Singapore Expats

Amateur photographer for business photos

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Amateur photographer for business photos

Post by Fortan » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:16 pm

Anyone out there who knows how to take a few professional business photos? I need to get some taken for various profiles on the internet and my website.

MOD NOTE: removed rule violation

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:22 pm

Psst... here's a fail-safe way. Got to the passport photo kiosks you often find in MRT stations and malls. You can do a very nice business profile photo DIY and you can control how you want your photos to be.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:29 pm

the lynx wrote:Psst... here's a fail-safe way. Got to the passport photo kiosks you often find in MRT stations and malls. You can do a very nice business profile photo DIY and you can control how you want your photos to be.
I want something that looks a little more flashy Lynx.... I have plenty of the other stuff...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 10:12 am

What are "professional business photos"?

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 10:54 am

x9200 wrote:What are "professional business photos"?
Photos of people which are to be used to promote a corporate image. Nice professional photos to be used on webpages and in promotional material.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:16 am

i guess you mean something like photos with controled background and shadows? For people it is rather challanging in home environment as you need pretty lots of space for the background and the proper lighting. Alternatively if you have a camera with sufficiently bright lens (2.8 or less preferrably) and the aperture control you can do it outside and play with bokeh (via depth of field).

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:45 am

x9200 wrote:i guess you mean something like photos with controled background and shadows? For people it is rather challanging in home environment as you need pretty lots of space for the background and the proper lighting. Alternatively if you have a camera with sufficiently bright lens (2.8 or less preferrably) and the aperture control you can do it outside and play with bokeh (via depth of field).
I found a few pro's online, so have asked them for quotes :) Thanks anyways....

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:59 pm

Pro photos require two things... a proper combination of lighting and post photo retouching... everything from skin color to touching up that dark spot on your chin.

That's why it costs.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 1:37 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Pro photos require two things... a proper combination of lighting and post photo retouching... everything from skin color to touching up that dark spot on your chin.

That's why it costs.
The quotes I have received ranges from 150-200$ which is actually not that bad for the work that has to go into it.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 1:42 pm

Yep, it is not that trivial and takes more post-processing when done at home. When I made a website for my wife's company I used half of the photos I took (i have the basic studio equipment) but all the head line ones I bough from the stock. You can not really compete with somebody with professional studio and doing it for a living. Also for the time reasons.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 2:15 pm

x9200 wrote:Yep, it is not that trivial and takes more post-processing when done at home. When I made a website for my wife's company I used half of the photos I took (i have the basic studio equipment) but all the head line ones I bough from the stock. You can not really compete with somebody with professional studio and doing it for a living. Also for the time reasons.
I guess my initial post was targeting someone trying to go from amateur state, willing to get more experience by doing some shoots for less :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 4:11 pm

from my experience the major hassle is to set up the studio. if one has it ready he could charge this $150-250 for a simple job with minor postprocessing. I do it liketwice a year for my kid portret studio photos and do later a lot of postprocessing because I have a foldable background (creases). If what you found so far fails you may try the clubsnap forum. There should be some people over there looking for this kind of job.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 4:21 pm

x9200 wrote:from my experience the major hassle is to set up the studio. if one has it ready he could charge this $150-250 for a simple job with minor postprocessing. I do it liketwice a year for my kid portret studio photos and do later a lot of postprocessing because I have a foldable background (creases). If what you found so far fails you may try the clubsnap forum. There should be some people over there looking for this kind of job.
Thanks for the hint. Will see what I get back. Currently looking at what they offer at White Room Studio on River Valley Road.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 6:54 am

Hey - maybe you want to do it yourself... I found this site and the effects are quite amazing, and seemingly easy to use.

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 7:37 am

All the photos over there have already a proper background and are only the face photographs. Frankly, this is the easiest part to correct and free Gimp is good enough to do the job for a web page. If something looks too `shopped it is also not good unless they are Chinese wedding photos.