Singapore Expats

Will I have an issue getting another EP?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Will I have an issue getting another EP?

Post by BoroBoy » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 9:26 pm

I am currently job hunting for positions in HK and Singapore, however I have just been thinking back to a tax issue that happened when I left Singapore and wondering if it will impact getting another EP.

I lived in Singapore between feb 2007 - sept 2009. In sept 2009 I was transferred by my company to Japan as part of a promotion. At the time I thought my company would withhold the last months salary to cover my tax so I didnt think about it again, although I probably should have. I had money flowing around my SG accounts for relocation funds and per diem expenses for my last month in Singapore etc, plus a big bonus so I never did the maths.

Anyway at some point the next year a courier delivered a letter to my employers office in Singapore and reception signed for it. I asked them to open it and it was a notice telling me I was barred from leaving Singapore and to report to the tax office for unpaid taxes.

Turns out that my company should have withheld the last month (they told me they would) but someone in HR messed up.

So, the same day the letter was delivered to my office in SG I called the tax office and explained the situation and the same day sent a cheque from Japan via DHL express for the full amount. The next day (or maybe 2 days later) I called the tax office and they said thank you we received the cheque, good luck, end of story.

I have been back to singapore umpteen times as a visitor since 2010, but do you think this will affect any future EP application?

cheers, bb

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Will I have an issue getting another EP?

Post by the lynx » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 9:52 am

BoroBoy wrote:I am currently job hunting for positions in HK and Singapore, however I have just been thinking back to a tax issue that happened when I left Singapore and wondering if it will impact getting another EP.

I lived in Singapore between feb 2007 - sept 2009. In sept 2009 I was transferred by my company to Japan as part of a promotion. At the time I thought my company would withhold the last months salary to cover my tax so I didnt think about it again, although I probably should have. I had money flowing around my SG accounts for relocation funds and per diem expenses for my last month in Singapore etc, plus a big bonus so I never did the maths.

Anyway at some point the next year a courier delivered a letter to my employers office in Singapore and reception signed for it. I asked them to open it and it was a notice telling me I was barred from leaving Singapore and to report to the tax office for unpaid taxes.

Turns out that my company should have withheld the last month (they told me they would) but someone in HR messed up.

So, the same day the letter was delivered to my office in SG I called the tax office and explained the situation and the same day sent a cheque from Japan via DHL express for the full amount. The next day (or maybe 2 days later) I called the tax office and they said thank you we received the cheque, good luck, end of story.

I have been back to singapore umpteen times as a visitor since 2010, but do you think this will affect any future EP application?

cheers, bb
Don't worry. You may be surprised but it is a common occurrence, no thanks to the substandard HR quality here.

The same thing happened to me. The HR of my former company did not deduct my last salary for tax and that time, I was uninformed of this procedure and its possible implications. To make things even more confusing, I had my GIRO arrangement to pay my taxes from my bank account so I thought I got that covered - as long as I still have my bank account in Singapore.

Left Singapore ignorantly blissful (the immigration officer didn't even stop me - not that I know that he should have though). Went backpacking for 3 months and during that time, the HR kept on trying to contact me because the company has been receiving those dreaded red letters from IRAS for my unpaid tax (because I no longer reside in my registered address anyway). Obviously an unhappy git.

I called IRAS and explained the situation/confusion. The officer told me to just pay at the nearest AXS or via internet banking. Paid my dues, followed up after that and they confirmed the receipt.

After my backpacking trip, I had an offer to work in Singapore again and the pass application went through without a problem.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 10:13 am

When I switched companies here, I was extra careful about these matters, as I had to go on a vacation during the transition and didnt want to be stopped at immigration. The approach I took was, I called up HR and told them I will pay the tax myself and I asked them to do full refund of all my withholdings.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:34 am

Same thing happened to me back in the 90s.

Got spat out pretty quickly and left to fend for myself. But the right tax got paid (yes, I was as concerned as you are), and I never heard another word.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks everyone! I feel much better now!

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:00 pm

I was in the same situation a year ago and it was all sorted out once the payment was made. So don't worry about it.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:22 pm

Ditto. My secretarial peeps had cocked up and as a result I received the dreaded letter. If I recall correctly, it may have even contained the word "arrest warrant".

Made a beeline to IRAS and paid them. By NETS. No muss, no fuss. The staff there were all rather unimpressed.

So, yeah, I guess it's not exactly a rare thing to happen.