Singapore Expats

Online Gambling sites to be blocked ......

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 12:53 pm

Or the lottery, scratch-cards, horse-racing...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 1:10 pm

The gahment don't like it when people spend their money on leisure activities that theyt cannot tax the f**k out of to make up for the low income taxes here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 1:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The gahment don't like it when people spend their money on leisure activities that theyt cannot tax the f**k out of to make up for the low income taxes here.
I was going to suggest something similar to the first part of your comment, but felt it might have been a little too risque :)

p.s. why do politicians spend their expensive time suggesting things like this, when even a 7 (?) year old could set up routing an internet connection via a VPN/proxy ip. It's a bit like King Canute holding back the tides (are satellite TV dishes still effectively-banned here? What's the point, when nowadays you can get all that content via a VPN?)
Last edited by JR8 on Sun, 01 Dec 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 2:27 pm

Satellite dishes. yep, except for the embassies and Caldecott Hill and the Gahment.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 3:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Satellite dishes. yep, except for the embassies and Caldecott Hill and the Gahment.
Hmm, does there come a point where the authorities realise that their (occasionally) archaic rules end up, net-net, making Singapore appear a, erm, a rather archaic place? Like their earlier ban on the internet (except embassies and bank trading floors).

I mean what's the point of banning sat-TV, when the content is so simple to get via alternative means? I ask as I have an impression it clashes with the image SG seeks to project to the world.

[Just thinking aloud].... :???:

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 8:20 am

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Satellite dishes. yep, except for the embassies and Caldecott Hill and the Gahment.
Hmm, does there come a point where the authorities realise that their (occasionally) archaic rules end up, net-net, making Singapore appear a, erm, a rather archaic place? Like their earlier ban on the internet (except embassies and bank trading floors).

I mean what's the point of banning sat-TV, when the content is so simple to get via alternative means? I ask as I have an impression it clashes with the image SG seeks to project to the world.

[Just thinking aloud].... :???:
You are not the only one with those thoughts. Makes no sense :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 8:29 am

Frankly, it does make sense. At least from a aesthetic point of view. little satellite dishes on top of buildings sticking out of windows, etc. are, to me just as hideous as the galah poles used for laundry but the laundry poles are a necessary evil. Add to them, dishes, myriad wires hanging willy-nilly, yeah, I can see reasoning today. The fact that most stuff can be accessed online anyway wouldn't eliminate the eyesore of all those dishes IF it were allowed.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 8:46 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, it does make sense. At least from a aesthetic point of view. little satellite dishes on top of buildings sticking out of windows, etc. are, to me just as hideous as the galah poles used for laundry but the laundry poles are a necessary evil. Add to them, dishes, myriad wires hanging willy-nilly, yeah, I can see reasoning today. The fact that most stuff can be accessed online anyway wouldn't eliminate the eyesore of all those dishes IF it were allowed.
Hence why it is allowed to hang your laundry on broom sticks :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 1:26 pm

Because traditionally that is how it was done. It also makes sense from a practical point of view as it keeps from having laundry strewn over the balconies (although I still see that done when it's FTs in the flats and not locals). Dryers are expensive to operate therefore it makes sense to hang them outside where they will dry in less than 1.5 hours. Additionally, by installing the galah pole holders on the kitchen side of the flat on all the flats in a block, it at least keeps it consistent. You have to get permission to install them anywhere else on the outside of your unit. Some have them installed in the kitchen from the ceilings and therefore do use the holders outside at all. But it sure makes a mess of your kitchen traffic wise.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 10:08 pm

Hey presto, day later ... the suggestion appears as a cartoon.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Demon-cratic Singapore