Singapore Expats

Surrender EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
machoman

Post by machoman » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 1:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Almost sounds like you are doing a runner. Have you notified your employer a month in advance that you are leaving? Have you had your IR-21 filed by your employer and the resulting Income Tax bill deducted from your final salary? You need to clear with your employer on your last day of work. If you haven't and you haven't cleared with IRAS, when you try to return your EP, you will be check through the database to ensure compliance and possibly be retained if you haven't been cleared by IRAS. Why not do it the correct way? Or are you doing a runner from your employer?

If you do it properly, your employer will collect your card and print your SVP direct from the MOM site and give it to you. You will then hand that to immigration and be on your merry way.
Why does my employer not tell me all these things?

machoman

Post by machoman » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 7:35 am

AngMoG wrote:
machoman wrote:
AngMoG wrote: Just take the SVP, as you will need to have a valid visa when exiting Singapore, and the EP will already be canceled at that time.

Well my EP will not be cancelled by the time i leave Singapore. Infact it will be done after I leave and so i may not need an SVP. Now at the airport i will not have the EP card to show to anyone as i will have surrendered the same to my employer. Is this normal? That is my doubt...
](*,)

As the lynx also said, the EP is canceled instantly when it is canceled by the employer. From that moment on, you will be on the social visit pass.

I do not understand why you want to make your own life difficult by not taking the SVP with you that your employer is required to give to you. It may well be that this does not present a problem while exiting. But know that they would be well within their rights to give you trouble and fine you if you do not have your SVP for presentation while going through immigration one last time.
Thank you very much, you took the pains to explain in detail. I will make sure i do it the right way.

machoman

Post by machoman » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 7:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
BoroBoy wrote:How is this situation handled for gardening leave? i.e. in finance when I quit a job I need to give 3 months notice but this is taken as gardening leave where I am still under the official employment of the company for 3 more moths but my security pass and workstation access are revoked. For all intent and purpose I no longer work for the company. In that situation many people will leave the country before their employment is officially terminated.
You are totally incorrect. If you are on Garden Leave you serving out your notice. You are being paid whilst on Garden Leave and if you leave early you are breaking the terms of your employment agreement. You are in the wrong. Full Stop. If pme leaves before their notice period is up (it doesn't matter if one is in the office or sitting on their duff at home watching the tellie). As long as they are on the payroll they are employed. It sounded like he was trying to do a runner. Looks like my intuition was right again. Only in his case it is out of ignorance as he apparently didn't know any better. Would you rather that they gave you a desk and chair in the broom closet and just let you sit there every day for three months without security clearance due to what sounds like proprietary information that you may have had access to? Think about it.
Sorry if your intuition was about me you are wrong this time. Take it easy SMS...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 8:58 am

I'm glad I was wrong! :)

We only have the written word to go by. Go back and read your posts with a open mind and see what it sounds like to people who have had dozens come on the board, over the years, wanting affirmation of what they want to do. Even though in most cases they already know it's wrong. We only have your written words to go by, if they are shady, e.g., especially leaving without your EP being cancelled, then that sends up red flags. Maybe it would behoove you to reread your posts before you hit submit. Try hitting Preview first. Even I make those mistakes because my typing is no longer as fast as I assemble sentences in my mind due to fingers that aren't as flexible as they were 60 years ago. Four people responded to your posts, all read it the same way. What does that tell you?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 9:09 am

To be honest, when I wrote the post before this one, I was hitting the exasperation limit that can only be described by the local phrase, "Khiang, mai kay khiang!"

OP, this is for you. I hope our posts helped you to understand the EP handover procedure, regardless what you make of the system.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:18 am

machoman wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Almost sounds like you are doing a runner. Have you notified your employer a month in advance that you are leaving? Have you had your IR-21 filed by your employer and the resulting Income Tax bill deducted from your final salary? You need to clear with your employer on your last day of work. If you haven't and you haven't cleared with IRAS, when you try to return your EP, you will be check through the database to ensure compliance and possibly be retained if you haven't been cleared by IRAS. Why not do it the correct way? Or are you doing a runner from your employer?

If you do it properly, your employer will collect your card and print your SVP direct from the MOM site and give it to you. You will then hand that to immigration and be on your merry way.
Most HR in SG that I have interacted with sucked. So that may well be a reason.

Please, for your own sake, make sure your employer filed the IR-21 for you WELL BEFORE you leave. While on EP, your employer is required to withhold (part of) your last salary to cover your outstanding tax debt. He should pay you what is left, if any, after getting the answer from IRAS. If he has not withheld anything, be prepared to pay him the tax back when the time comes.

Alternatively, some employers may allow you to fill out a form of undertaking that says that you will file it on your own. But in that case, you must take responsibility yourself, file with IRAS in a timely manner, and pay your taxes when you get the answer. I am not sure what you implications are on leaving the country if you have filed but not paid yet (unlike the first alternative, the gahmen has no guarantee that you will pay).

