Singapore Expats

SG mum returning home with 2sons

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Boonlw

SG mum returning home with 2sons

Post by Boonlw » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 9:20 pm

Hello. I am a Singaporean and my husband is a Brit. Few years ago, I read several threads in this forum about the implications for Singapore citizenship and National Service. Thanks to those useful information posted here, we applied UK passports (only) for our sons - 3 years old & 7 months old. Both of them are born outside Singapore. We are currently living in Germany and may be relocating to Singapore in the summer next year. I would think my husband's company will apply employment pass for father & dependent passes for the boys.

My question is - having Singaporean mum, do you think we may encounter problems from Immigration eg questioning us for not applying Singapore citizenship/passports for our sons? As long as we don't enjoy any benefits what the citizens / PRs would enjoy, are we 'safe'?

Whether to apply PR for my husband / citizenship for my boys is too early to decide. Mainly because husband's job may requires him to relocate every few years.

Appreciate and thanks for your input.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: SG mum returning home with 2sons

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 9:56 pm

Boonlw wrote:Hello. I am a Singaporean and my husband is a Brit. Few years ago, I read several threads in this forum about the implications for Singapore citizenship and National Service. Thanks to those useful information posted here, we applied UK passports (only) for our sons - 3 years old & 7 months old. Both of them are born outside Singapore. We are currently living in Germany and may be relocating to Singapore in the summer next year. I would think my husband's company will apply employment pass for father & dependent passes for the boys.

My question is - having Singaporean mum, do you think we may encounter problems from Immigration eg questioning us for not applying Singapore citizenship/passports for our sons? As long as we don't enjoy any benefits what the citizens / PRs would enjoy, are we 'safe'?

Whether to apply PR for my husband / citizenship for my boys is too early to decide. Mainly because husband's job may requires him to relocate every few years.

Appreciate and thanks for your input.
I think you'll be fine. It's an implied choice as per the Singapore constitution as to whether you wished (at the time) to apply for SC for the children of an SC mother. It's not an obligation to do so.

Boonlw

Post by Boonlw » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 7:25 am

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 7:40 am

I concur with PNGMK.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Boonlw

Post by Boonlw » Mon, 26 Oct 2015 4:59 pm

Finally we have relocated to Singapore 2 months ago. There was a long delay with my husband's job transfer. My 2 boys are now settled down in local daycare.

Now my older boy is due for primary 1 registration next year for 2017 intake. As my boys are non SG citizens nor PR, MOE will not guarantee a seat for primary school enrollment. The whole process of phase 3 primary 1 registration (for foreigners) and the recent announcement of school fees increase (for foreigners) are extremely daunting.

Hence there are 3 options
1) apply SG citizenship for my boys, if it is still possible
2) my husband and the boys apply PR
3) take the chance and apply primary 1 through phase 3 registration.

We want our boys to do national service, it is a good training ground for them. Would like to find out what other implications involved with above options. Is it possible for my sons to keep their GBR citizenship and renounce SG citizenship, after they complete national service? With that in mind, will there be a problem for them to apply SG employment pass, if a job opportunity arises in the future?

Appreciate for your input and comments. Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Oct 2015 5:57 pm

Boonlw wrote:Finally we have relocated to Singapore 2 months ago. There was a long delay with my husband's job transfer. My 2 boys are now settled down in local daycare.

Now my older boy is due for primary 1 registration next year for 2017 intake. As my boys are non SG citizens nor PR, MOE will not guarantee a seat for primary school enrollment. The whole process of phase 3 primary 1 registration (for foreigners) and the recent announcement of school fees increase (for foreigners) are extremely daunting.

We want our boys to do national service, it is a good training ground for them. Would like to find out what other implications involved with above options. Is it possible for my sons to keep their GBR citizenship and renounce SG citizenship, after they complete national service? With that in mind, will there be a problem for them to apply SG employment pass, if a job opportunity arises in the future?

Appreciate for your input and comments. Thanks.

Apply for PR for your husband and sons. Yes, the sons will have to do NS. Afterwards, if they are able to secure a position in Singapore they will have to qualify just like any other foreign job applicant.

However, it's debatable whether the ICA will give your sons PR as you are a SC they will probably only entertain application for SC. After they finish NS they will have to renounce one country's citizenship within 12 months of their 21st birthday. If they renounce SC, they may or may not be granted a LTVP, if not, they will have to return to GBR. If they renounce SC they can always return and if qualified, get a job here, provided they qualify just like any other foreigner. They will not get any favours in that regard because of being former SCs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Boonlw

Post by Boonlw » Tue, 27 Oct 2015 9:43 am

Thank you for your advice sundaymorningstaple.

That's a relief to know. We are concerned that ICA will disregard/reject their employment pass application entirely, because they renounce SG citizenship, even after the boys complete NS. It is fair, as long as ICA treats their EP application, the same as they would process other foreigner's application.

