Singapore Expats

Ang Mo vs Singaporean

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Ang Mo vs Singaporean

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 6:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-mWWi_UwMI

This is awesome. I particularly like the body hair, the lady with boobs and the beer one :D

The chillie one too :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 8:02 pm

+1!!

Good stuff! :lol:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 8:42 pm

Other than the spicy food one, I think it's rather accurate, I have met many Singaporeans who simply cannot take spicy food.
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 8:43 pm

Definitely not me re: chillies. I eat 'em hotter'n most locals. More like Indo style or Thai style. Have to admit though, a number of them gave me a good chuckle. :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 8:51 pm

Well, as far as stereotypes is concerned, the chillie thing is correct :) I have come across a few Ang Mos and Filipinos who cannot handles chillie, I mean not even a bit of it. But all Singaporeans can take a bit of chillie if not a lot. I know Americans who cannot handle Mexican food :)

But I would have liked the video to be a bit more of a tie. For example the fitness one, I definitely think, as a stereotype, you would expect Singaporeans to be more fit than Ang Mohs, no?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 10:56 pm

It's playing on stereotypes in a humorous way. Stereotypes tend to be based upon perceived majority opinion, it does not make them 100% or even 50% accurate. The humour is meant to make you laugh by considering your own experiences and opinions, and laughing at yourself, more so than the 'target'. Much humour (higher-end/non-slapstick) works in this way.

People didn't laugh at generations of Irish jokes because they considered the 'line' suggested was a realistic or true one. Ditto re: the Germans and Polish jokes. I'm sure many countries invoke a neighbouring country, as a comedic figure of fun...

p.s. and no, many westerners can't 'take chili', but it's more as it is totally outside of the culture. *Even if they could they wouldn't wish to*. Same way as my SGn mother-in-law refuses to eat anything that isn't spicy (when she's in Europe she even carries sachets of chili sauce in her handbag, to liberally douse everything with :)).

Would you like to eat a ham joint wrapped in waxed paper and hung off a beam in a barn for 2 years until it's essentially rotted to a solid 'cured' mass ('old ham')? Or, sour cream + salt oat porridge (rommegroet)? Or cheese that is so stinky it would knock flies out the air from 5M and you have to keep in it a sealed jar (gammelost). Japanese natto, live 'drunken prawns' or sashimi off a still breathing fish? ... the list goes on :)

p.s. Apols, I went on a bit longer than I expected and sound very earnest. Nothing personal, I just got into a groove... :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 12:14 am

Wd40 wrote:For example the fitness one, I definitely think, as a stereotype, you would expect Singaporeans to be more fit than Ang Mohs, no?
Why?

After all, the "stereotype soldier" here has his maid carry his backpack and they are know to fall over dead more than most other soldiers while in training. So, to me I'd have to disagree. But yeah, you would expect so, but in the long term, I think up to the age of say 40, you would probably be wrong. Thin doesn't necessarily equate to being more fit.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 12:35 am

Most of my parents/aunts/uncles etc are in their 70s+, and I think all of them are fitter than me. I last witnessed it a few years ago when our extended family group did a pretty wild rural hike (5-6hrs) uphill, up to a remote mountain glacier in Scandinavia.

They absolutely left me and my SGn wife for dust, panting for a rest, despite us being half their age.

City life does not lend you to being fit, that's why city people can choose to join gyms (which most don't), and country people don't have to.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 9:14 pm

:lol: I like . . . though have yet to see a red-blooded Singaporean man NOT 'pfwoar' at big boobs

'nuff said Image

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 9:04 am

Any man would go phwoar at any boob size. Natural or not.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 9:42 am

Anything is out of the ordinary always stands out, like Chinese with big boobs. Thats what makes men go "pfwoar" :)

Like this CNA financial reporter Wei Du. She makes even bad financial news sound better :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lE1dIkEReQ

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 1:21 pm

Sorry, I'm the energizer bunny type. A couple of AA will keep me going & going, and going...... :lol: