Singapore Expats

EP cancelled, want to elongate stay in SG 2 find another job

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lucky24

EP cancelled, want to elongate stay in SG 2 find another job

Post by lucky24 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 9:54 pm

Hey Everyone,

For all the experts out there i have a question,

My husband recently lost the job and the EP is about to be cancelled in a week or so. We want to stay in Singapore and look for another job.

I know that after EP gets cancelled, we may get 30 days grace period. But considering this is a very slow period and closing/holiday time, it's highly unlikely that we can get another job of same caliber within next 30 days.

Could someone please tell us about any possible ways to extend our stay beyond this grace period of 30 days and continue to look for jobs in SG.

Thanks in advance
:)

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:57 pm

Are you working and earning more than $4000? Then you could sponsor your husband's DP, if you are on EP yourself. Otherwise, if you are on DP or LTVP, your options are very few if your husband does not find a job quickly. For finding a job quickly, I'd try everything available online, be really active and pro-active on LinkedIn, and go to every networking event you can find that has some relevance and draw, as well as getting into contact with everyone who could be a lead.

Afaik, the SVP you get on EP cancellation cannot be extended. You can exit, stay a few days outside of SG, and come back to hopefully get another 30 or 90 days (depending on your passport). Those are extensible, but any extension is at ICA's discretion.

And doing the visa run (going in and out every month or so) is something nobody in this forum with some experience would recommend these days. You may be denied entry each time you try, and the risk of that happening increases as you continue doing that. Some people are denied on the first try, others do this for more than 6 months without interference. It's a gamble.

The only other option is PEP, if your husband's last salary was $12,000 or more. You can be out of a job for 6 months on that, but I am not sure about the rules for dependents.

In your situation, I'd make plans to pack up and leave on short notice if your husband cannot find a job quickly.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:04 pm

My guess is you are from India. Agree with AngMohG. There isn't much you can do. If I were you I would start packing and look simultaneously for jobs in India. Go back and then look afresh to come back to Singapore. I am assuming you dont have any property here, so why the need to stay here jobless and look for a job, when you have no legal residency status here?

habeebhashim

Post by habeebhashim » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:30 am

-HH-
Last edited by habeebhashim on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:59 am

habeebhashim wrote:When is the new rule for company's having to advertise for local talent before hiring foreigners going to be enforced? Wasn't it from Jan 2014? If that's the case, it'll be best to get a job before year-end.

-HH-
I think it is Aug next year.

habeebhashim

Post by habeebhashim » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:16 am

-HH-