Singapore Expats

Just How Easy is it to Mingle in Singapore?

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:45 pm

jktokyo wrote:man, either you drunk or you are really cynical person... nobody says looking for dates or sex, it's always possibility to meet some fun people, for different interests, drink buddy, travel partner... etc.

maybe thats why you never met somebody cool in a bar... cos whatever in ur mind is sex... lol
You are going to fit in Singapore just perfectly. You seem a prime candidate to help keep the TFR low. :devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
jktokyo wrote:man, either you drunk or you are really cynical person... nobody says looking for dates or sex, it's always possibility to meet some fun people, for different interests, drink buddy, travel partner... etc.

maybe thats why you never met somebody cool in a bar... cos whatever in ur mind is sex... lol
You are going to fit in Singapore just perfectly. You seem a prime candidate to help keep the TFR low. :devil:
Or just keep unwanted pregnancies and the spread of STDs low? :twisted: (Perspective :cool: )

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:59 pm

And I was only kidding, on an already irreverent topic :???:

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:00 pm

JR8 wrote:And I was only kidding, on an already irreverent topic :???:
...and the thread was doomed!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:02 pm

Yeah TG it wasn't Friday.... or it might have got a bit randy.

jktokyo

Post by jktokyo » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:19 pm

Last edited by jktokyo on Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:48 pm

Yes, but so highly leavened by your insightful wisdom.

[/cynic]
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 9:29 am

jktokyo wrote:haha... i have to say this is one of the most interesting posts in the forum, i did actually read all posts here.

Agree, its not easy to meet random people here in sg, its even better in Tokyo. Btw, the bar in Tokyo is called Geronimos, my favorite place, fun as hell, everybody gets whatever you want... casual talks, random drink buddies, or maybe more... lol

Mogambos here is a bit disappointing, i think. But well... maybe New Asia bar at raffles city?

Good luck!

JK.
Personal opinion, New Asia Bar, just like all the other chick-magnet bars with the likes of Ku De Ta, Avalon, Attica (I could go on but oh well), is just as superficial.

Girls in groups there just want to have fun (or get hit on) and boys in groups there just want to have fun (or score girls from the first group), while the lone men/women there are either closet prostitutes or lone business travellers who probably discovered they are in the wrong place anyway.

You may have better luck striking conversations with random people in pubs, where people tend to relax and chatty (without blaring techno/dance music in the background). Irish pubs are good starters.

I personally have better luck chatting up random strangers in pubs over humble pints than in bars over expensive cocktails.

Hope you find this helpful. Singapore, just like other metropolitan city, is ruled by materialism so you gotta know where to find the right bunch. You don't want to go to places where girls wants your money (if you're a guy). And materialistic women do not go to pubs because there won't be loud music to hide the fact they can't hold decent conversations, and pubs aren't dark enough for these girls to hide that extra layer of make-up and, generally, hide pretty much anything under that layer.
Last edited by the lynx on Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:35 am

the lynx wrote:Personally opinion, New Asia Bar, just like all the other chick-magnet bars with the likes of Ku De Ta, Avalon, Attica (I could go on but oh well), is just as superficial.
It is ironic isn't it, the most expensive, and hardest to get into places, are the places with least appeal to a whole section of society, and the most appeal to another. It is very polarising.

If you want to meet a 'nice girl' I'd rate your chances higher on a Friday evening at Boat Quay, rather than any of the 'cruisey bars/clubs around town'.

p.s. +1 to your post by the way

jktokyo

Post by jktokyo » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:52 am

the lynx wrote:
Personal opinion, New Asia Bar, just like all the other chick-magnet bars with the likes of Ku De Ta, Avalon, Attica (I could go on but oh well), is just as superficial.

Girls in groups there just want to have fun (or get hit on) and boys in groups there just want to have fun (or score girls from the first group), while the lone men/women there are either closet prostitutes or lone business travellers who probably discovered they are in the wrong place anyway.

You may have better luck striking conversations with random people in pubs, where people tend to relax and chatty (without blaring techno/dance music in the background). Irish pubs are good starters.

I personally have better luck chatting up random strangers in pubs over humble pints than in bars over expensive cocktails.

Hope you find this helpful. Singapore, just like other metropolitan city, is ruled by materialism so you gotta know where to find the right bunch. You don't want to go to places where girls wants your money (if you're a guy). And materialistic women do not go to pubs because there won't be loud music to hide the fact they can't hold decent conversations, and pubs aren't dark enough for these girls to hide that extra layer of make-up and, generally, hide pretty much anything under that layer.
Well, I guess the whole point is what you looking for in a place.

New Asia bar, as you said, people go in groups, some nights DJ is good, music and dancing is fun. It's a place for friends (or just people you know) to go together and have some good time. For anyone alone, it's not really the right place to go. I wouldnt go there by myself.

Pubs could be fun, for different interests, def not for DJ or dancing. There are different types of fun, no need to deny one just cos you enjoy another. I am not a big fan of clubbing all the time, but nothing wrong with clubbing, and no need to be so judgemental about whoever goes clubbing. There are varieties, def some morons in club can hardly hold a decent conversation, but some others might just not be interested in talking to a stranger at all.

For different purpose, u go to different places. Personally I like boat quay, more laid back, good for people watching.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:42 pm

So...list of bar/pubs to go to in Singapore for us loners, please. :)

Or just go to a hawker and order big bottles of Tiger and converse like some uncles? :lol:
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:54 pm

I always found more 'productivity' by:

- chatting with neighbours by the pool
- Chatting with people, probably in similar jobs etc, at Boat Quay, after work
- recreational course like, a cooking workshop.

However if you're in the f***-and-chuck sphere (as most of us have been at some time I expect), then:
- Go clubbing, and 'make friends' at Zouk, Asia Bar Altitude What Ever

I'm wondering if the $$$ required to access the market, equate to the temporariness of what will result ...
:)

p.s. I've often found the best friends I make, are from mutually shared interests together. Whether that be cooking, diving, landlording or shooting. Oh and usually when I don't go and seek them...

'Birds of a feather, flock together'

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:35 pm

JR8 wrote:I always found more 'productivity' by:

However if you're in the f***-and-chuck sphere (as most of us have been at some time I expect), then:

I'm wondering if the $$$ required to access the market, equate to the temporariness of what will result ...

p.s. I've often found the best friends I make, are from mutually shared interests together. Whether that be cooking, diving, landlording or shooting. Oh and usually when I don't go and seek them...

Wow JR8 looks like you just redeemed yourself!

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 1:31 pm

JR8 wrote:I always found more 'productivity' by:

Yes yes yes