Inform yourself online about these - MoM and IRAS websites should have the relevant information.

machoman

Post by machoman » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm glad I was wrong! :)

We only have the written word to go by. Go back and read your posts with a open mind and see what it sounds like to people who have had dozens come on the board, over the years, wanting affirmation of what they want to do. Even though in most cases they already know it's wrong. We only have your written words to go by, if they are shady, e.g., especially leaving without your EP being cancelled, then that sends up red flags. Maybe it would behoove you to reread your posts before you hit submit. Try hitting Preview first. Even I make those mistakes because my typing is no longer as fast as I assemble sentences in my mind due to fingers that aren't as flexible as they were 60 years ago. Four people responded to your posts, all read it the same way. What does that tell you?
SMS, the length of your response shows that you are upset!!!

You need to realize that you and another friend should have desisted from using such comments about a person on a public forum. I cannot take kindly to that.

Yes all people read it the same way but at least two of them tried explaining patiently without casting aspersions.

Anyway Thanks to you that you took the time out to answer my queries and i am grateful to you for that.

machoman

Post by machoman » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:51 am

AngMoG wrote:
machoman wrote:

Most HR in SG that I have interacted with sucked. So that may well be a reason.

Please, for your own sake, make sure your employer filed the IR-21 for you WELL BEFORE you leave. While on EP, your employer is required to withhold (part of) your last salary to cover your outstanding tax debt. He should pay you what is left, if any, after getting the answer from IRAS. If he has not withheld anything, be prepared to pay him the tax back when the time comes.

Alternatively, some employers may allow you to fill out a form of undertaking that says that you will file it on your own. But in that case, you must take responsibility yourself, file with IRAS in a timely manner, and pay your taxes when you get the answer. I am not sure what you implications are on leaving the country if you have filed but not paid yet (unlike the first alternative, the gahmen has no guarantee that you will pay).

Inform yourself online about these - MoM and IRAS websites should have the relevant information.
Thanks for that!!!

Yes a part of my salary has been withheld for the tax. The pay slip reflects the same. Also checked with IRAS website about my dues and it matches what has been withheld.

I do not know about IR-21. need to check???

Thanks again...

machoman

Post by machoman » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:55 am

the lynx wrote:To be honest, when I wrote the post before this one, I was hitting the exasperation limit that can only be described by the local phrase, "Khiang, mai kay khiang!"

OP, this is for you. I hope our posts helped you to understand the EP handover procedure, regardless what you make of the system.
ey

First let me thank you for your responses to my query. You have indeed been patient with me.

My confusion stems from the fact different sources have different versions about the same thing. To give you an example I called MOM this morning and asked them the exact same question. They gave me two options: one is to cancel EP, take STVP and leave. They also gave me a second option...

I hope you realize now what i am trying to say!!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:11 am

Boy, you have a lot to learn. First of all, I don't get upset. Heck, I don't really even care. Secondly, had you bothered to read my earlier reply I already mention the IR-21 when I asked you if your employer had timely filed it. The IR-21 IS your tax Clearance as AMG just explained again. It has to be filed at least one month before your last day of employment. If filed online, by the employer, it will be cleared within 7 to 10 days and as soon as the employer pays the amount, then you and the employer will get a letter advising you that you have tax clearance. It's required, by law, that the employer acts as the tax agent and collects the taxes due you by withholding it from your salary. IRAS say that as soon as you give notice, the employer MUST withhold ALL salaries due and payable until such time as the clearance is given by IRAS. If you have checked you mailbox regularly, assuming you employer had your correct address, you should have received notification.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

machoman

Post by machoman » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Boy, you have a lot to learn. First of all, I don't get upset. Heck, I don't really even care. Secondly, had you bothered to read my earlier reply I already mention the IR-21 when I asked you if your employer had timely filed it. The IR-21 IS your tax Clearance as AMG just explained again. It has to be filed at least one month before your last day of employment. If filed online, by the employer, it will be cleared within 7 to 10 days and as soon as the employer pays the amount, then you and the employer will get a letter advising you that you have tax clearance. It's required, by law, that the employer acts as the tax agent and collects the taxes due you by withholding it from your salary. IRAS say that as soon as you give notice, the employer MUST withhold ALL salaries due and payable until such time as the clearance is given by IRAS. If you have checked you mailbox regularly, assuming you employer had your correct address, you should have received notification.
Thank you SMS...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:15 am

I think OP has pretty much covered the ground from his description. Final salary deducted for taxes, he already checked the amount with IRAS, which would have meant that his employer indeed has filled up the IR-21 prior to that.

I think he is good to go. Just need to know where to hand that green card.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 1:22 pm

the lynx wrote:I think he is good to go. Just need to know where to hand that green card.
I covered that already (previous page).

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 1:28 pm

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:I think he is good to go. Just need to know where to hand that green card.
I covered that already (previous page).
We all did :wink: