Singapore Expats

Seeking temping work, which agencies can I use?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Capallbosca

Seeking temping work, which agencies can I use?

Post by Capallbosca » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 5:41 pm

Hi folks,

I am just looking for some advice here. I recently arrived in Singapore along with my wife who has a job here. I'm searching for a job myself but am finding it fairly quiet at the moment, and am aware that as Christmas approaches, I've very little chance of securing a job until Jan or even Feb at the earliest.

For this reason I'm looking for temporary work, either in office admin, event operations, anything along those lines. I have tried applying for 1 or 2 things with no response. I was wondering if you could recommend any decent agencies that I might use? I would also consider barwork but having stuck my head into 1 or 2 pubs, this seems to be only for Singaporeans/PRs only, though maybe I'm wrong? Basically I'm desperate to do something and start meeting people as sitting about in the flat applying for jobs with only the odd bite is getting demoralising, and it would do no harm to bring in a few extra shillings as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Many thanks to you all

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 6:54 pm

What visa are you on, and does it allow employment?

I suspect most locals operations like it plain-vanilla. They'd rather employ locals than high-maintenance foreigners (unless you've some speciality worth $ to them).

Capallbosca

Post by Capallbosca » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 8:38 pm

I'm on DP visa at the moment, so will just need the LOC from my wifes employers. I'll be aiming for my own work pass when I get secure employment but I very much doubt I'd be getting that to secure temping work. Thanks for your response by the way

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 9:57 am

Capallbosca wrote:I'm on DP visa at the moment, so will just need the LOC from my wifes employers. I'll be aiming for my own work pass when I get secure employment but I very much doubt I'd be getting that to secure temping work. Thanks for your response by the way
Events Organising is pretty popular here, I would suggest you start networking. Hanging out around Boat Quay / Robertson Quay and getting to know folk appears to be the best way to get a foot in the door for the jobs you are looking at.
Life is short, paddle harder!!