My next question is the length of processing time for PR application. I went to ICA website and it states that applicant has to submit at least 6 months of payslips. Which means we can apply PR after Feb 2016. Primary 1 registration usually takes place from June to August, depending on what phase the children fall in. Quite concerned with the timeline.

Many thanks again.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:54 am

PR applications can take from 3 months to 2 years (rarely that long, but we have had them on here with time frames between 18 and 24 months, albeit the averages seem to between 7 & 14 months.

Boonlw

Post by Boonlw » Wed, 28 Oct 2015 2:44 pm

I see. Thanks again sundaymorningstaple!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 03 Nov 2015 2:20 pm

Boonlw wrote:...Now my older boy is due for primary 1 registration next year for 2017 intake. As my boys are non SG citizens nor PR, MOE will not guarantee a seat for primary school enrollment. The whole process of phase 3 primary 1 registration (for foreigners) and the recent announcement of school fees increase (for foreigners) are extremely daunting.

We want our boys to do national service, it is a good training ground for them...
i'm curious: are you applying for PR/SC simply to ensure your kids get preferential treatment for the purposes of school admission/fees.

your line of questions also seem to be directed towards that end. perhaps it might be easier to just put them into a "no name" school with low enrolment figures than mess about with their future.

i'm pretty sure MOE will put your boy somewhere if distance/name is of no interest to the parent(s).
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Boonlw

Post by Boonlw » Tue, 03 Nov 2015 6:50 pm

Dear Taxico

I disagree with you. Being foreigners, it is a fact that MOE is not obliged to accept my children in local schools.

Basically we just want successful placement in local schools. We have already shortlisted a couple of primary schools, which are not popular among the SC/PRs and historically have more successful placements for phase 3 registration.

We are in a parent support group for phase 3 group in primary 1 registration (for foreigners). For the past couple of weeks, so far more than 50% of the parents (EP/DP) received rejection letters from MOE for 2016 intake. It is final decision and no appeal will be entertained, which is stated very clearly by MOE in those rejection letters. In the letter, the parent is encouraged to think of alternative education for their children or take up AEIS test (sort of aptitude test) in the following year for primary 2 intake. Again there is no guarantee that the child will get a spot. These parents applied to less popular schools or schools which historically have high acceptance for phase 3 registration.

Yes we apply SC/PR because we want our boys to have an education in local schools, within our means. And we have the intention to settle down in Singapore. As for citizenship, ideally we prefer the children to choose for themselves when they get older. For my boys, NS is the best training ground to help them to embark into adulthood.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 8:29 am

Boonlw wrote:Dear Taxico

I disagree with you. Being foreigners, it is a fact that MOE is not obliged to accept my children in local schools.

Basically we just want successful placement in local schools. We have already shortlisted a couple of primary schools, which are not popular among the SC/PRs and historically have more successful placements for phase 3 registration.

We are in a parent support group for phase 3 group in primary 1 registration (for foreigners). For the past couple of weeks, so far more than 50% of the parents (EP/DP) received rejection letters from MOE for 2016 intake. It is final decision and no appeal will be entertained, which is stated very clearly by MOE in those rejection letters. In the letter, the parent is encouraged to think of alternative education for their children or take up AEIS test (sort of aptitude test) in the following year for primary 2 intake. Again there is no guarantee that the child will get a spot. These parents applied to less popular schools or schools which historically have high acceptance for phase 3 registration.

Yes we apply SC/PR because we want our boys to have an education in local schools, within our means. And we have the intention to settle down in Singapore. As for citizenship, ideally we prefer the children to choose for themselves when they get older. For my boys, NS is the best training ground to help them to embark into adulthood.
I support your efforts here and as your children are young enough to join into the system should do so.

On the topic of dual citizenship - I would never encourage an illegal action but I fail to see how the Singapore government can be certain your boys have given up the other countries citizenship completely. In the case of my son; his citizenship in the country of his birth can be reinstated very easily even if he has 'given it up (i.e. handed passport in) at 21'. Even if he doesn't take it back up he can always gain right of residency as a former citizen. So give up the other country at 21 if they have job/prospect here and plan for them to go 'back' if they wish.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 3:58 pm

Boonlw wrote:Dear Taxico ... I disagree with you. Being foreigners, it is a fact that MOE is not obliged to accept my children in local schools...
i appreciate your reply. my experience stems from knowing many non-SC/PRs parents that have managed to get their kids into local schools without too much fuss, including through the AEIS route.

perhaps things have changed since i no longer meet other expats on a regular basis (i am only in Singapore 3 months out of a year).

good luck to your boy's application - whatever the outcome, moms have a way of making it work.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Boonlw

Post by Boonlw » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 8:17 pm

Thank you PNGMK! We will explore that when the time comes.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Nov 2015 8:16 am

Boonlw wrote:Thank you PNGMK! We will explore that when the time comes.

Let's just say I know an old pommie (Brit) who as a new Singapore citizen also carries a UK passport.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!