from 7 years to 2 years if it is citizenship that they really and they feel it's worth fighting for. Sadly, there is the problems here if most just wanting to abuse the PR because it's so easy to get (or was).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoko

Post by smoko » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 1:18 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:smoko : you are hell bent to get the answers you want to hear eh?
"OK Smoko, you've made good points. You've convinced us! We're going to exempt you/your kid/whoever it is you care about from his NS service. "

---Singapore ICA
=D> :D

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 2:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sure they do. Without a doubt. Why not cut the waiting time from 7 years to 2 years if it is citizenship that they really and they feel it's worth fighting for. Sadly, there is the problems here if most just wanting to abuse the PR because it's so easy to get (or was).
I think that could be the key point here... :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:08 am

x9200 wrote:Is a substantial fraction of the US GC holders seeing their PR status as a stepping stone similar way some SG PRs do?
SG PR as a stepping stone ??? seriously, if you are of Asian Origin, the SG PR has ZERO value, absolutely no value, other than it being a Myth that the SG PR is a "STEPPING STONE" ..

this was described in detail before, by WD 40 ..

sundaymorningstaple: A distant relative of ours sent his two kids to US, to avoid NS .. and when they found the US Passport is getting tougher, both enrolled, and one was sent to Helmand and the other Somewhere up north ..

and both were shot at, but managed to live the Tour .. and became newly minted US Citizens, upon completion .. yah, they wanted to avoid NS in SG .. and it went well I guess ;)

We never miss a chance to tell the two, if they had been here, done NS, their tour of duty over Afghanistan may have been limited to over-flying the country..

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 9:08 am

I am an American who served on submarines. Singapore is an ally.

If Singapore needed to be defended, it would be your allies like the US/UK, etc that would actually defend SG in a full scale conflict not the SG army or airforce. No way you SG could do it alone.

In fact I think SG is in a great position since you are almost assured 100% protection and not having to pay for it. In the US we spend a fotune on the military (not a good thing).